Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question,

Is there a way to identify a magnesium wheel? Will it have any special markings on it? Or do you just have to trust the person that describes it?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: identifying wheels... (n737nc)

All you can do for sure is weigh it. Depending on what company makes it, look at their website and find their specified weight for that wheel. You'll have to look up the information for PVM's or Dymags, or other ones, but this is information from the Motowheels website for the stock 3 spoke brembos and marchesini wheels:

Marchesini 10 spoke forged magnesium: Front: 6.04lbs, Rear: 7.76lbs
Marchesini 5 spoke magnesium: Front - 6.8lbs Rear - 8.7lbs
Marchesini Alum Forged 10 spoke: Front: 7.64 pounds; Rear: 9.98
Ducati OEM aluminum 3-spokes, 11.5lbs front, 13lbs rear
Ducati OEM aluminum 5-spokes (996/998), 9.25lbs front, 12lbs

Hope it helps.

Andy

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: identifying wheels... (andito77)

The easiest way is to post a pic here...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: identifying wheels... (Holiday)

so who is the actual manufacturer of the Ducati 5 spoke OEM ?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: identifying wheels... (n737nc)

on the front wheel the suface in the center without paint(behind the discs) is kind of goldish if its mag and alucolored if alu *duh*

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: identifying wheels... (throttlehead)

throttlehead,

Marchesini is the maker of the 5 spoke cast aluminum OEM's.

Andy

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: identifying wheels... (andito77)

that's what i thought i knew...and then was thrown off by the list of wheel weights that changed name to OEM Ducati

One thing i do find curious and have asked before t those that know......why is a cast AL wheel heavier than forged AL ? Is is because Forged AL is inherently stronger due t the process and can be made thinner/lighter ?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: identifying wheels... (throttlehead)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by throttlehead »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">One thing i do find curious and have asked before t those that know......why is a cast AL wheel heavier than forged AL ? Is is because Forged AL is inherently stronger due t the process and can be made thinner/lighter ? </TD></TR></TABLE>
correct.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: identifying wheels... (s4strati)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by s4strati »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">correct.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Strati, just for the record, I wasn't doubting you. I was doubting the person with the front wheel. Just didn't want to get suckered into buying something just to get it off of their shelf........ya know?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts