Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been out riding at last as the weather here in Montana has been the pits for weeks, the sun is out now and so am I. Any who, I figured out if I set my clutch lever to the lowest setting the clutch action works like a charm. The Surflex engages and disengages in about the first inch of clutch lever travel, it is a one or two finger affair. I found that if I set it out as far as it goes two fingers is it. If I set it in as far as it goes I have to use them all because the lever hits any fingers remaining on the grip. I like using all of my fingers so it is set now to the closest to the grip setting, I found this works fantastic for me, short fingers. The engagement is sweet and no lurching or other problems. For street riding the Slipper is sort of a waste of money except for the super easy lever pull. If I get agressive with it all I get is a small chirp of protest from the back tire and that is it.
I would highly recommend a Surflex if anyone is concidering a Slipper Clutch for their Ducati with what I have experienced so far. The real test will be how it holds up over the long haul.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: I love my Surflex Slipper Clutch (Sagerider)

Sagerider, I love my Surflex slipper as well. Besides being easy to install and maintain, they work perfectly right out of the box. My first Surflex has well over 20K miles and is still going strong with all the original components. First mod I made to my 05 R was a Surflex slipper. Got mine from Motowheels.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Don't flame me if I'm off track here but if you install a slipper do you need to upgrade anything else? I read some threads in which people are putting in R clutch plates and basket... Trying to make sure if I do this I do it right.. thanks!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: I love my Surflex Slipper Clutch (drthompson65)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drthompson65 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...if you install a slipper do you need to upgrade anything else? </TD></TR></TABLE>
Just buy it and slap it in. Piece-o-cake.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: I love my Surflex Slipper Clutch (drthompson65)

I got mine through MotoWheels as well, good outfit.
As far as installation goes I bought a clutch hub holder from MotoWheels, a little spendy. It is a quality tool and I did not break anything when I installed the clutch so in the end it was worth the hundred bucks. There was nothing else to purchase part wise and installation was straight forward. There was zip for directions included with the clutch so a little reserch is required.
As always the Speedzilla family came through with the correct information for the install. for anyone considering installing a Surflex save this site on your hard drive,
it is a step by step instruction manual. Excellant pictures and all that stuff like that there.
http://www.everyauto.com/slipper/slipper.html
The torque requirements for the clutch nut require the use of an impact gun to remove the stock clutch nut. It can be removed without one but I would not want to go that route. For not a whole lot of cash you can pick up an electric impact gun just about anywhere or borrow a buddies.
A note of caution: The lead-in on the socket to remove the stock clutch nut is almost as deep as the nut is thick. This condition requires you to grind the socket lead-in off, about a quarter inch. This will give you a nice flat face and full engagement on the stock clutch nut. If you were to round that baby off it would really suck for you. The torque for these guys is like 140 ftlbs if memory serves me right.
The hardest item to get was the 19 mm allen socket for the Surflex clutch nut. I got one, had to order it, it is useful for other stuff too like removing the front wheel on the R1.
Once you get all of the tools required it is a piece of cake to install.
Tools required:

Impact gun (not required but suggested)

1 1/4 inch socket for stock clutch nut, fits perfect.
(grind face off to remove lead-in)

Torque wrenches (two required, one 0 to 150 ftlbs and one in inch pounds for lesser values. Note: torque wrenches are only accurate in the middle portions of there range. This translates into don't try to put ten ftlbs on a bolt with a torque wrench that goes to 200 ftlbs.

Set of metric sockets

Set of metric allens

Red Loctite

Clutch hub holder tool

19 mm allen socket (male)

Six pack of Corona Extra (lime optional)

Alternate method:
Take it to your local shop and have them install it.
Tools required:

Patience

More money

2 six packs of Corona Extra (lime optional)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Great info! Now I'm torn between new one piece leathers or this clutch. Clutch is easier to hide from the wife.. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts