Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Dr. Carbon
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
brought it home about a week ago. Fun bike, sounds good, enjoying it so far. I don't get much time to ride but it's good to know that it's there if I want it.

its a 98 with a little over 66K stock except for some rotors, pads, filter, speedo healer and sprockets. Previous owner was a stand-up guy from what I got to know of him.

It was a steal at $1800, best deal I've seen

The color is way off in the photo, it's a blood red almost

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
what ever you do try not to ride it!!! your gonna fall in love and find yourself riding it more and more. Trust me I just had one till a deer jumped out and snapped my frame. I had 50k on it cbr1000 front end and ohlins rear. Bike was a dream to ride and from what ive been told will beat an RC in a quarter mile

·
Dr. Carbon
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how difficult was the fork swap?

I don't like the feel of the front susp and the brakes.....guess I"m used to the rc.... It does'nt feel like what I would, and doesn't inspire confidence like the rc does.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Go check out the Superhawk forum, a wealth of useful info for you....

·
:rolleyes
305 Posts
how difficult was the fork swap?

I don't like the feel of the front susp and the brakes.....guess I"m used to the rc.... It does'nt feel like what I would, and doesn't inspire confidence like the rc does.
Meh, just buy my forks and shock. Dunno if they'll fit, but I'll make you a deal! :p

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just sold my cbr1000 forks and ohlins shock for 650 both.

but front end is bolt up I didnt grab the bearing numbers I cant remeber if their the same type but it was all CBR1000 from brake lever to wheel

·
Registered
45 Posts
heres the front end I pulled off mine

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
Ha! My second (official) bike was a superhawk. Mine came in a box of parts though, and I never got everything put back together.... I'd love to pick up another one, but after I get a 250 ninja track bike, then a XR400 for the wife, I'll probably pick up a motard and bring out my inner hooligan.

I've had a couple good friends that had superhawks, and from them I've heard that the gas mileage goes to absolute shit if you pipe and jet them (like 20 mpg). That combined with the small tank makes for frequent fill ups. If I remember correctly I got like 80 miles before the gas light came on when I rode my buddy's with pipes and a jet kit. The thing is much more comfortable than the RC though.

Not sure if it's true but some Superchicken trivia for you: Apperently they have the largest diameter carburetors ever fitted to a production Honda.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The color is way off in the photo, it's a blood red almost
Actually it's called Italian Red (R157) and is/was used on VFR's for years and thus is often called VFR red.

I've had two superhawks and one RC51 and found the hawks to be a more fun streetbike. Range was about the same on all of them but I pioneered an easy solution: VFR tank mod.

Alternative front end suggestion: cbr600F4i forks/triples. Sure they aren't as "hot" looking as USD units but they can be found dirt cheap and you still get both compression/rebound adjustments and stiffness (43mm). Depending on weight, you might need springs.

100% bolt on and only slightly shorter than the stockers. USD solutions are shorter still and can have clearance issues with the side radiator hose routings.

You can still use the superhawk wheel and rotors too further reducing costs. Another plus: RC calipers will bolt on if you have spares but the F4i units are fine and much better than the stockers. 1999 F4 (not F4i) red fender is a correct R157 match.

I don't have a pic on my photobucket site of them installed but here's one with RC51 micron pipes (not a bolt on):

I recently sourced another F4i front end for my custom VFR and found the market very favorable for patient buyers. :twocents

If an $1800 deal popped up in my neighborhood, I probably have superhawk #3. Join SuperHawk Forum if you haven't. When looking for additional forums, I joined speedzilla but that forum was much more active and informative.

Have fun, it's a sweet bike.

·
Dr. Carbon
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for all that info! I'd love to swap the forks and the brakes for something more rc51 like. F4 forks really sound great, but do you know of any where you jsut need to remove the fork tubes and NOT touch the tripples? not sure how my wife would take to this add on stuff though.... I guess I will have to take it little by little and see just how much riding I can get done.

is there a noticable difference swapping the forks and calipers?

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
96-97 CBR900RR forks are a direct bolt-on too (and allow you to retain the wheel, spacers, rotors,...). Here is step-by-step write-up:
http://www.vtwo.demon.co.uk/firestorm/firestorm.htm Should you choose to go this route let me know I have a great set of upper and lower triple clamps (replaced them with some Ontario Moto Tech units a couple monts back)....

P.S. I am now running EBC O/S 320mm rotors and caliper brackets but ran the stock bits up until a few months ago....

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts