Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Munky
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm official! Im in the VIR crash club. Turn 1 tucked the front, tried to save it with my knee and elbow until the front brake lever dug in then I was toast. Slid for awhile, jumped up did a quick body check, picked my bike up and hung out on the tire wall for the rest of the session. Rode back to the paddock and fixed what was broke and went back out and I had a lurid front slide in turn 4. Parked the RC and got some new rubber put on. Went great after that.

By the way everyone who told me to ditch the Michelin H2 front because it was a marble was right. I had 2 track days on them and it just let loose with no warning. I setup for turn 1 got my shifts done, put my knee down just started to pickup the throttle and before I knew it I was on my side.

I have a full sequence of pictures that will be coming in the mail of the crash. I will post em here when they come.

cya
ian

·
Tough Crowd Racing #167
1,374 Posts
What a loser, crashing at VIR. :woot:

Rookie mistake:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Damn man, sorry it happened. You won't get any sympathy from Rookie on VIR mistakes.

But I can't wait to see the crash pictures.:D

·
Registered
728 Posts
T1-T2 at VIR really does catch it's share of riders. I have warned a number of people about that H2 front, but there can't be too many of those left out there anymore. The H2 rear is a track tire and they were very good, but that crappy H2 front is a street tire and was known to be a crappy track tire.

Michelin really has awesome street tires now for track use. The Pilot Powers are an unbelievable choice for a trackday. My lap times are VERY similiar on Michelin Pilot Power (street) and Michelin Pilot Race tires, suprisingly similiar. You can really rack up the track miles on the street tires, and they are a better choice if you don't run tire warmers (they warm up quicker and withstand heat cycles better). Get a set of Pilot Powers for your next trackday Munky, you will not be dissapointed.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Hoovenater said:
T1-T2 at VIR really does catch it's share of riders. I have warned a number of people about that H2 front, but there can't be too many of those left out there anymore. The H2 rear is a track tire and they were very good, but that crappy H2 front is a street tire and was known to be a crappy track tire.

Michelin really has awesome street tires now for track use. The Pilot Powers are an unbelievable choice for a trackday. My lap times are VERY similiar on Michelin Pilot Power (street) and Michelin Pilot Race tires, suprisingly similiar. You can really rack up the track miles on the street tires, and they are a better choice if you don't run tire warmers (they warm up quicker and withstand heat cycles better). Get a set of Pilot Powers for your next trackday Munky, you will not be dissapointed.

I loved the S2 fronts and S2 rear combo. The were the DOT race tire I think. Took a wile to warm up on the street and would not recomend then on the street. For me on the track the S2's were fine! Great feel but that all mute now. Powers are the way to go.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Well I am not happy about the crash but I am happy to hear a few of you like the Pilot Powers for the track. I have a set on now that I like a lot - street only - but next year I am going strictly track and hope to save a few bucks with street tires vs. full blown track tires......ie no tire warmers. This site is damn helpful. :rockon

·
Meatball's Dad
2,752 Posts
Sorry to hear you crashed. VIR has it's fair share of tricky turns, #1 is one of them.
Hopefully the bike is easily repaired and comes back at 100%.

Ken

·
Munky
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hoov, thanks for the info on the tires. I put on some diablo corsas on it and everything went fine the rest of the day. I knew my tires were getting close and I could kick my own ass for being such a cheap ass. By the last session I was carving some good lines and really got my confidence back and the control riders were all giving me thumbs up as they blew past me. I read all the posts about the H2 fronts sucking but I never thought that they would just let go with no warning. I have slid the front on my VFR on the track and it just came back with some throttle. This went from all to nothing before I even knew what was happening.

As far as the bike. It wasnt bad at all. I had everthing to fix it except the rear brake pedal. I drilled and tapped the pedal and put in a long screw and called it good. I never missed a session and its a dedicated track bike so a few scratches wont bother me. By the way +1 for Sharkskinz. Other than some surface scratches nothing was wrong with them. And that was with no frame sliders.

Ill post them pics in a few days

ian

·
Munky
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Alrighty here are some quick pictures of my crash.

My crash

Just click on the above linky and browse to the second page and start on photo #26 and then click the previous link to see how it played out. Any suggestions are welcome. Im here to learn and Im not too proud to ask for help!

Ian

·
Meatball's Dad
2,752 Posts
Any crash you walk away from is a good one. At least you were able to get the biek up and running without missing any following sessions. Yours could have been much worse....glad it was an easy one.

Ken

·
Registered
251 Posts
The key to Turns 1&2 at VIR is to be right next to the curb. Nice and smooth for the first 2 feet on the inside, anywhere else through those corners and your in the rippled pavement caused by the cars. :twocents

Actually, just like in my avatar, I belive thats the apex of T1 at VIR, right at the cone:D

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Ah man, cool pics. You were railing through turn one, and then the front just washed out.

I am sure the photographer was thinking "cool I get to take some sweet shots of this guy dropping it"

Glad your ok. Did you say you dropped the bike a 2nd time that day also?

·
Munky
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
glockem45 said:
Ah man, cool pics. You were railing through turn one, and then the front just washed out.

I am sure the photographer was thinking "cool I get to take some sweet shots of this guy dropping it"

Glad your ok. Did you say you dropped the bike a 2nd time that day also?
I didnt crash again. It just let loose in turn 4 just like turn 1,2 except I was able to get it back. Dont know how but it came back. So I parked it and spooned on some new tires.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts