Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. I read with interest a recent post here about Bohn and Knox back protectors. I have a Z Custom suit with a built in back protector, which is similar in design to these other two. Mine is primarily made of CE padding, which I am not sure is enough to protect my spine in a fall. I can poke a pen through mine. I am wondering if the same can be said of all the other types that do not have a linked hard plastic exoskeleton?

I looked at Dainese's and Alpinestars, and they have the exo part that seems to blend into the natural curve of the spine. I would imagine they would be better at deflecting impact - from say a front wheel in the back. I am now in a bit of confusion as to which is best. The Knox type which is made of crushable composite material or the Dainese type with a hard shell? Is it the same theory as with helmets where the softer padding creates less trauma to the head due to less G forces? I am concerned that on a track, in a pack, if I go down and the guys behind cannot stop in time, they might ram into my back. Will CE foam or composite material be enough to stop the impact?

Any thoughts, feedback, experiences, and such are welcome here. I think it is a topic that deserves similar attention the one about Helmets.

Thx - Wim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: I got your back! Who REALLY has your back covered? (Wim_rc51)

I have the dainese. It seems like it should offer good back protection, ive had a couple ofget offs with it but nothing were I took a hard hit to the back. It is comfy though, cant even tell its there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: I got your back! Who REALLY has your back covered? (seldom57)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by seldom57 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have the dainese. It seems like it should offer good back protection, ive had a couple ofget offs with it but nothing were I took a hard hit to the back. It is comfy though, cant even tell its there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Which Dainese one do you have? And thnks for the feedback

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Look into the Spidi BACK WARRIOR , this will be my next BP. It was one of the few if not the only BP on the market with a CE2 certification.

Here is some of the specs.
After a 5kg impact from 1m:

Knox KC2000 X1 has a residual energy of 35kN
Spidi BACK WARRIOR has a residual energy of 18kN due to the pressurized air cushion.

http://www.planet-knox.com
http://www.spidi.it

Modified by eppy01f4i at 1:59 AM 8/15/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: I got your back! Who REALLY has your back covered? (eppy01f4i)

Thanks for the information eppy. It looks pretty impressive. Just got to find out where I can get one.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

See below post.

Modified by eppy01f4i at 2:42 AM 8/15/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's the BACK WARRIOR that I was talking about NOT the airback. I have the air-back and will be replacing it with the warrior. I think they have there prices mixed up in that site, I know for a fact I didn't spend 269.00 on my airback. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Eppy - Why are you trading the Airback? It seems to give better protection than the Warrior. The warrior is shorter. Will you be selling the Airback?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Damn I screwed this whole post up

OK let me see if I can fix my screw-up, The BP I have now is the airback, it is nice and I don't have a problem with it BUT.... Spidi brought out the Back Warrior, that is a step above the airback, it also carries the CE 2 rating the airback DOES NOT.
You can see and buy both here.....
http://www.kc-international.com/safety2.html

Here is all the info on the Warrior....
http://www.spidisport.com/spid...r.jsp

Here is info on the Airback
http://www.spidisport.com/spidi-jsp/safety.jsp
If you want the best Spidi has to offer get the Warrior.

As for that site I am almost sure they have there prices mixed up. The warrior should be the more expensive one.

OK did I help any??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thanks for the information Eppy. However, it is weird that the Warrior is better than the Airback isn't it? It makes it a much better value than the Airback... WOW! I mean, we are talking almost $100 in differenc here. It would be interesting to compare the two side by side. The Airback still seems the one that has a more extensive exo-skeleton though - or is it just me?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I think they have the prices mixxed up, the air-back should be 174.00
the warrior should be 269.00. Maybe I'll give them a call tomorrow.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

before my accident I road with the joe rocket pheonix jacket, it has a foam spine protector pad in it, I believe that spine protector kept me out of a wheelchair.

I will be investing in something a bit nicer though once I get my leg back over again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: I got your back! Who REALLY has your back covered? (Walking home)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Walking home »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">before my accident I road with the joe rocket pheonix jacket, it has a foam spine protector pad in it, I believe that spine protector kept me out of a wheelchair.

I will be investing in something a bit nicer though once I get my leg back over again.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry to her about the accident, but I am happy to hear that you got out of it. I do wonder what kind of accident it was though. I am just concerned that if I did crash on a track at high speed, any impact to my back will be hi-speed as well, and I don't know if a foam based or composite material based protector will be up to the tastk?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts