Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Purveyor of immaturity
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i went today to a local dyno day to get my rc dynoed, yeh um they did three base runs and the top hp number i got was :banghead wait for it, wait for it, .........118 with 82 lbft of torque.

The specs of my bike, and mods that matter:

2002 rc51
flapped
paired
soft rev mod
ceramic coated headers
sato low mounts
pc3usb with kyle sato low map

now dont get me wrong i love my bike but it should definitely be putting out way more hp than that. im thinkin it should be around the 130 mark, not 12 hp under that.

i live in alexandria virginia and obviously the map is for california but should it have this much of an effect on the bike, it was only 75 degrees here today and no humidity. i dont get it

ill post the dyno sheet on monday when im at work, as i dont have a scanner at home.

phill

·
Registered
122 Posts
You should have had the bike dyno'd on that dyno before the mods so you could have seen the difference. Different manufacturer's dynos calculate the numbers different ways so the results may be different than what you expect.

When we first got our dyno many years ago, we found our readings were 12% lower than another shop in the next town, and they had the same dyno we did. We had "know-it-alls" telling us we didn't know how to dyno a bike since the readings were so low. We complained to DynoJet about it for a year and a half before someone there was smart enough to start looking into our setup and realized that our unit had been modified with a brake, but the drum mass had never been changed to compensate for the additional rotating mass of the brake assy. They gave us a new configuration file and there was our 12%. Now our reading are pretty much the same (within 1 hp) of the other system on the same bikes on similar days.

Something similar may be happening with the dyno you had your bike run on, if it is a DynoJet.

Several years ago, Sport Rider magazine switched to a differnt dyno and found about a 10% dfference between them, so they marked all the charts to let folks know which dyno each bike was tested on.

However, the mods you listed are not going to yield 12 hp at the top end. The Sato cans with that map will give you a lot better driveability and 10-12 extra hp in the midrange, but it won't affect the top end that much. The soft rev mod will give you a couple of more hp at the top end, but the power curve has already started to flatten out a bit when you hit the 9200 rpm limit prior to the mod. The flapper mod gets rid of a flat spot around 7000 rpm, and the pair mod or the ceramic coated headers won't do anything noticeable.

If you want some extra hp for bragging rights, fill the tank up with some oxygenated race fuel before you take it in for its next dyno run. However, it might take another $250 mapping to see the improvements it'll make.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
given that you have next to no hp mods (pipes and pc3 don't count for too much), and that dynos read all over the place, i don't see why you'd be pissed..

dynos just spit out an inconsequential number, what's the big deal? do you want to brag to people that a dyno said your bike makes 130hp when you're still getting smoked by modern 600s? if it FEELS slow then you may have an issue, but i highly doubt it is. you're getting your panties in a knot over a stupid formality...

·
Registered
947 Posts
i'm with dumby^^

the hp seems round about normal, all you have really is a set of pipes and a canned tune.

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
If/when I get mine actually tuned, I am going to bring it in with the stock pipes on for a baseline. It's pointless unless you want to see how much better they can make a map off the web for your particular bike.

I've seen stupid little things like a few psi of tire pressure, or even new/old tires, a few degrees of temp here or there (on the bike or ambient) make small differences that can all add up.

If you really want hp bragging rights against your fellow RC riders, it will only happen if the bikes are there on the same day. Like the others have said, it doesn't really look like you have that much into getting hp.

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
I have a 00 RC51 with stock headers/Moriwaki High (rainbow) pipes, Durbahn Airbox, PC3 USB, PAIR, 600 Coils, Flapper, no internal engine work, stock sprockets and Stock sized Pilot Powers 2CT. I had mine Dynoed in SLC on 17 APR 2010. If I remember correct temp was mid to high 60s. These are the results mine made.

Why do they not show the curve based on RPM? That way I could show at what RPM I need to make changes.

·
Registered
947 Posts
not sure if it's a graph setting or the dyno itself that allows to see rpm instead of speed.

·
Registered
122 Posts
It's just a graph setting on the DynoJet. The system defaults to the setting shown on that graph and the operator has to chose a different option and set it as their default. The run file contains all the information. If you can talk your dyno man out of a copy of the run file, you can download the viewer program from the dynoJet website and play with all the different options

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
It's just a graph setting on the DynoJet. The system defaults to the setting shown on that graph and the operator has to chose a different option and set it as their default. The run file contains all the information. If you can talk your dyno man out of a copy of the run file, you can download the viewer program from the dynoJet website and play with all the different options
Is that something he would keep or it would be stored on the dyno? The reason I ask is because the guy who dynoed my bike borrowed the dyno.

·
Registered
122 Posts
It's definitely going to be stored on the PC that runs the dyno, whether he kept a coy of it or not will be something you'll have to ask him. Also, do you know if the A/F probe was attached at the time of the run, or was he just running up the bike. The graph looks pretty good, with a nice flat torque curve and no real holes in the hp curve. What map did you use with the Durbahn airbox? The bikes I have run up with the map that came with that airbox were not as clean as this one.

·
Craft Int Instructor
700 Posts
Bottom Line PHILL, you're in the same neighborhood as the rest of us! I have customed tuned/airbox/snorkel and lightened up cams, and only went up to 127hp. Don't sweat the numbers to the point of hating the bike, if you want more HP numbers you'll need to do some HP mods. PAGING JD HORD!!! Let Hord massage your heads for better flow, drop some pistons in it..and then you'll see those 130's+ until then just ride..

:clapper

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I agree with others here who've stated that a peak # from a dyno isn't very meaningful unless runs are conducted before and after mods , on the same dyno at around the same time b/c so many factors can affect results significantly ; hell , SportRider got 124HP from a bone-stock SP2 back in 05 ! Yeah that torque figure is off , should probably be 72 . The graph above is nice , flat torque , progressive HP , with no dips for either:rockon .

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
that torque "curve" (line would be a better word to be honest) is very impressive....

I have a 00 RC51 with stock headers/Moriwaki High (rainbow) pipes, Durbahn Airbox, PC3 USB, PAIR, 600 Coils, Flapper, no internal engine work, stock sprockets and Stock sized Pilot Powers 2CT. I had mine Dynoed in SLC on 17 APR 2010. If I remember correct temp was mid to high 60s. These are the results mine made.

Why do they not show the curve based on RPM? That way I could show at what RPM I need to make changes.

·
I speed up for corners
1,165 Posts
hp number sounds spot on if you ask me. pc/pipe/map really just improved the feel for me. the hp gain off those mods alone is novelty. others with similar setups with larger numbers just have different dynos. So dont worry your bikes' just as fast as theirs. you didnt get cheated ;)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Like everyone said, hp number is probably right. Torque number is way too high though. That's like what a 1098 puts down. It might have been a spike on a shift if he was running it through the gears (which the operator shouldn't do). I had the same mods when I dynoed my bike last and I put down 125 and 72 I believe. I will have to see if I can find my sheet. Dynos have tons of variance and I have heard bad calibration can really throw them off. My ZX-10 put down 161 on one dyno and then put down 149 on another Dynojet two weeks later. :wtf

·
Purveyor of immaturity
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hahaha . i honestly could care less about the numbers , i love my rc and she definitely runs great and i will never be selling her. btw its goin to the shop in a week or two to get a full custom map. the shop that did the dyno is kind of a sketchy place and that was the first time id ever been there. there is a shop here that has amazing mechanics and the owner is one of the most straight up guys i know "fairfax Cycles" they have done work on my rc and im good friends with the guys over there. they will be tuning the bike. they just tuned a stock rc with cans and pc and the normal mods and got somewhere in the 125-133 range. cant remember exactly but who cares haha

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
It's definitely going to be stored on the PC that runs the dyno, whether he kept a coy of it or not will be something you'll have to ask him. Also, do you know if the A/F probe was attached at the time of the run, or was he just running up the bike. The graph looks pretty good, with a nice flat torque curve and no real holes in the hp curve. What map did you use with the Durbahn airbox? The bikes I have run up with the map that came with that airbox were not as clean as this one.
He would not let me in the truck when he made the runs so I do not know about the probe. I'm not sure what the name of the map but this is what I found in the notes.

2000-2001 Honda VTR1000 SP1 (RC51) German model
Akrapovic Evolution full exhaust with open silencers
Airbox derestricted with No Toil foam filter
Air intake flapper valve removed

I can send you a copy of mine if you want.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks for the offer, but no thanks. I have a dyno and have learned not to trust most maps made by other folks, with the exception of those at the shop that I trained, Dan, Mike and Bill (the last 3 will know who they are). JD probably falls in that catagory also, but I am going by the quality of his other work since I haven't run across one of his maps yet.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts