Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally converted my KX 250 MX bike to a Supermoto!

First track day this Friday at Summit Point! I am pumped!

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
I still have the stock caliper/rotor on my KDX-220 that is a supermoto, never had any problems.

Granted, I'm not a racer, just a trackday addict, so it's not as critical for me.

·
-_-
2,284 Posts
Give it a go, but usually it will not be able to last under the more severe conditions of a race track.

Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup you were right! It is ok, but nowhere enough to haul ass and only front brake.... gonna have to upgrade.

Was my first track day on a Supermoto and was a blast, but there is a BIG noticable difference in the front braking compared to my R1. Love how light it is in the corners though... I think, I am gonna get addicted to this stuff! ;)

·
-_-
2,284 Posts
I found there are two main things to sort out when converting a dirt bike to a motard.

1) is a proper front brake setup. I would not fool around and get something that actually works and is made for motard racing. Many of the street bike calipers will not clear the wheel spokes, so you will need a narrow caliper. Look at the Husqvarna SMR brakes if you want an axial mount caliper. Those are CNC Brembo P30/34, which work well with aggressive pads.

2) suspension. After a few rides you will get sick of the soft suspension. Nowadays a Supermoto really is a road race bike in my opinion. The tuners here shorten the shock and fork stroke and stiffen both up (maybe by rubbing them really hard? Hrhrhrhr....).

But then, if I were you I´d try and check out if the fever keeps catching you and decide what to do then :)

Cool thing about motard trackdays is they cost a fraction of a street bike track day! Did you bring any pictures from your defloration?

·
-_-
2,284 Posts
Nice video quality and I´m stunned by the sound quality as well. What setup do you use? Doesn´t sound like any Contour or GoPro if you ask me.

Nice hooligan neighborhood terrorizer shots you got there, haha!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is the GoPro auto racing package, and I am using the non- waterproof door, which I think makes the sound much clearer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts