Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it finally happened. After 20+ years of riding I finally crashed my 2004. I was riding with a buddy who after long thought should really not be riding a bike (3 crashes in the past year and a half).

We were riding on Hwy 128 headed to the AMA races at Infineon raceway on May 15th. We came through some turns and a pickup truck decided to make a U turn across the road. My friend who never rides in front of me was this time in front. The truck made the turn across the road and according to him it "freaked" him out. Since I was behind him and the truck was now on the other side of the highway coming through the dirt and into the lane I had my eyes focused on the truck thinking that he could enter my lane since he spun more than 180 degrees. ASAP as I cleared the danger and the truck was on it's way I looked in front of me and my friend had stopped in the middle of lane in front of me. I had to panic stop or plow into him since I probably had no more than a second or two to react. I slowed from 35mph and came to a stop after brushing up against his rear tire the bike then stuck and I tried to put my left foot down when the left peg rammed into my calf making a 5-6 inch hole in my leg. I then fell over to the right breaking 5 ribs and royally screwing up my back. My bike did not look to bad but I just found out a week ago that the damage was almost $5500.00. The bike is going to be fixed but I have had all kinds of medical problems from the leg trauma including a vein clot in my leg behind the knee resulting in me having to take injections in the stomach and taking coumadin to help the clots.

My friend claims no fault in the accident at all. He even told me that after 20 years of riding that I should have had the dexterity to control the bike and should not have crashed.

I went back to the accident site and confirmed my beliefs that neither him or I were in any danger of hitting the truck at all. The plain truth is that he was spooked thus slowed to a virtual stop in the middle of the lane which by the way due to road erosion was less than 7 feet wide.

My insurance company of course finds me at fault saying that I was traveling at an unsafe speed based on the police report. I don't remember giving a statement to the officer because of the shock I was in from the hole in my leg. Needless to say I trashed my bike and my body due to the actions of someone who I feel frankly should not be riding.

Peace to all and ride safe.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: I crashed my bike (drain69)

Sounds like a tough break and a need for better riding buddies. Get well soon.
Ken

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

dammm..You stop then to have a puncture on the left leg then thrown down on your right to break 5 ribs???

Sad to say that you should have been aware of your immediate front since you are behind him and that is the law ways of dealing with that but YOUR buddy there had NO reason to basically stop for no reason either. I would feel bad if I was him so now you are one less friend.

Get well soon also

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (Hams51)

Man that suck's I had a friend do a stoppie in front of me along time ago and went down fortunatly I managed to scrub down to about 2mph before I went over.
Hope you heal up quickly and get back in the saddle.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (twotone)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by twotone »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Man that suck's I had a friend do a stoppie in front of me along time ago and went down fortunatly I managed to scrub down to about 2mph before I went over.
Hope you heal up quickly and get back in the saddle.</TD></TR></TABLE>

FOOKER!?!??!?!? Can we freaking stop telling the world about this
I should have know this will be in here

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (twotone)

I feel your pain man. It's really fun when they stop in the middle of a corner too! Sorry to hear about the bike and injuries, just goes to show you that you don't have to be going fast to get seriously messed up. Those stomach injections suck too. When I was laying in the hospital bed last fall after a bike accident, I had to get those damn injections in my stomach every day for at least a month. It really sucked too, I was in so much pain from my back that I couldn't get more than 2-3hrs of sleep a night usually, right when I got sleepy they would wake me up for my meds, breakfast, and a sponge bath. Even worse, is that my weight was 172 before the accident, and in the hospital I got down to less than 140. A 6'0" 140lb guy obviously doesn't have much fat, which made that needle even worse!

Take er' easy for a while buddy. Wear a soft back brace, it helps me quite a bit. Also, I'd try ebay for fixing the bike if possible. Life sucks sometimes, but it could have been a lot worse. Good luck man!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: I crashed my bike (Robust)

sorry to hear about the mishap bro..get well soon n dont ride with him anymore!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats one of the worst stories i ever herd.... how can you say that you should have the experiance not to paninc.... it happens to every body. I would beat the shit out of him with my helmet

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (superbird)

Geesh I woul say the leathers you where wearing are total shit( YOu where wearing proper riding gear right?)

I would also say the rear sets you have are too sharp

I would also say that if 20 years of riding have not taught you how to remember to put a foot down before you stop.....

Sorry for your damage. Your pain is temporary, you can get another bike, you can even make up with your buddie.

You will still need to own this one. You phucked up, But you are still alive.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (SpeedKills)

Although I do enjoy riding with a buddy, this is why I ride alone for the most part.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (Red Thunder)

Dude, I phucked up my back while in the Marine Corps and I have to take pain meds on a daily basis...it sucks, but on the up side I am alive and have a wonderful life. Take care of your body....you only have one!! I also hope that you and your "friend" can make peace.

Get well and don't over due it with your body!!!! Heal..Heal..Heal!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Amigo-the bike can get fixed. But unfortunately, I do believe in the saying that everyone who rides have or will spill some time. But some of us are luckier than some. You'll walk and live to ride again. Thank the Big Guy for that as well as your experience. And keep an eye on your Deep Vein Thrombosis. If left untreated, that can migrate to your lung and kill ya. The crash is the past. Keep up on that DVT. Take care.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drain69 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I was riding with a buddy who after long thought should really not be riding a bike (3 crashes in the past year and a half). </TD></TR></TABLE>

I got one of those friends and when I hear he's going to come out and ride, I put the leathers back on the hanger and backout. It's just really hard to tell him he just doesn't belong on a bike.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: I crashed my bike (RC5150)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RC5150 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I got one of those friends and when I hear he's going to come out and ride, I put the leathers back on the hanger and backout. It's just really hard to tell him he just doesn't belong on a bike.

</TD></TR></TABLE> Dammm, I had the same friend. I told his auss that he was going to get kill if he road like that and told him to get his head out of his auss also...Rather he was mad at me then if I had to send his family some flowers. Share gears and asked him to get more formal training at a track school but luckily $$$ problem forced him to sell his F4i which of course to him was WAYYYY under power and the R1 was what he wanted

Had two other buddies that wanted to ride. Talked them into taking the MSF but before going they wanted 600cc bikes and I told them they were crazy AND THEY should get 250cc. After the class??? 250 baby
was the asking choice

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: (Red Thunder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Red Thunder »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Although I do enjoy riding with a buddy, this is why I ride alone for the most part.</TD></TR></TABLE>

+1

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

OUCH! sorry about your fall. that sucks.. it was stuff like this that sent me to the track. too many people I rode with were doing "weird" stuff like that. sorry again man

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: I crashed my bike (3stripes)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 3stripes »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Dammm, I had the same friend. I told his auss that he was going to get kill if he road like that and told him to get his head out of his auss also...Rather he was mad at me then if I had to send his family some flowers. Share gears and asked him to get more formal training at a track school but luckily $$$ problem forced him to sell his F4i which of course to him was WAYYYY under power and the R1 was what he wanted

</TD></TR></TABLE>

What a coincedence, my friend too had an F4i, crashed that thing twice in a month, then wrecked it on his first trackday. Then, like your friend, was saying the 600 was not enough power, so he borrows my other friends R1 and rides that shit like freaking stunter squid with a couple of close calls. I tell my friend, who owns the R1, what he is doing, and he takes his bike back.

2 months later he buys an R6 and crashes the thing on 9 , fixes it a month later, goes to a trackday with me and does just fine, then rides to work the next day and then wrecks again on the street! An acquaintance who was in a car following him said he was in a turn just fine and all of a sudden the rear cameout. But what I think happened was he had post-trackday adrenaline and got a little throttle happy. Whatever the case, I still tell him that he doesn't belong on a bike, but he still wants to get another one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.