Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am becoming a V-Twin convert

Just like when I bought my diesel truck, I didn’t think that I would really like it all that much. But I was wrong.

I picked up a 2004 Aprilia Mille Factory last Friday. I rode it about 35 miles on Saturday and then loaded it up and took it to Putnam Park race track for a Sunday track day. I did a 100 mile ride Tuesday and then put about another 125 miles commuting on it yesterday.

I was an instructor, so I road every novice and intermediate session switching between the Aprilia and my 2003 R6 track bike.

The Aprilia is used with 3600 miles, came with a full Akrapovic system and an Evo air filter, the computer had the map switched to match these mods. The seller had just put a new Pirelli race front tire to match the rear before I picked it up. It already has Ohlins forks, shock and steering dampner, OZ wheels and a slipper clutch standard.

The thing was a blast on the track. I had a supersport SV650 that I hated, but this thing revs so quickly that it doesn’t feel like riding a moped like the Suzuki did. It pulled so hard coming out of turns, but I was a little slower mid corner, probably due to the fact that it is so tall that I almost never got my knee down on it even though I was dragging the kickstand in one turn. I wound up 2.5 seconds faster on my R6 then the Mille.

On the street the bike is a blast. The sound of a big twin is so much better from the saddle then off the bike. The pipes aren’t obnoxiously loud. The bike has a few niggling problems, the fuel injection sucks at under 3500 rpm and the clutch need to be bled every few hundred miles.

I am taking it to North Carolina over the July 4th weekend to ride the mountains with some friends, then the Mid Ohio AMA race is coming up and I have a 2 day trackday planned with Sportbike Tracktime at Putnam at the end of July. I am planning on painting the bike sometime after that. The gray/silver looks nice, but it doesn’t really do it for me. Plus I hate the orange stickers so I am going to paint it a deep red.

Here is a picture taken yesterday at work –

eddie

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Best of luck with your Aprilia, my buddy has the same bike and it's a terrific machine. I believe them to be more reliable and better equipped for the money than a Ducati.
We rode the Pocono FUSA course yesterday, great weather and terrific conditions.
Ken

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: I am becoming a V-Twin convert (Eddie)

V-twin engines are sweet. I have never rode a racebike with one but I do like the V in my V-Strom

Nice looking Prilla

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: I am becoming a V-Twin convert (Eddie)

That's a fine looking bike.

A dude had one at the last track day I was at, and I admit I was drooling a little.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: I am becoming a V-Twin convert (JamesP)

Sweet
Aprilia Rules, alright, I am biased, I have the red one. I had a problem with the rear brake and couldn't get the service light to reset, but the dealer replaced both under warranty and have had no problems since. I got the Tigcraft Race cans, sound awsome, headers soon to follow. Can't wait to see what is new for 06, hopefully they ditch the Lions Head
and mix the colours up a bit

1 - 5 of 5 Posts