Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I can barely contain myself... I had so much fun on Sunday at the I-70 Speedway that I have to let other racers know about it.

The race promoters for the July 24 round of the US Central Supermoto Championship at I-70 Raceway in Odessa MO asked chriscap to help them plan a race course at their facility this weekend. Chriscap invited Nick Novice and I to go along... with our bikes. So we loaded up early in the morning on Sunday, and drove out to the raceway.

Before getting there, our biggest concern was dirt: Usually at any course we go to, they have an asphalt racing surface, and the "dirt section" is a blank canvas. Not so at I-70! They have two (!) dirt sections that are both wicked, hilarious fun. The first one is a purpose-built mini motocross track. Whe we laid it out for supermoto, it had three easy doubles (I could clear them, and I'm a total dirt novice), a step-up/step-down table top with kicker jump, and a long whoop section of at least ten bumps. Somewhere in there is one fast flat turn, and three good sharp bermed turns. All three of us ran over the motocross track over and over with our slicks on, having a great time, even on an ungroomed track. It will be awesome on race day.

The second dirt section is actually a big, banked oval for racing go karts. The banking is a giant, six foot berm all the way around the oval. Chriscap laid out the track so we were running up the berm at 40 mph, jumping into the oval, running around about 240 degrees of it to the left, and then jumping back out of it. The dirt track within the oval is very wide, and it should be a great place for dirt trackers to pass. This too was laugh-out-loud fun.

The rest of the course is a mix of tight, technical 1st and 2nd gear corners on the paved infield, and then two fast blasts up on the banked asphalt with a nice chicane to slide into from the main straight. I was near the rev limiter in top gear on the straight with my Road America gearing... probably touching 90 mph.

This race course has it all. It's like the kind of racing you used to do with your friends on bicycles when you were a kid... (go left around that tree, over Mr. Smith's driveway, down the alley, jump off the old porch...) This place has the potential to be the most fun amateur supermoto event of the year. Chriscap pointed out on the way home that this venue is much more like the old Superbikers than any of the go-kart stuff we've done in the last few years. I agree.

I-70 Speedway is set to do a mailing and provide some more promotional materials in the next week. Classes and rules are going to be basically identical to Gateway Supermoto.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: I-70 Raceway scouting report (banda)

Sounds like loads of fun! Too bad it's about 8 hours from the Twin Cities.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: I-70 Raceway scouting report (Gerg)

It will be well worth the drive. There will be open practice on Saturday until about 2 or 3pm. If you show up for practice on Saturday you'll pay $25, which will deducted from your entry if you race on Sunday. In addition you'll get free tickets to the car races on Sat. night.

So you figure Saturday practice, stock car races on a paved 1/2 mile oval, racing on Sunday, and it's the best weekend package a Supermoto rider has probably ever seen.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: I-70 Raceway scouting report (chriscap)

I guess I'm gonna have to find a way to make practice on Saturday....

Sounds like a gas out in Odessa....I-70 Speedway....BEEEEEEE THHHEEEERRREEEEE

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: I-70 Raceway scouting report (stlwalnut)

Does anyone know yet how the racing will be scored?? Transponders maybe. It sounds like it will be too much fun to not go. I'm trying to make it happen.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: I-70 Raceway scouting report (cartech)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cartech »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Does anyone know yet how the racing will be scored??</TD></TR></TABLE>

By hand. Transponders are very expensive and would approximately double the cost of entry fees.

The only way around this would be if all riders agreed to buy transponders... like karting does. I think this would chase off a lot newbies though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts