Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondering how many of you (if any) are running Hyperplates and have run your bike on the dyno? I ask as I wonder about their durability, given the infamous Thorsten problem (I uncovered while searching on this site). I have done a fait bit of research on Google on the matter but very little turns up.

I am having my VTR engine rebuilt (with JE hi-comp pistons, Carrillo rods, select ceramic bearings, DLC-coated valves, tappets and piston pins,...) and am quite confident of squeezing mid-130s bhp and mid-80s rwtq from the exercise. I am looking at having it run-in on the dyno (due to in part to a Canadian phenomenon known as winter) but am concerned about the Hypers potentially grenading and ruining a sizeable investment in new engine bits.

Looking forward to comments from those with experience in this area....

thanks in advance

P.S. FWIW, I am running stock Honda fibres and Barnett springs

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
I know guys have been running these for quite sometime BUT don't leave them in as long as steels of any brand.;)

I had them installed in my RC51 for approx. 6 months (street) and while I changed my engine oil acouple times while those were installed.... seeing all the EXTRA metalic material floating through My engine oil was enough for Me to say... I'll PASS on this mod. and took them OUT! :wacky

Now, IF money is no object and or one can rebuild engines like how I change my own tires well then... enjoy!;) NOT Me!

FWIW., Last I talked to him (Thorsten) 1to2 years ago, STILL runs them in his engines, but I'm pretty sure he swapes them out after acouple trackdays or season...?

I Hope this helps,

Peace Jeff

·
V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts
I have a set for Mr.RC45 but knowing aluminum they way I do I just can not talk
myself into running them... I have plans on machining my own billet basket to
save the same amount of weight without penalty of metalic oil particles...

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Jeff :)

As for Larry, well, if past behaviour is indeed the best predictor, there is nothing constructive to be had from your reply, so you stay on the Ignore list..... BTW, it will now be a true high comp Motor of Death with a prodigiously meaty and flat torque curve.....

·
V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts
Thanks Jeff :)

As for Larry, well, if past behaviour is indeed the best predictor, there is nothing constructive to be had from your reply, so you stay on the Ignore list..
Whew!!! for a minute I thought the jokestr from the frozen North was going to take me off his Ignore list...

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Must be a slow day at the Batty Little Shop (second reply to a thread that has absolutely nothing even remotely related to his unending V4 drivel)..... :wacky

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
Must be a slow day at the Batty Little Shop (second reply to a thread that has absolutely nothing even remotely related to his unending V4 drivel)..... :wacky
Yeah HUMMM, I don't understand though mikstr, as both his replies had NO>>>----> V-FOUR drivel anyhow or am I missing something?:confused:

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have him on Ignore so I can't read what he posts. What got me to that point, however, was his unending V4 drivel in virtually every post, V4-related or not.... Could it be that BLS is turning over a new leaf?....

·
V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts
Could it be that BLS is turning over a new leaf?....
No no no... for the love of peace... tell him I'll still posting V4 drivel... Mikstr can go
mad dog crazy over the pages in Speedzilla...

·
2,737 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. Gee, that's a nice way to create beautiful metalflake oil. I'd pass on that 'mod'.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I decided to play it safe and will be pulling the Hypers out and replacing them with new OEM steels.

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
I decided to play it safe and will be pulling the Hypers out and replacing them with new OEM steels.

IMHO & :twocents... You have made a Smart choice brother!:clapper FYI and or FWIW... when it comes to "My engines" after seeing first hand what My engine Oil looked like, I'll decide to play it safe with a mod. like this every time!

I have to say though...
I'm very surprised Wilbby hasn't replied here because I know he's (was anyhow) running Hyper plates AND running them with a "Slipper Clutch" :eek: too! However, maybe he has seen the light or in this case... The Metal Flakes!..? :woot:
I mean really, in My RC51 engine Oil it was a very noticeble differance!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts