Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for input from people who arent trying to sell me something....
For a "pure" track bike 'Berg FS650C or KTM560SMR (I realize no-one here has ridden the KTM yet (I guess, none arrived yet...) I'm just a little hesatant about the 'Berg, I've heard they've solved engine problems in the last couple of years, (cam chains, balance shaft bearings etc.) I'm an older "B" rider who will do a race/trackday about once a month. Willing to do increased maint. on a more "focused" bike, but looking for opinions.
Thanks,
-Rocky-

P.S. The price for either will be about the same (new '05 'Berg vs new '06 KTM)

·
Registered
22 Posts
The 'berg is a good machine and getting better every year. Great warranty from what I understand. KTM is a proven machine and my dealer/friend rode the 560 at a dealer meeting. He currently rides a 525smr and said it is much the same with more power.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Which one?

Kinda what I'm hearing everywhere. I rode the 525MR also, cool bike, but Im 6'2 & 230 Lbs. and some of my track days will be on longer tracks. I keep thinking of the old cliche "there's no replacement for displacement...." I just cant seem to get much feedback on the 'Berg (not many out there) as far as the "newer" motors '04 and on as far as reliability. I have no problem with an intensive maint. regimen, I just dont want a hand grenade.....(plus look at parts prices, $500 for a piston?, ya gotta split the cases to replace piston/rings....HMMMMM.) input guys, I need help here.:confused:
-Rocky-

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gulp!

Well boys 'n girls, I pulled the trigger on the deal this morning, should have a 'Berg in the old garage by this weekend.....:)
-Rocky-

·
Registered
187 Posts
I had a 04' 550 Supermoto and yes it was very strong and had plenty of power but it did blow up twice with major engine failure, within 600mls on the motor.

Sorry to say, the biggest junk I ever had. The engine has some nice designs but won't help if it does not last.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry to hear of your bad luck with the 'Berg. Took delivery of a new FS650C Motard a couple of weeks ago, and have also hooked up with one of the premier Husaberg tuners in the country (Dale Lineaweaver of Lineaweaver Racing) He won the AMA 600 Short track title with a Husaberg (when MANY said it couldnt be done....) He's got lots of info on them and it seems Husaberg have corrected some of the design flaws of old (enough that the US distributor extended a 1 year warranty on a RACE bike, unheard of! They must feel the bearing problems are behind them...) I hope if we really stay on top of it we'll be fine, input from other owners seems to bear this out. Will keep everyone posted, it goes on the dyno tomorrow for a baseline run as it now has a couple of hours on the motor.
Then an open track day at Infineon Monday the 28th.
Later,
-Rocky-

·
Registered
757 Posts
Does anyone else find some irony that KTM owns Husaberg? And that the KTM RFS is based quite strongly on the Husaberg motor design of about 1999?

Sorry, useless post #367 for the day, carry on:D

·
Registered
757 Posts
Eric Landstrom said:
I find irony in that Husabergs themselves where based off of Husqvarna since Husaberg was founded by former Husky engineers.
See, it just continues to get wierder, and wierder.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
KTM now uses Husaberg as a test monkey, if it works, it'll be on a KTM in 2 or 3 years, if not, it's Husabergs problem.....:confused:

-Rocky-

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update

Just got the 'Berg off the dyno, still pretty tight (2 hours on motor) with jetting changes but all else stock it's 61 hp. (now the fun begins!);)
-Rocky-

·
Registered
70 Posts
61 stock is great!! maybe you'll be ay 64-65 with a pipe!

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My thoughts exactly, whats most inportant to me though is the nice flat curve, plus now that it's correctly jetted the bike actually idles!:woot:
-Rocky-

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The fun is just beginning, had it out to a track day at Infineon on Monday to continue to get it dialed in (and get used to dragging knees on a "dirt bike"!) I just picked up an Akrapovic pipe, the saga continues......;)
-Rocky-

1 - 17 of 17 Posts