Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Bemused
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Everything was coming together. A week ago the forecast was loads of rain, but low and behold!! Sunny and warm all day yesterday!! I think being pumped about the weather and knowing it was my last track day of the season was a recipe for disaster. During the 1st session there were a couple crashes, and I couldn't really get feeling good. Felt stiff, not smooth on transitions, just not in the groove... Note to self, when feeling that way, ease back till I get in the zone.

YouTube - September crash final edit

Not hurt at all, just minor soreness. The most humbling part was I crashed in that same spot just the following session.:banghead Piggy was fine too, finished the day! Although we were cut 1 session short, they ran out of ambulances to cover the track. Something was in the air, it was carnage...

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
You were moving pretty good until the incident. What track is that? Some of those concrete walls were close to the track. Glad you're ok.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Those are some pretty impressive lean angles you had going on there. It looks like where you went down wasn't all that technical and you got distracted, funny how that happens. Glad you are both OK. I know all about the groove, best thing in the world when you are in it but when it isn't there it's kinda scary...

·
Jenias Member
1,510 Posts
We all crash at some point. I actutally came over and talked to you for a little bit while you were working on the bike. I was the guy with the R6 taling about my old RC.

You were moving pretty good until the incident. What track is that? Some of those concrete walls were close to the track. Glad you're ok.
Its Loudon. The walls can seem a bit close at times but its a fun track. When youre out there at race pace its really not that bad.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Glad you're ok, that's the most important thing!

Is that a control rider coming to a stop next to you on a hot track at the end of the video??? ...fail

·
Registered
191 Posts
Jeez Matt, glad you're okay and the little piggy too...she's getting used to crashing, hopefully she has 9 lives! And to think you wanted me to go up with you, now it's going to be even harder to convince myself to take my piggy on the track, maybe I'll borrow yours :woot:

I'll call you soon!

·
Purveyor of immaturity
615 Posts
glad your ok man,

im not saying this to sound stupid or mean, but after watching the video, i dont understand what happened, looks like you came out of the turn to hot, so you stood it up and tried to go across the grass, but i dont get where you lost it? did you hit the front brake and thats what slid out?

thanks
phill

hope you get back out there soon

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
You should invest in a track school or two. The RC is a pig of a bike and needs all the help & encouragement it can get to steer properly which means proper body positioning from you which it is not getting at least not in that video...

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
It looks like you just panicked and stood the bike up. It didn't look like you were that far off the track, you missed that cone by all of what 10 feet?

Were you on the brakes when you went across the grass or did you actually hit something? Looks like you could have just ridden it out across the grass and gotten back on the track. Hard to tell from that angle.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
You should invest in a track school or two. The RC is a pig of a bike and needs all the help & encouragement it can get to steer properly which means proper body positioning from you which it is not getting at least not in that video...
Instruction is always a great idea, the help I got from AFM guys was very valuable, but body positioning is subjective, very fast guys have radically different positioning. :twocents

·
Bemused
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It looks like you just panicked and stood the bike up.
Bingo. I went to pass my buddy and was on the throttle a bit more than I normally am in that section. I got hard on the brakes, didn't get what I was hoping for, then fixated on the grass.:banghead

I may have been able to save it if I had been able to get my eyes out of the grass, but that's a slow section and my body was not positioned to throw it left. But, like I said, a good lesson, for a bunch of different reasons.

LDH, I hear you about the difficulty of throwing the piggy around. I am completely spent after a trackday, sore for days. As far as my body position, of course I could be better, but it's my first season on the track, check out my vids from earlier this season, its awful, looks like I'm scared to death.:D

·
Bemused
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Instruction is always a great idea, the help I got from AFM guys was very valuable, but body positioning is subjective, very fast guys have radically different positioning. :twocents
I haven't gotten any 1 on 1 instruction, Doug Polen was there on day, but the $ was out of my league... But proof that some ex-racer instruction would help is all the tips I get @ the track days. When I put the tips in to use I can see result instantly.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Is that gas pouring out the filler cap? By the looks of it, you are lucky it didn't burst into flames. Been there done that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts