Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to retire sometime in the next few years and move back to the states
so we have been looking to buy a house now and start paying on it before then, right now we are looking at houses in the San Antonio TX area, can anyone tell me how the riding is there, any tracks near by? etc...... Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Hows the riding in San Antonio TX? (bruntr)

Its a growing city but its flat as a pan cake, but you could always do track days a couple times a month. Real estate is really cheap there.
If I go back to Texas to make it home I'm leaning towards Austin, or where ever the money's at.

Just my two cents.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

How much are you looking to spend on the house?
I have a house close to Sea World, that, because I'm 1800 miles away from, has been a constant source of stress for me. 2100 sq ft. 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths. 2 car (or 10 bike) garage. 2 living areas downstairs, game room upstairs. 1/2 acre lot mostly the backyard, matured trees. Putting tile in downstairs along with a bar. Ummmm, can get pics. Good neighbors, .25 miles away from Elementary and Jr. High, and .5 miles away from high school. 4 miles away from Sea World and Rudy's Bar B Q.

Andy

The Hill country is an awesome place to ride. Just West of San Antonio, a few highways, or country roads that are really smooth and fun. Wednesday night at Specht's, is a cool place to go to hang out, usually hundreds of bikes, some stunters when the cops aren't out. I miss San Antonio, but will be getting stationed at Ft. Meade, Maryland when I graduate the Pashto course. Blegh.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I'm NorthEast of SA Up IH 35.
North and west of the outer loop (1604) is the begining of the "hill country" dont look for any So Cal type mountain roads but as said above most roads are good.
You need to pick up "Ride Texas" Magazine they have a book out (tank bag size) with maps, directions, and ratings.
The best and to me closest to SoCal roads are the 336/337/338 trio no chicken strips after those 3 for sure.

Unless you move to Kerrville, Bandera,and to a lesser extent New Braunsfells you will have at least a 50-75 mile ride to the good stuff.

My tastes in roads has always been the 40- 80mph range but I've found a lot of the rides most locals like run in the 80 to jail range so I've gotten out of riding myself.

One thing for sure if you do head out take a friend on a bike with you,if heaven forbid,you bin it you are a LOOOOONNNNNGGGGG Way out there and I've found no single cell phone covers the whole area.A lot of dead zone out there.

The last time I was at Spects was about a year and a half ago and the Hardly crowd started taking it away from the sport bikes.
The Stunters came close to shutting it all down,but don't worry by know the 3-5 new subdivisions have probley killed it all.

Feel free to email me if you like.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Hows the riding in San Antonio TX? (andito77)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by andito77 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Andy

I miss San Antonio, but will be getting stationed at Ft. Meade, Maryland when I graduate the Pashto course. Blegh.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you posted at the Presidio of Monterey? I thought that is where the language schools were? Kind of a haul from Seaside isn't it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Hows the riding in San Antonio TX? (944Monster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 944Monster »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Unless you move to Kerrville, Bandera,and to a lesser extent New Braunsfells you will have at least a 50-75 mile ride to the good stuff.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Aren' there some good roads around Alpine? Last time I was out there we stayed north of Kerrville at some place that had cabins on a river and some bar that was real famous where people danced on the tables and crawled out the door. We took a few day trips (in a rented cage) and saw some great roads to carve up...but no cellphone coverage if you had a problem....was fun in the cage squealling the tires on some decreasing radius sweepers.....would have been more fun without the wifey poundin' on my arm to slow down.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Hows the riding in San Antonio TX? (roadkill)

I grew up in Austin and have been all over Central Texas Hill country, I will eventually be settling down in Austin. Hill country riding is great with lots of twisy roads around Canyon lake and lake travis. I would go for North West San Antonio to buy a house.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Hows the riding in San Antonio TX? (roadkill)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roadkill »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Are you posted at the Presidio of Monterey? I thought that is where the language schools were? Kind of a haul from Seaside isn't it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I'm at the Presidio. DLI is at the Presidio, for now at least. I hear it's on the list for Base Realignment and Closures, along with the Naval Postgraduate School. Seaside, or Old Fort Ord, is only about 15 miles from the Presidio. I live in Military housing, and going from backroads, about 10 miles from Laguna Seca.

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some very nice riding in the Texas hill country. I rode 1,023 miles last weekend, FJR1300. Spent Sunday doing hill country backroads. Luckenbach, Willow Springs, Freidericksburg, Boerne. Nice roads.

Take a look at Kerrville. Up I10 from San Antonio.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (red2kcbr)

I live South of Kerrville and the twisties are right out my front door.
337 is less than 20 miles from where I am at and the road I take to get there, Hwy 16, is pretty awesome too.
Most of the construction between Vanderpool and Leakey is nearing completion and a lot of the dust and debris is washing/blowing away.
From Leakey to Camp Wood there is a rather large (several miles) section of road that is being re-constructed. The last time I went that far out, we stopped and turned around when we got there since my buddy would have been riding in a huge thick dust cloud the whole way. This is the most convenient way to get to 335. The other way is to take 41 from mountain home or take 41 from 336.
There are many many other roads all around this area but that will get you started.

The best way to get here from S.A. is to take Bandera Hwy but watch out for the local gestapo. With more and more squids getting helicopter rides to S.A., these roads are being patrolled more frequently.

Closest track would be Texas World Speedway in College Station (don't confuse with Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth/Denton).
Check out lonestartrackdays.com and get on their mailing list.
They're sponsors for this site so it's supposed to be OK to put in a plug for them.

Modified by RC BS at 11:47 AM 8/28/2005

1 - 11 of 11 Posts