Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to do the change on my ZX7r all the time and tonight and i going to try and tackle my first change on my rc51, any hints or tips? Both fairings off or just one? Any other tricks? how much oil does it take if I am changing the filter also? I bout 4 Liters of synthetic and i am not sure if i need anymore? Any help is appreciated!

Jesse

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: How tough is an oil change on a 2000 rc51 (jesse_k)

You can remove both fairings or just the left side. The only difference between the zx7 and rc51 is that the zx7 drain plug is at the bottom of the pan vs on the side for the rc51 (used to have one too). Changing oil on the rc is the same from here on. Oh the plastic fasteners on the bottom of the fairing are a pain to get out. Take your time because they break easily.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: How tough is an oil change on a 2000 rc51 (rced)

thank you very much, i am going to try it right after work so hopefully i will not break any of the clips on the fairings!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: How tough is an oil change on a 2000 rc51 (jesse_k)

You'll save a lot of time & frustration just by leaving the fairings together & removing them in one piece, sliding it out from underneath the bike. Put a towel on the ground if you are worried about scratching them up.

Also if you are using a relatively small oil catch pan make sure you place it about 6-7" from the drain spout on the oil pan cause the oil will shoot out that far when you remove the plug & then you will need to readjust the pan under the flow as the flow decreases.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: How tough is an oil change on a 2000 rc51 (LDH)

What a great idea. You just removed the biggest PITS (Pain In The A$$) I've got with this bike.

You are The Man, LDH.

·
Registered
90 Posts
do your bike a favor and fill the filter up with oil, it will soak into the filament and fill again. Then with a quick turn and twist put it on the bike. If your fast not much will drip out. After your finished and start her up, your engine won't run so long with low to no oil pressure. :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Damn, the thing runs so much better now. Took 3.5 quarts out and put 4 back in. Who know when it was changed last, ahhh the beauties of buying a used bike!

How long of an interval between changes do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
526 Posts
dont worry about the plastic snap thingys.... break those babies! ZIP TIES FOR LIFE!!!:rockon

unless shes *mint*, then maybe you should be careful

·
Registered
43 Posts
While mine was a street bike I changed the oil every 3K including filter. I also added a bottle of BG engine performance concentrate. :twocents

Mtrain

1 - 11 of 11 Posts