Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Juvenile Old Member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

I was lucky enough to drop my material neck protector over my front head pipe yesterday while warming the bike up, it brushed over the pipe and stuck, I pulled it off very quickly but it had enough time to burn my protector and stain the pipe with sythetic material/plastic.

Any good remedies to remove this?, it is on silver ceramicoated pipe to and don't want to damage that either.

Any ideas would be great.

·
Registered
869 Posts
i melted my boot heel on the high pipes of the M944 once and used steel wool to remove that. they were not however ceramic coated so i don't know what it will do to that.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Back in the day, I was putting my V65 Magna up onto the center stand and left skin on the exhaust. I could not get it off to save my life. Finally, someone told me to use a small torch on it and burn it off. It worked like a charm, I don't see why it wouldn't work for you...Just a thought.:confused:

·
Juvenile Old Member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that, I will give it a wee scrub first then torch off the rest (hopefully).

I think the pipe will stand the temp of gas no prob.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Meah ... Funny that ... I was going to suggest burning it off (as a smart ar$e remark) the someone beat me to it ... :rolleyes:

You can't win 'em all I guess ...

:D

·
Juvenile Old Member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gezz DaDuke, ya gettin soft mun, woulda thought ya mighta suggested a disc grinder or dynamite :D

I stick of jelly will remove it :woot:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'd be very careful with using a torch, depending on how hot it is. Not sure about which kind of ceramic coating you have, but a focused spot of intense heat might ruin or discolor the spot you use it on. I know the ceramic coated headers in my Impala turned hazy where they were the hottest, and that was just due to exhaust gasses, no blow torch required. I'd try 000 steel wool, it worked for me to get melted boot plastic off my pipes, and it shouldn't scratch the ceramic. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I have used polishing compound and a dremel with a buffing wheel on my pipes. It got everything off very nicely. It left it smooth and shiny. (I even tried steel wool first with unsuccessful results) I dont have the ceramic coating, but I wouldn't think polishing it could hurt though. :twocents

·
Juvenile Old Member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I got it all off, I wrapped a rag around the header and soaked it in turps and petrol to hopefully soften the stuff (I didn't need to light it ...no fires now ...bit gun shy :D ).

I got the kitchen 3M scratchy cleaner doofa and gave the burnt on stuff a light rub and away it came, only a few minutes work and it is back to what it was, I think the key was soaking it for a few hours to soften it up.

Thanks all for the tips and help :rockon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts