Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please post any links or tips on fender tail options for the RC. Let's take a final count on undertail options. Does anyone know the lucky number? How many are there? I have seen many. I would prefer abs plastic but am open if I love style etc. What's better abs plastic or fiberglass? Thanks fellas

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
There are quite a few. I started with a mototech (also seen it called a dussault) made of plastic, with tiny crappy leds for the turn signals and brake lights, like this:

Then I got tired of the guys I ride with commenting about how they couldn't see the brake or turn signals for shit. So I went with the hotbodies SS model that uses the stock brake lights:

It worked okay, but the sealing around the tail light sucked donkeyballs. Any time that I rode in the rain, the tail would fill with dirt and shit from the road, and of course water would get all over all of the electrics back there. It is fiberglass and weighs quite a bit. It was a pain to take the tail on and off because the under-tail would hang down on it's own. I had to drill some extra holes to get it to stay up on it's own. And the brackets that came with it only worked on an SP1, or at least they were worthless on my SP2. So now I am currently running a piece of plexiglass with the stock tail light behind it. Kinda ghetto, but it works for now, or at least it will work until I find a deal on a nice stock uncut SP2 rear fender, or just say f-it and buy one from an online dealer for $150 or whatever they are now.

I would say just stick with stock if you still have it. Cut the thing down a little and leave it be. Most under-tails that use led lights won't work for shit, and are 100% illegal in most states. Some people have replaced the lights with very nice (expensive) led light setups that work better. Most states don't give a hoot, but I am moving back to washington, and they have started going apeshit over pretty much any mods like flush-mounts, under-tails, exhaust, removing reflectors. They just use them as an excuse for checking you for an endorsement and/or warrants. They are starting to have big issues with guys running from cops and blocking off the freeways to stunt and just riding like dipshits in general and killing themselves in the process. So that has brought a lot of attention to sportbikers. I don't feel like getting pulled over every day, so I am slowly going back to looking 100% stock. Big f-ing turnsignals, square tail light, big shovel fender, reflectors, all that shit. Your state may not care, or you may not ride enough to care.

I am just of the opinion that most undertails are a waste of time/money and bring the RC's good looks down to the level of all the other sportbikes out there with ugly ass undertails. I would rather put the money towards going to the track, or on something I don't already have, like a brembo brake master, or a sargent seat, or fork cartridges, or adjustable rearsets, or a dyno tune, or many other things......

·
1,061 Posts
I made mine.

I just bought an sv650 tail light off ebay and then made my own template.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Doughnut

Great looking job.My ridding buddy has an SV and I have always liked the looks of his tail lights. What is that you used for signals? Thanks Hoovy

·
Registered
416 Posts
I kinda agree MAV.

Mine has the hotbodies that works with the stock tail lights. Then I bought the after market lights that are smoked and have the integrated lights. The SV lights need to be on more of an angle like they are on the SV. But they are good looking lights. My:twocents Hoovy

·
1,061 Posts
I had the same problem as b.miller123. No one could see the brake or turn signals.

That's when I was like f$ck it. Sv lights aré cheap and all over eBay.

Now you can actually see the brake lights and I didn't have to use the huge squre OEM lights.

The turn signals are LPusa.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
undertail

I saw pics of your bike posted somewhere and it made me jealous. I am a hands on kinda guy and have made fiberglass center consoles for cars and such so I think I could handle this and it looks great! I would be thankful for any help or tips etc. Please pm me with details. I have the hot bodies with round lights. I will take lights out and glass something different in place of the oh so common hotbody sytle light I hate. I like custom. Please advise. Where do you live? What state? Thanks

I made mine.

I just bought an sv650 tail light off ebay and then made my own template.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I've got the one the earlier posters were complaining about, but the small lights don't bother me enough to change it. I do like the look of it though, even if the functionality isn't the greatest.

·
Registered
163 Posts
How about this one???

My bud that's on here as well picked up one that I REALLY like (and want) but can't find one ANYWHERE nor can i even find the company that makes it? He said it's called a "joker" undertail???

·
Registered
155 Posts
A word to the wise regarding custom acrylic undertails: they crack when hit by rocks. Ask me how I know. I currently looking for a more durable solution if anyone has any ideas. Lightweight and black a must.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't know where this one came from, it was on the bike when I bought it. The positive attribute this one has is it has no visible profile from any direction, which is THE point.

It's one flat piece of aluminum with square punch-outs for the stock tail lights. I had to do lots of work to it. Everything behind the seat was left unmounted...... the computer, tool kit, and relays were loose in the "trunk". The aluminum plate was laying on the lip of the rear plastic. Any bump at all and it sounded like someone was shaking a bucket of bolts. But after making mounts for stuff under the seat and integrating the aluminum with the plastic and the frame, it now is right.

If it wasn't for the punch-outs for the stock tail light fitting perfectly I would have to say this was home made

·
Registered
226 Posts
The previous owner of my SP2 made his own... I think I remember him telling me the rear LED light's from a CB400, but I could be mistaken - it was 4 years ago...

·
Registered
165 Posts
I don't know where this one came from, it was on the bike when I bought it. The positive attribute this one has is it has no visible profile from any direction, which is THE point.

It's one flat piece of aluminum with square punch-outs for the stock tail lights. I had to do lots of work to it. Everything behind the seat was left unmounted...... the computer, tool kit, and relays were loose in the "trunk". The aluminum plate was laying on the lip of the rear plastic. Any bump at all and it sounded like someone was shaking a bucket of bolts. But after making mounts for stuff under the seat and integrating the aluminum with the plastic and the frame, it now is right.

If it wasn't for the punch-outs for the stock tail light fitting perfectly I would have to say this was home made
Looks like a Competition Werks under tail!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts