Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I changed out the spark plugs on the Five-One for the first time today. I must say, it was really easy to do.

I do have one concern however.

A few weeks ago, I asked my friend how many spark plugs the FIve-One had. To my surprise, he said four. Okay, so I play along thinking maybe he knows something I don't know since he's had one longer than I have. So I go to the auto parts store and buy four. ( I know you're shaking your head, cuz I can feel it ) of the NGK iridiums.

Well, I had some time today and go at it! The back was easy enough to get to. I found one, but was searching for the 'other' one. No luck.
So I just continue with my instincts and press on with the forward one. Easy enough again with the help of moving the oil cooler. And again, there is only one. So I call up two dealers in California, since the dealers nearby were closed already, and the person on the other line of the first shop tells me there are four.
Okay, so I'm smelling some bad fish here, so I call another dealer and lo' and behold, only two is needed.

I wonder how many dealers, Five-One owners, or newbies like me, are misinformed of how many cylinders the Five-One has. hehhehe. I just thought it was odd. Two strikes out of three.

Anyways, the rear one was a bit more fouled than the forward one. Is this due to the oil being pushed back during hard acceleration?

Happy Independence Day BTW!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: How many spark plugs in a Five-One? (Hams51)

He might have missed understood that it's the sparkplugs

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: How many spark plugs in a Five-One? (3stripes)

Ask him:

1.) How many pistons and connecting rods are in a Mazda rotory engine?

2.) Is the water pump aluminum or steel in a VW Karmen Ghia?

3.) What's the diameter of the largest radiator hose in a 66 Corvair Monza?

4.) Is it difficult to remove dents from a 67 Corvette's fender?

5.) Does the radiator cap turn clockwise, or counter clockwise on a Porsche 911?

6.) Do farts have lumps?

(there's only two plugs..... one for each cylinder...)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: How many spark plugs in a Five-One? (Rigor)

I can't find anyone who knows which spark plugs go in my diesel!?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

You have 2 injectors per cylinder, but definitely 1 plug per. How many miles were on the plugs? I change mine like every 5K

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rigor- Man, I need to know those things! hahaha. I'll ask him the fart question though. How are those Champions compared to the NGK's?

I agree, he must've misunderstood me. But the dealer guys I can't forgive that easily.

My bike is at about 7700 miles so I thought I'd give them a change. I didn't know how easy they were to change. My FZ6 was a pain in the buttocks.

The bike runs a lot crisper now. I'm going to try to fill her up with high octane now. I've been slacking the past few trips to the petrol station and gave her some doses of the 87. Going to see if the higher octane will ignite cleaner and leave the plugs cleaner. Just an experiment.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hams51 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Anyways, the rear one was a bit more fouled than the forward one. Is this due to the oil being pushed back during hard acceleration?

Happy Independence Day BTW!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

no it has to do with that plugs proximity to your brain (the one that is up your ass)

You really should not be working on your own bike. The damage you WILL do will cost ten times the price it cost to pay someone that knows what the hell they are doing

OK ok, just playing with ya

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (Hams51)

i've had people ask alot of questions in my shop but the number of spark plugs is a common one because honda VT(shadows) use 2 plugs per cylinder, aprilia rsv's use 2 per cylinder... it's common to use 2 because of the huge combustion area of the 100mm+ pistons....

but the RC uses 1 per cylinder.. just like the VTR

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (Hams51)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hams51 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Cool, now I don't feel so new to the board anymore.</TD></TR></TABLE>

shiiiiiiit.......Sp2Pilot didn't even get into your ass..... he just rode the rim a little....

after that....... you're no longer new, and not a moment before.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
While we're on the subject.

Anybody got a trick to replace the front plug?? It is a pain to get to. If I didn't have to drop the oil cooler I might even change em every 5k.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (tarheelguy3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tarheelguy3 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">While we're on the subject.

Anybody got a trick to replace the front plug?? It is a pain to get to. If I didn't have to drop the oil cooler I might even change em every 5k.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope..that's sounds about right..ain't really that hard is it??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I highly recommend a service manual to avoid this kind of thing. Look on ebay.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: How many spark plugs in a Five-One? (Josh D)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Josh D »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I highly recommend a service manual to avoid this kind of thing. Look on ebay.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Werd! I'm Mr. El Cheapo right now so I'm just waiting for one at the right price. Unless someone has an extra one they're willing to part with??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hams51 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Werd! I'm Mr. El Cheapo right now so I'm just waiting for one at the right price. Unless someone has an extra one they're willing to part with??</TD></TR></TABLE>

They are free of the internet. Use search function and you'll find the thread to it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: How many spark plugs in a Five-One? (Rigor)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rigor »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ask him:

1.) How many pistons and connecting rods are in a Mazda rotory engine?

2.) Is the water pump aluminum or steel in a VW Karmen Ghia?

3.) What's the diameter of the largest radiator hose in a 66 Corvair Monza?

4.) Is it difficult to remove dents from a 67 Corvette's fender?

5.) Does the radiator cap turn clockwise, or counter clockwise on a Porsche 911?

6.) Do farts have lumps?

(there's only two plugs..... one for each cylinder...)</TD></TR></TABLE>

BWHAAHAH thats hilarious

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: (tarheelguy3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tarheelguy3 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">While we're on the subject.

Anybody got a trick to replace the front plug?? It is a pain to get to. If I didn't have to drop the oil cooler I might even change em every 5k.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What year is your 51? My 03 takes 2 minutes. All I do is remove the little airguide in front of the front cylinder (2 10mm) and the plug is right there? Must be an SP-1 thing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts