Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw on the board a couple of weeks ago where someone had mentioned that leathers start to deteriorate after some time.
I have a set of Dainese T3's that I bought back in 98-99. Been down in them a couple of times. Had them repaired (shoulders patched, zipper replaced, and crotch seam reinforced) I have another set of leathers, but the T3's are still the ones that I wear most often. They're soft pliable and well broken in to say the least. Should I be concerned about their crashability (new word, call Webster) lol.
What is the average lifespan of a set of leathers? Tested and virgin?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Mine are usually good for a little over a year, usually at least once during that time period I somehow feel the need to test their durability.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: How long are a set of leathers good for. (Highsider)

Hard to say.....

I have a set that I wear and they are three years old.

But I have a new set I just haven't lost enough weight to fit into

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: How long are a set of leathers good for. (AtomTan)

I've had my AGV Lazer suit since 1997. I've crashed in them about 8 times, the most recent going down on Brainerd's straightaway (rain) at about 125 mph. I slid for 100 yards (the bike went 300). They've held up extraordinarily well. I just got my new suit today (AGV Podium) only because having tattered leathers that don't match the new race bike is not my style. No blow-outs in the seams, just alot of scuff's & scrapes, and a few small holes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: How long are a set of leathers good for. (teamfrostbite)

Cmon Kurt, ever since the Urban Camo SV your leathers havent matched anything

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Yeah... it does indeed depend on how much you "test" them. Still, tested suits should last fine in most cases.

I've had my Dainese K-Suit for over 3 years now. Low-sided at about 110-ish in it. Got some stitching fixed... no problem. I have another suit now... RS-Taichi and have tested it twice. Had it for about a year. Still fine though. I use the K-Suit for rain racing.

In any case, if you keep the suit clean, condition the leather every once in a while and don't let it sit and/or hang in a damp environment, you should get some good use out of them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: How long are a set of leathers good for. (Tripod-R)

When you need to shoe horn your beer gut into them, it's time for new leathers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: How long are a set of leathers good for. (Ducman851)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ducman851 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Cmon Kurt, ever since the Urban Camo SV your leathers havent matched anything
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I guess you've got me there, but the leathers were already beat to hell in that time frame, making it look more like battle damage with the camo.
Who are you, Ducman?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

You have an IM.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teamfrostbite »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah, I guess you've got me there, but the leathers were already beat to hell in that time frame, making it look more like battle damage with the camo.
Who are you, Ducman?</TD></TR></TABLE>

True that

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: How long are a set of leathers good for. (Highsider)

I have one set of Dainese from 1984. I crashed tested them twice the first year I had them. They are now just used occasionaly on the street, and are still in good shape. I do use Lexol leather conditioner on them a couple of times a year. If they had armour in them, I would use them more. All my other leather suits ( one piece and two) are from the last 3 years, unscuffed and looking new.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: How long are a set of leathers good for. (D-Day)

Cool! I condition mine only once a year, but they seem like they're in decent shape. Enough so that I could probably get a fe more years of street riding use out of them so long as I don't push the testing thing too much further.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: How long are a set of leathers good for. (DocHolliday)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DocHolliday »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When you need to shoe horn your beer gut into them, it's time for new leathers.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I resemble that remark!

Jeff.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: How long are a set of leathers good for. (RCFiftyWon)

I have a set if straght cut leathers that fit me back in '50 & were fine including a number of prangs only in '01 I found even sucking in my gut they were, for some reason, to small for me. What a bummer & I am only 74+ yrs of age. LOL

Part of the credit would go to treating them more then once or twice a year.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: How long are a set of leathers good for. (Smitty)

Hey Smitty!

the guy from Sloan's Dry Cleaners called

and said they can't be responsible for any item

left over 30 YEARS!!!

30 years ago you were STILL older than most of these kids!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts