Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have taken a shining to the Supermoto bikes (Aprilia/Husky 610)

Am wondering if they will do well enough on the dirt tracks to where I can get rid of my KX 250. I am not a hardcore MX rider and mostly want to teach my boys how to ride MX and ride along with them. So if I can do basic MX tracks on a supermoto, I might replace the dirt bike.

Any of you have any experience with these bikes or suspermoto on dirt tracks?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention, I am hoping to take the Supermoto to track days with the R1 (THAT is the carrot!) :cool:

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
suspension is totally different set up. TBH Ièd keep the dirt bike for the dirt.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But don't the supermoto tracks have dirt sections with jumps etc? That is what got me thinking....

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Most tracks are (thank God!) getting rid of the mega jumps, ala X-Games, and running a more traditional (European) style track with much lower jumps and more dirt (30% dirt). I "tried" motoing my FS650c Husaberg supermoto, ONCE, and came to the conclusion that it would make a killer open class desert bike, but waaaay overkill for an MX track (with my skillset!)

Semper Fi! :rockon

-Rocky-

·
Señor Member
1,694 Posts
If you can ride a dirt bike on dirt, you can ride a dirt bike with 17s and slicks on dirt.

They aren't as awful as you might think. My (AMA Pro) racing buddy practiced on a MX track with his SuMo race setup routinely. I have rode my YZ at the MX track on slicks. You just have to be smooth. It hooks up better than you think. But if the track is even slightly damp, forget it - you will probably die.

Having said all that, a traditional MX bike is crap for riding around with the kids. MX bikes are for racing. If you're not racing, you're just stroking your ego by riding a modern MX bike. Get a cheap play bike and have fun riding instead of posing. A 150 or a 230 play bike is tremendous fun, and can be had used for the price of a spare set of wheels for a MX bike.

Seriously. Play bike for play, race bike for racing. What's strange about that?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts