Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you trying to do with the gas in a corner? What factors change how you use the gas in a corner? When do you crack on the throttle? What signals you to get on the gas?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: How do you use the throttle in a corner? (Stuman)

I maintain throttle position mid turn. I don't start rolling it on until I see the exit of the turn.

Hope this helps. I'm sure the many experts on this board have better and more sophisticated techniques.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: How do you use the throttle in a corner? (LDH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LDH »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Depends on the turn...</TD></TR></TABLE>

...and the bike...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: How do you use the throttle in a corner? (Toxic)

I normally turn it in a clockwise direction, but occasionally I turn it counter clockwise.

As a control question can you clearly explain camber thrust, and what it has to do with motorcyles?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

On the gas before the apex... all the time... hopefully... 'cause if that happens I've already found my line and will have a better exit.

More than that... what LDH and Toxic said.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

What are you trying to do with the gas in a corner?
Be as smooth as possible. Roll on or off. Don't chop the throttle or crank it open hard.

What factors change how you use the gas in a corner? All factors...

When do you crack on the throttle? Never.

What signals you to get on the gas? An opportunity to increase speed?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

What are you trying to do with the gas in a corner?Screwing it on as fast as possible without killing myself.

What factors change how you use the gas in a corner? Everything

When do you crack on the throttle?As soon as possible

What signals you to get on the gas?The bikes in front of me getting smaller

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: How do you use the throttle in a corner? (section8superbike)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by section8superbike »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
What signals you to get on the gas?The bikes in front of me getting smaller</TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe they are on a diet?...or your nearsighted??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: How do you use the throttle in a corner? (Just Riding Along)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by "Just Riding Along" »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As a control question can you clearly explain camber thrust, and what it has to do with motorcyles? </TD></TR></TABLE>

The lateral tire force due to the tire camber angle is known as camber thrust or camber force. I have Tony's book too. Maybe you could start a separate thread and we could discuss slip angle.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: How do you use the throttle in a corner? (Toxic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Toxic »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

...and the bike...</TD></TR></TABLE>
...and the tires...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Just Riding Along »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
As a control question can you clearly explain camber thrust, and what it has to do with motorcyles? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Camber thrust is very important to all suspension design (automobiles and bikes) because it effects the vehicle's steering characteristics(stability, steering effort, etc..)

You change this force when you adjust the rake on your bike...hence some settings make the bike more stable at speed and others create less effort to steer the bike...

-Tifosi

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: How do you use the throttle in a corner? (Tifosi)

I wouldn't call that an explanation Stuman, in fact if I was a little more cynical I'd call it sarcasm.

Now I'm under the impression that you're an instructor at a high performance motorcycle school. Am I mistaken? Now if I'm not mistaken it would seem that your typical questions are bit simplistic for the average member here. That's been commented on before. Also if you're who I think you are then you are a very experienced rider, and can't be asking these questions to solve a question about riding that you can't figure out on your own. Are you incorporating this Q&A into your curriculum?

I bet you'd get a lot more useful feedback if your motivation was clear. If this relates to business then maybe your employer should sponsor a riding tips area. Then we could all get back to arguing about who's ass Eddie Lawson would kick (Miguel, Matt, and Nicky put together for sure). Put up useful info and this crew will eat it up.

I don't have Tony's book but as the funny guy's say, "I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night".

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Just Riding Along »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">... Now if I'm not mistaken it would seem that your typical questions are bit simplistic for the average member here. ...
I bet you'd get a lot more useful feedback if your motivation was clear...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Indeed, I have wondered what your agenda might be.

Lacking any real information, I have to assume you are researching the opinions of motorcycle enthusiasts for later citation:

"When asked whether it is more desirable to be smooth, or quick, opinions of motorcyclists are evenly split between those who think smoothness is the key to quickness, and those who see the question as an invitation to make a tangential reference to oriental women with shaved pubic areas."

But to answer your question, I am a Keith Code wannabe... I set my throttle early to extend my rear suspension for good cornering clearance, and roll on smoothly, reaching full throttle at about precisely the time that I feel the corner is "done" (When all my SRs have disappeared). I carry more corner speed than many of my closest rivals, and find I have more drive out of the corners as well. I love mid corner. I love corner exits... If I have any issues from mid corner to exit, like pushing the front, or spinning the rear, it's rare, and when it does happen, it doesn't concern me much... I usually know why it happened, what it was I did differently to cause it, and I'm past it without incident pretty quickly.

My big problem is corner entries... I'm either lazy, braking weakly and too early, or I get all rushed and panicky as I approach the point where start the transition from full throttle to full braking. Either way, I'm not setting my corner entry speed efficiently, and that's where I lose ground. The fast guys roar past me in corner entries.

I'm also too timid with the front brake in the dirt on slicks. What do ya got to help me there?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: How do you use the throttle in a corner? (banda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by banda »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

. I set my throttle early to extend my rear suspension for good cornering clearance, and roll on smoothly, reaching full throttle at about precisely the time that I feel the corner is "done"</TD></TR></TABLE>

this more or less put it in a nut shell. Specially the part about keeping SOME throttle on through the whole turn to keep the chain tight, thus lifting your suspension and allow it to do it's job and giving your bike maximum clearance. If you let the bike go through with the suspension loaded (no throttle), it will have a harder time with cleartance and also letting the suspension work freely. How much and when you apply throttle from that point, depends on too many things (bike, rider, turn, etc)
they key is to be smooth when applying this tiny bit of throttle to get the chain tension and be smooth off the brakes, smooth off the clutch, smooth with the throttle application coming out.

best way to see good throttle application is to follow someone that's faster than you through the turns and try and listen for for their throttle application....of course let them know you will be following to get a listen so that hey slow down for you. That kind of applies for everything, follow the fast guys, learn from them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stuman »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What are you trying to do with the gas in a corner? What factors change how you use the gas in a corner? When do you crack on the throttle? What signals you to get on the gas?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wait for the voices in my head to tell me... but sometimes they are some dumb mfers...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: How do you use the throttle in a corner? (drsus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drsus »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">best way to see good throttle application is to follow someone that's faster than you through the turns and try and listen for for their throttle application.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Or listen to the MotoGP guys doing demo laps in onboard videos, where you'll hear them typically roll off, enter with the throttle off, crack it open at some point before or after the apex (really depends on the turn, there's no single answer here for every turn), and roll it on hard as they stand the bike up.

I remember riding one of Keith Code's bikes a few years ago, and it was set up so soft that you'd crash the pegs or the exhaust into the ground unless you entered with the throttle on, and god help you if you tried to trailbrake. I think he did that on purpose as a teaching tool.
But if you set up your bike properly you absolutely can enter with the throttle completely off if that's the thing to do in a particular turn.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: How do you use the throttle in a corner? (JeffKoch)

I really couldn't have answered this question until last year when I did a track day with a video camera mounted on the rear of the bike looking forward. Watching the video later, I noticed that I would have the bike almost all the way over, with the knee puck about an inch off of the ground, and as I rolled the throttle on I would lean the bike the rest of the way over and finish the turn with the knee puck skimming the pavement. I never knew it before, but I never have the knee down with the throttle closed, at least at Gingerman.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Just Riding Along »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Then we could all get back to arguing about who's ass Eddie Lawson would kick (Miguel, Matt, and Nicky put together for sure).</TD></TR></TABLE>

Depends on the tracks as well. From what I can see, Mladin has the AMA tracks pretty wired. Methinks he could ride them by smell after all this time. I was suprised how quickly Hodgson adapted but I guess they don't send those boys to MotoGP for nuffin'. On a production based four-stroke at an AMA track, I'd put Mladin up against most anyone.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts