Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
stupid question- is it that squirmy feeling and hopping around in the back when hard on the front brakes? I thought that should be that, but noone can give me a difinitive answer. and if this is it, then how do I fix it? my sag is 25mm and compression feels pretty firm. is different rate springs the aswer?
thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: how do you know your front is bottoming out (isaltyko)

put a tierap on one of the fork legs,when you will compress the forks it will tell you to what extent your forks travel,if you have 1/2 to 3/4 inch left while braking very hard it should be good but be careful cause some brand of forks bottom before the end of the complete travel.spring rate and oil level should be checked.thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: how do you know your front is bottoming out (livharder)

Could also be that you need to speed up the rebound dampening on the rear shock.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Yeah, lots of variables here.

If you are really bottoming out the forks, you will feel a small hit in the front end... like you are indeed touching "rock bottom". You could still be using all the travel, but it's hard to say really. Definitely do the ZIP tie on the forks for starters and see where it ends up on the bottom of the fork tube.

If the back end is hopping around, then... yes... the front end could be diving too much... MAYBE. As stated before, I would take two clicks of rebound OUT of the rear shock. Make it softer that is. If your rear shock is stock, then you might need to do more than two clicks, but do two clicks for starters. If the rear rebound is too tight, then when the front end dives, the rear shock is not letting the lighter rear end "drop" and track over the ground.

On the fork oil note, increasing the fork oil will definitely help prevent the fork from bottoming out, but too much will decrease overall travel and could firm your forks up too much. When is the last time you serviced the forks? It could be that your stuff is just like dirty water now.

If your sag numbers are close, I would not mess with preload or spring rates just yet. If you can't dial it out with damping, then look into spring rates and/or fork oil levels.

Take that for what it's worth.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: how do you know your front is bottoming out (Tripod-R)

thanks guys. don't think the ziptie will work-rightsideup forks. stock 600rr, only acouple of track days old so not likely old oil.
I'll try taking out the rebound on the back

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by isaltyko »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks guys. don't think the ziptie will work-rightsideup forks. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sure it will. Just slide the zip tie down to the top of the fork seal. After a test ride, extend the forks all the way and measure the distance between the fork seal and the zip tie.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

And if you have a coating on your sliders, don't use a zip tie, use a dry erase marker.

I used a zip tie for years, and while I never wrecked a fork, I can now see how it would pack grit against the surface. I had so much fun with the marker I did the shock, and anything else I could think of.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts