Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the "first gen" LED hotbodies undertail I'm trying to install.

Is there an installation guide somewhere? Their website is horrible and I can't find anything in Search.

I'm not sure how much I need to cut from the OE, which wires go where, etc...

So far it looks like the brake lights don't work when I mock-wired it up. And I don't know how to wire this thing up to my OE connectors that connect to the OE tail. Sure as heck not going to cut the OE wiring apart to get it to work.

Lost and frustrated.

Thanks.

P.S. Once I get this effin' thing installed I'll attack the poor lighting issue of the LED's... for now, I just want to RIDE MY BIKE, help!

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
Since the stock brakelight wires plug right into the bulb holder, you are left with only one option without cutting the plug off, which is to solder the hotbodies wires to the bulb holder. I don't even know if the metal on those will allow you to do that.

On the turn signal part, you could hack the plugs off the turn signal side of the connection.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to use "external" directionals and skip the HB directionals, so that won't be a problem. But soldering it on is going to destroy the OE connectors. So that isn't an option.

What have others done with this? I know it was a very popular mod for a while.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I didn't want to alter the stock electrical connectors either so:

Turn Signals - goto 050 Connectors
and get some FEMALE 2 Position 050 Connectors (not the -HC ones)

Be careful to figure out which wire goes into which side of the connector BEFORE you push the terminal into the plastic. I have no figured out how to get them out again once they snap in. Thus the advice to get several more than you think you need. Also get some extra .050 female terminals too, in case you make a soldering mistake, want to shorten a wire or lose one.

They are also great for tapping into the license plate light plug for phone/gps power, and the front turn signals use the connectors too.
Running and Brake Lights -
I went to RadioShack and got some blade terminals and soldered them on the ends of the three wires from my undertail I needed to use: +12v Running, +12v Brake and -Ground.

I then inserted the three blades into one of the the tailight bulb sockets and then wrapped the whole thing in black electrical tape.

Note that unlike regular bulbs, LED's require correct polarity, so when you said yours didn't work, maybe all you have to do is switch the pos and neg wires going to the LED's.

In the picture above I just tested the different wires on a 12v battery until figured out which ones were which, then I labeled them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.