Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this article on Suzuki of Great Britain's web site:

http://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/article.asp?id=289

It's about John Hopkins taking delivery of a new Suzuki motocross bike.

We all know that Hopper is part English. But most of us have heard him speak, in interviews and, in the nouveau classic movie "Faster". He sounds like a kid who grew up in California. A surfer dude, if you will.

Check out the quotes in this article...

"It's an awesome piece of kit."
"It has heaps of power.'
"I've always been a keen motocross rider..."

Piece of kit? Heaps? Keen?

Is Hopper aping the English? Or did Suzuki of Great Britain translate his surfer-speak for purposes of localization? Or is he just so young and impressionable that he's picked up the British colloquialisms?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Hopper talks like a limey? (banda)

I think if you live somewhere for 5 years you will pick up the local dialect and talk like those wankers...

Cheers!

LOL!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Hopper talks like a limey? (hearing8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hearing8 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think if you live somewhere for 5 years you will pick up the local dialect and talk like those wankers...

Cheers!

LOL!</TD></TR></TABLE>
I agree. I'm born, and raised in New England. My parents are from North Carolina. They both speak northern now. My father has a little twang in his speech. I spent 7 months in Agusta, GA for the CT National Gaurd. I sounded like a hill billy by time I came back to CT.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by banda »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">... He sounds like a kid who grew up in California. A surfer dude, if you will...?</TD></TR></TABLE>

he did grow up in Cali, just outside of Elsinore.

he used to skateboard with my kid.

Big Willow was his homecourt.

but he's always been a wanker!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Actually, he is American, but is the only member of his family not born in Britain; his parents and sister emigrated from Britain.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Hopper talks like a limey? (spezjag)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spezjag »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Actually, he is American, but is the only member of his family not born in Britain; his parents and sister emigrated from Britain.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, duh.

The point I'm making is that he doesn't talk like a native of the British Isles in any of the interviews I've heard before... but all of a sudden when he's selling dirtbikes to Englishmen, it's all "ooh crikey, mate, that's a fair bit of kit, now, idden' it?" or "It's just heaps of brilliant. I'm just ever so keen to have a go at it."

I'm saying that there's a two possibilities here:

Hopper speaks differently depending on his audience.
-or-
Hopper's original quotes to Suzuki were "Limey-ized" for the Suzuki GB web site.

Which do you think it was?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by banda »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm saying that there's a two possibilities here:

Hopper speaks differently depending on his audience.
-or-
Hopper's original quotes to Suzuki were "Limey-ized" for the Suzuki GB web site.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

which ever it is , i hope John is making some money with it.

i haven't seen him on any hi profile commercials with Schu or Tiger... yet!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts