Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please help me price this bike (possible buy)

Hey there all,

Im in the market for a DUC. But im getting all these crazy prices. So I need your guys help in pricing this bike so that I can counter offer.

Bike #1 :

2001 Ducati (Bipostal)

7000 miles
always garaged, 6k service done, Giannelli exh, lots of carbon fiber, lots of upgrades, meticulously maintained bike, $8900 obo

This is an email that he sent me with the full parts list on the bike:

2001 748
RED, BIPOSTO
7200 MILES
ALWAYS GARAGED, EXCELLENT CONDITION
ALL SERVICE DONE AT PRO ITALIA (GLENDALE) OR PRO ITALIA SANTA BARBARA
6000 MILE SERVICE DONE
UPGRADES:
BRIDGESTONE BATTLAX TIRES IN GOOD CONDITION
GIANNELLI 52 MM CARBON FIBER EXHAUST WITH ECU UPGRADES ($900)
CARBON FIBER FRONT FENDER ($200)
C/F REAR FENDER/ RACING CHAIN GUARD ($250)
C/F HEAT AND HEEL GUARDS
EVOLUZIONE QUICK CHANGE REAR SPROCKET CARRIER WITH 14T/41T CHANGE WITH D.I.D. X-RING GOLD 520 CHAIN ($350)
HELI BARS ($250)
REAR TURN SIGNAL/ LICENSE RELOCATOR ELIMINATOR ($90)
LOW TEMP FAN SWITCH
SEARGANT SEAT ($240)
HIGH INTENSITY LIGHT BULBS
SMOKED WINDSCREEN, ZERO-GRAVITY ($75)

He said he wouldnt go lower than $8k. Im looking for 7-7.5k <---(the most I would offer). I listed the NADA pricing. Am I low balling? I feel that Im not. Just need some opinions. Thanks

2001 DUCATI 748 NADA PRICES (LINK BELOW)
http://www.nadaguides.com/Valu...03023

Modified by Venomized at 9:26 PM 5/24/2005

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well, just FYI this past dec. I picked up a brand new (19mi) 2001 748R - which has ohlins front/ rear, 65% larger carbon airbox, shower injectors, slipper clutch, narrow band rotors, 4 pad calipers, etc etc.. all stock for $9500. So i'd say those prices around $9000 are quite optimistic.

Also I saw the exact same thing with about 2K miles on it go for $10000 on ebay not too long ago. I'd say those bikes are priced high.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: (themagicalswitch)

oh and those "mods" - the exhausts, chips, etc... don't really count for shit when it is time to sell.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im with you on that "Magical". For some reason (maybe because its riding season). They think they will get thier money back for the mods. What should I offer them that is reasonable and not a "real" lowball offer? Thanks

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: (Venomized)

Well the 6000 mile service is big $$$$ if you don't do your own maintenance, so I'd take that into consideration when choosing between the two. The 7000 mile one is only 3000 miles more, but will basically save you $600+ for the service.

I'd offer $7000 - $7500 and see what happens. Right now there is a yellow 2001 748 bip. with a buy it now of $7500 so it looks like that may be about right on the price.

Let us know what you do.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IMO - those guys are only being reasonable on the asking price...

they know that they will be talked down in price, so they start high, that's just how you play the game.

They mention all the mods, not for more money more than likely, but rather to make their bike stand out as already having all the mods so you don't have to spend the money on them.....which they see as a perk, another reason why their bike is the better one on the market....

at least that's how I see it....

as for price....I would never rule out a bike that's a grand above what you want to pay as the starting asking price.....

heck, my 02 900SS was listed at 7500......which was a tad more than I REALLY wanted to spend....but I bargened and got it down to 6500....so don't rule them out just because they are asking 9 and you want to only pay 7-7500. Talk with them, let them know you are interested, let them get to know you a bit, THEN work your way down.....if they wont come down to your price, simply walk away.....no loss on your part

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: (Hopefully new Duc owner) What would you pay for these bikes??? (Venomized)

I say spend a little more and get a used 999. Remember, price is a one time issue but quality and performance lasts throughout the life of the purchase.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Can someone please help me price this bike (Venomized)

Bump to the top for some more advice!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: (Hopefully new Duc owner) What would you pay for these bikes??? (socal)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by socal »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I say spend a little more and get a used 999. Remember, price is a one time issue but quality and performance lasts throughout the life of the purchase.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ditto

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: (Hopefully new Duc owner) What would you pay for these bikes??? (socal)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by socal »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I say spend a little more and get a used 999. Remember, price is a one time issue but quality and performance lasts throughout the life of the purchase.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

And so do ugly-duckling looks.

I personally would look at the maintenance history and how much the owner cares about the bike first. Everyone wants a great deal and knows so-and-so who bought a similar bike for a song, but they're all different and if you wind up with a lemon then that great deal won't look so great anymore.

Beyond that, the bike has a bunch of mods that you might or might not want to spend money on yourself, so decide for yourself what they're worth. I know a couple guys who've sold 748s with lots of miles and few mods for around 6K recently, so good luck getting this bike for 7K - if I was the owner I'd just wait longer until someone else offers more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts