Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know from a few friends that with the yamaha card they (yamaha) don't really care what kind of insurance you have or even if you have insurance, and i was wondering if Honda is the same way?? I know not having insurance is stupid, but I'd like just having liability without being forced into full coverage, seeing as im 19 and I'd be getting raped. Anyone know from experience? i tried on another website but didnt get a definate answer, maybe someone here has used the card.. also does it have to be a new bike, can it be a used honda from a dealership?
 

·
Clone
Joined
·
781 Posts
iF YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO TRIDE THAN YOU PROBABLY SHOULDN'T I work for ahosiptal and literally see 40 cases a year of young people in traffic accidents that don't have insurance and no health insurance either. For god sake man don't ride if you can' t protect yourself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
I thought I heard somewhere on here that Honda changed their system so it is just basically a credit card and you don't have to have full coverage. Although that is going to be a lot of interest, it basically is interest upon interest. I would advise you try to get a loan on your own one that uses simple interest that way even if it is a higher rate you end up paying less.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,504 Posts
You should probably get a dirt bike. At least it's not as likely that you will take someone else out when your in the woods! You know... you don't just have insurance for yourself. What happens if you take out some family guy and his wife and kids are left with nothing? Me Me Me..... I'm so tired of young people not thinking about the consequences of their actions!:wtf
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its not that i wouldnt get insurance i wouldnt get full coverage... i def want liability... interest on the honda card is 8.95% if you qualify (which i do), and i can afford to ride but i think its stupid to pay $275 a month for full coverage... i only have 1 speeding ticket
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,504 Posts
revs2ninegrand said:
its not that i wouldnt get insurance i wouldnt get full coverage... i def want liability... interest on the honda card is 8.95% if you qualify (which i do), and i can afford to ride but i think its stupid to pay $275 a month for full coverage... i only have 1 speeding ticket
It's only stupid till you need it .... !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i mean't having to pay that much is stupid, I'm definately all for full coverage, I have full coverage on my other vehicles
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
The Honda, Suzuki, and Yamaha cards are just a credit card basically with a high limit. You could buy any brand, year, condition of bike so long as its at a dealership.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,504 Posts
revs2ninegrand said:
i mean't having to pay that much is stupid, I'm definately all for full coverage, I have full coverage on my other vehicles
You asked for my opinion so here it is... if you can't afford full coverage, you can't afford to ride it! It is NOT worth the risk for a toy! You have other vehicles so you don't need it to go to work or school. You just want it! I give you props for asking the question and for considering these replies but think about how much of your life could be screwed if/when something happens. Not to mention someone elses life. Remember, the reason insurance is so high is because of people your age getting into a machine that they can't handle or don't have insurance for! I have to pay for that BS along with everyone else. It doesn't just effect you! :twocents
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
beaugator said:
You asked for my opinion so here it is... if you can't afford full coverage, you can't afford to ride it! It is NOT worth the risk for a toy! You have other vehicles so you don't need it to go to work or school. You just want it! I give you props for asking the question and for considering these replies but think about how much of your life could be screwed if/when something happens. Not to mention someone elses life. Remember, the reason insurance is so high is because of people your age getting into a machine that they can't handle or don't have insurance for! I have to pay for that BS along with everyone else. It doesn't just effect you! :twocents
i appreciate and understand your opinion, but I'm sure not everyone who has a bike has full coverage... risks are part of life, and if i crash the bike, that is my fault and I'll pay up for it. I plan on having the bike paid off while im in basic training this winter and im sure after I'm done with that I'll be more than willing to pay for full coverage since I will not have the payment. Being without full coverage will only be for a few months.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
912 Posts
try shopping around some more for insurance, or get a bike that isn't a race replica. Something classified as sport touring will have significantly lower insurance rates, it will still be more bike than you can fully use on the street, and be more comfortable to boot.

I had a bike with full coverage at 18, and it wasn't that bad... I'm 22 now and back in the states on my RC51, took me a while to find cheap insurance but I'm getting it for 880 a year full coverage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
State Farm is usually pretty reasonable but it depends on where you live, but seriously if you credit is good enough get a loan with simple interest you will probably save at least a grand on it. Simple interest is always better than revolving, I know the lure to get a new toy is pretty strong but if you have to wait a year so that you can build some credit or save some money the amount you save will be worth it. You also never want to finance more than 80 percent no matter what kind of loan, as the loan is rated as a higher risk thus they charge you more. I do loans debt consolidation and a few others things for a living so this is something I know quite a bit on, I am just trying to save you some money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
i bought my rc51 on the honda credit card. I got like a 3% interest rate for the first 2 years then after that it goes up to like 12% I have one more year until my intrest goes up. Thankfully ill be able to pay it off before then. What kills me is paying $233 a month in insurance. The honda card requires i carry full coverage insurance. Since this was my first bike, i thought this was super expensive. Ive since learned with my bag of close calls that i cant have enough insurance. Its a big investment to throw away.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,333 Posts
revs2ninegrand said:
i appreciate and understand your opinion, but I'm sure not everyone who has a bike has full coverage... risks are part of life, and if i crash the bike, that is my fault and I'll pay up for it. I plan on having the bike paid off while im in basic training this winter and im sure after I'm done with that I'll be more than willing to pay for full coverage since I will not have the payment. Being without full coverage will only be for a few months.
Just remember liability won't pay if you crash, drop your bike or it gets stolen. And I have seen all of those happen to others. My state minimum is $15,000 and $30,000 but I have $100,000 and $300,000 full coverage just in case plus full coverage medical insurance which still isn't enough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
venicedan said:
i bought my rc51 on the honda credit card. I got like a 3% interest rate for the first 2 years then after that it goes up to like 12% I have one more year until my intrest goes up. Thankfully ill be able to pay it off before then. What kills me is paying $233 a month in insurance. The honda card requires i carry full coverage insurance. Since this was my first bike, i thought this was super expensive. Ive since learned with my bag of close calls that i cant have enough insurance. Its a big investment to throw away.
so how did that work, did they make sure you had insurance before you left the dealer, or did they send a letter??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
615 Posts
helmets are expensive, too and i have one.

my 2 cents . . .

there is absolutely NO WAY i'd ride a (newer) bike without full coverage. two of my friends who did that are still paying for bikes that were total'd years ago. a buddy of mine crashed his new superhawk a few years back. he only had liability. he's still making payments on the bike . . . and it was completely totaled. so, in addition to the new bike he got, he still has to pay for a bike he hasn't ridden in 2 years. one bike for the price of two.

it's just not worth it to me. especially if you're going to ride these bikes like they are meant to be ridden.

also - full coverage usually offers some form of protection against uninsured drives. liability usually does not. so even if you're the best rider in the world, you still share the roads with people who are uninsured.

also 2.0 - what happens if the bike gets knocked over in the parking lot? have you priced OEM plastics? if you can't afford the insure, i'd bet you can't afford the repairs.

but hey - it's your money (well, Honda's money) so do what you want.
 

·
TOP GUN Instructor
Joined
·
5,717 Posts
right on!

+1!......Man, I couldn't have said it better myself!......Thanks!....Oh by the way, I have an 2004RC51 full coverage.......and a 1985 VF1000R....1985 with FULL coverage!........:clapper



If something ever happened to you on the road without it,....This would be YOU:banghead :banghead


Peace
Jeff


PS. Don't buy a mc, unless you can BUY the FULL coverage!.......MY:twocents



5150KC said:
helmets are expensive, too and i have one.

my 2 cents . . .

there is absolutely NO WAY i'd ride a (newer) bike without full coverage. two of my friends who did that are still paying for bikes that were total'd years ago. a buddy of mine crashed his new superhawk a few years back. he only had liability. he's still making payments on the bike . . . and it was completely totaled. so, in addition to the new bike he got, he still has to pay for a bike he hasn't ridden in 2 years. one bike for the price of two.

it's just not worth it to me. especially if you're going to ride these bikes like they are meant to be ridden.

also - full coverage usually offers some form of protection against uninsured drives. liability usually does not. so even if you're the best rider in the world, you still share the roads with people who are uninsured.

also 2.0 - what happens if the bike gets knocked over in the parking lot? have you priced OEM plastics? if you can't afford the insure, i'd bet you can't afford the repairs.

but hey - it's your money (well, Honda's money) so do what you want.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Remember, the reason insurance is so high is because of people your age getting into a machine that they can't handle or don't have insurance for! I have to pay for that BS along with everyone else. It doesn't just effect you

While I agree that having full coverage is the best idea(and I have full coverage) this guy is having a problem CAUSED by insurance co.'s not by himself. In most of this country it is a law requiring you carry insurance, however there are no laws in place governing how much insurance co.'s can charge...that is called a MONOPOLY. When is the last time you heard of a large ins. co. filing bankrupcy? Take a look at how much money big ins. co.'s spend on lobbying and campaign contributions and you get a real nice picture of the truth. i.e. ...Katrina, ins. co.'s claim if they pay out all claims they will be bankrupt...fed's response declare it a federal disaster area taxpayers eat the repair/rebuild costs. Solution: Insurance Co's should not be allowed to right more policies than they can pay out on period! If you write 10 million in coverage you should be required by law to have 10 million standing by in case of the worst.
Eric
01RC51
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top