Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: holy crapoli, that's an engine! (drsus)

Very cool.

(although I did think she was going to explode, which might have been just a bit cooler).

I went to my first F1 race thinking 'Ear plugs? We don't need no stinking ear plugs.'

BIG mistake.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: holy crapoli, that's an engine! (JamesP)

I went to my first F1 race when it was held at Brickyard for the first time since F1 stopped coming to USA. (was it 2000? 2001?)

Very cool. Man, i remember being glued to TV back home in Latvia when i was a kid watching Airton Senna and Damon Hill battle it out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: holy crapoli, that's an engine! (Just Riding Along)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Just Riding Along »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check this out, engine-ious. Watch for the fuel to get dumped in. You've got to work down to the bottom right edge of the file to get it to play, but it's worth it.

http://www.eurosport.com/home/...shtml
</TD></TR></TABLE>

WOW, that was cool. Much better than the first one posted, this one includes shifting instead of just reving.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: holy crapoli, that's an engine! (jbraslins)

I've been to the F1 race a few times in Indy. My favorite part is the warmup lap (or whatever they call it). Right in front of our seats most of the cars take turns doing burnouts up against the rev limiter. 10 cylinders at 20k RPM is a pretty sweet sound!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the second one looks like a race simulation, I saw the track up on a monitor at the start of the clip.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I bet one of the old hands could name the track just from the sound.

That clip also used to be posted on Renault's F1 website. The original was a really high quality, the one on Eurosport's a bit jumpy compared.

I played it for my son (just over a year old at the time), and after that I couldn't touch the laptop without putting it on for him again at least once.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drsus »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check out this clip of an F1 engine

http://members.roadfly.org/AEs....mpeg </TD></TR></TABLE>

Seems like this clip is making it's 'round through alot of forums! That video is of the former Arrow's-team "signing-off" in '02 (?) from F1 for good. Sort of like a going away present to their fans, the team opened up their garage doors & hoisted the car onto jack stand for some 'musical muscle'.

Modern F1 engines idle around 6000RPMs & rev just past 19K (not 20). They also rely heavily on the massive air-scoops on the cars for cooling, as you can see how quickly the exhaust turned red-white hot.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: holy crapoli, that's an engine! (Ace)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ace »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Modern F1 engines idle around 6000RPMs & rev just past 19K (not 20).</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know that nobody is hitting 20K RPM this year, but I believe the BMW motor did rev to 20K two years ago in qualifying trim. And I'm pretty sure I couldn't tell the difference between 18K and 20K when they were hitting the rev limiter. They sound sweet sweet sweet either way!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (drsus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drsus »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">19 20, anything over 10 is just ridiculous
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I ride a Buell, and therefore I find anything over 7,500 simply amazing! How do they do that??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: (Baasinator)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Baasinator »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How do they do that??
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Pneumatic valves help alot. Don't know if it's true, but I read somewhere that they experimented with valves actuated with electro-magnets.

Those nutty F1 engineers just won't quit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
one thing about F1...by the time WE see schematics like that, we are about 5 years behind their actual technology.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts