Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
EXTREME mass centralization ! From the Owner's Manual : "Checking Valves : 1) Lie on your back ..."

·
Registered
17 Posts
Upside down 3 cyl

Kawasaki had a 2 stroke upside down twin at Daytona in the late '80's.
I think kiwi Stroud rode it and he was unimpressed: "It don't work right -- mate!" he said in the garage.

The main disadvantage seems to be the high c-o-g and the high location of the crank. The crank, rods and pistons are the third gyro. Its relationship to the front wheel and rear wheel gyro's is critical to handling and control of any motorcycle.

Traditional British design doctrine held that both axles, the crank and the output sprocket be aligned.
:wtf

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Traditional British design doctrine held that both axles, the crank and the output sprocket be aligned.
I am certain that engineers at Husaberg would beg to differ. Have a look at the latest generation of their enduro bikes (HUSABERG Motorcycles - Enduro, Supermoto) with the crank located centrally and up high (in the centre of gravity, with cylinders leaning forward by 70 degrees IIRC), a design meant to make the bike more responsive (a success based on test reports I have read).

Food for thought....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts