Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Just call me JT ;-)
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to install my Scotts damper and i cant for the life of me muscle the big 41mm nut off the triple tree....and thoughts? do i need to get an airgun/wrench to break this thing loose? help!

(its torqued to 76ft/lbs from the factory)

·
rc racer D.O.G. Ind
510 Posts
spray penetrating oil

penetrating oil will work over night being that the corrosion is probably locking the threads then get a bigger handle on the socket

·
Registered
29 Posts
If it's 02+, 100+ ft/lbs is the correct torque. Try placing a socket that is slightly larger than the steering tube and hammer it briskly. That should loosen it, unless it's rusted shut. Also, you need to get a long torque wrench that handles 100+ ft/lbs.

·
Just call me JT ;-)
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow im glad you told me that cause my shop manual is for the 2000-2001 RC's and i didnt think it would be that much of a difference. i guess i should go get the right manual now that i know there are such differences. thanks! :) im leaving today for a road trip down to Nags Head, so i dont have time to mess with it, however when i get back my buddy offered up his Air gun to break it off. ill give it a whirl.

i did use a 1/2in socket wrench with about a foot long extenion pipe on the handle, but no luck :(

·
HRC
158 Posts
I used a 24" breaker bar with a footlong pipe as an extension ... Needless to say, I broke it loose very easily...

·
Just call me JT ;-)
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks everyone, i actually used an airgun last monday and it came right off. them i used the torque wrench to install the new one from Scotts. Damper is on and im happy :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
This also works. 1 5/8 Craftsman from Sears for about $25.00

It is slightly big but works fine. I would rather have a 41mm but could not find one at the time, unless you count the 41mm Snap-on wrench that I could have bought for $900.00 :wacky and no that is not a typo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts