Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is better placed elsewhere, but I would like opinions on the value for several bikes which will be for sale between now and next spring. The bikes all belong to my mother as my father passed away in April 2010, and she finally got all the titiles straightened out through probate. I have looked up NADA prices online and done limited ebay/speedzilla searches for comparable prices but not alot of luck for many of them. I'll list them including some of the extras for each that I remember as I have ridden all numerous times in the past. Please no flames as I have no financial investment in the sales at all.

1. 1984 BMW R100RS(blue with the large front fairing)-23.6K miles, excellent condition with hard bags and original with corbin seat upgrade. NADA about $4100

2. 1991 BMW K100RS with ABS, dark charcoal, hard bags, 37K, Staintune full ss exhaust, corbin seat, hard bags(sport touring model not the larger toruing LT model), NADA around $4000.

3. 1999 Yamaha YZFR1-blue/white, 3700 miles, perfect condition, MIG high slip-on, rear seat cover(looks like single seat tail), undertail, ohlins steering damper, smoke windscreen, low profile markers I think up front

4. 1991 Bimota Dieci-red/silver, 23k miles, termi slip on carbon exhaust, technomagnesio wheels, 1058cc Vances and Hines big bore kit and presumably rejetted with that, excellent condition except right faring has two small areas where a piece of paint has peeled up but not come off(probably $500-$750 to repaint perfect) and front fork seals need replaced with slight leaks, NADA excellent $6k, good is $4k so I was thinking $5k as is with $1k to fix to excellent condition.

5. 1997 Bimota YB11 100cc yamaha motor stock except I think Arrow exhaust ?full. , 8500 miles, NADA around $4600

6. 2000 Honda RC51 less than 8K miles, pristine, extras include high mount slip-ons(Blue Flame), Hyperpro steering damper, dyno jet pc, 15tooth sprocket, undertail(Dussault), CRG levers and bar end mirror, double bubble screen, arrow racing resets, low profile front markers, stainless lines brake and clutch, Sargeant seat. all original parts available I think, thinking $5-5.5K max but not sure here

I really appreciate the help. The RC51 and BMWs have been ridden yearly and ran perfect this summer. The yamaha and bimotas have mostly been stored for three years (always inside) and I siphoned gas and put in fresh this summer, started all and rode them short distance. They ran fine on rode but will not hold warm idle (off choke) even after rding, so I presume the carbs need cleaning. Anyone have advice on doing this without removing the carbs which I don't feel comfortable doing, ie any additives. Thanks again.

·
This space for rent
1,478 Posts
The yamaha and bimotas have mostly been stored for three years (always inside) and I siphoned gas and put in fresh this summer, started all and rode them short distance. They ran fine on rode but will not hold warm idle (off choke) even after rding, so I presume the carbs need cleaning. Anyone have advice on doing this without removing the carbs which I don't feel comfortable doing, ie any additives. Thanks again.

You can get a product at Yamaha dealers called ring free and mix it with the fuel, if you mix it at shock value you will need to change the oil afterwards. That should clean out the carbs and get them idling again.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Although I have yet to use it , many people with carbed bikes absolutely swear by Seafoam for the precise problem you have . Pour in the required amount , ride it for a while , then park it overnight so the treated fuel sits in the carbs , ride again and repeat . Worth a try before resorting to carb work .

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Seafoam is mostly naphtha IIRC. I wonder what it would do to rubber parts in high concentrations? It is basically a rubber solvent after all.

Another product to try would be Chevron Techtron. A few weeks ago when I was getting my 851 back together it had sat long enough that the remaining fuel in fuel pump prevented it from working. I put a high concentration (about half a bottle for 2 gallons gas) and let it sit in the tank and fuel pump. On the third day the fuel pump started and has ran perfectly since.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
I use a little Seafoam...many swear by it, I have not had any major problems I have tried to cure with the stuff but I think it does work pretty well and I use it as a maintenance item.

I would try using it and see what happens. I just fixed a little trail bike with those issues...would not idle without choke...clogged pilot jet!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the carb cleaning advice, I'll try the Yamaha dealer here and see about their product or try the seafoam. I'll have to check the BMW groups since the 84 R100RS is truly vintage to get better idea about pricing. Bikes are in northern Ohio FWIW but I'll probably have to adress the maintainance in spring as riding season is near end here and I'm too busy at work for the trip and exta work for now anyway. Again thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
post pics, or pm them to me, i can tell you what you will get for half the bikes, realistically, as i buy and sell bikes second hand for a living. also need to know where you live, as locations with riding seasons have significant fluctuations in price. there is also usually a 1-2k price range depending on how long you want to sit on the bike, among other factors. also where you sell the bike, different demographics and such.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The bikes are all in northern Ohio between cleveland and toledo. With the exception of the small areas of pealing paint on one panel on the Bimota Dieci the bikes are as close to excellent as can be had for the stated mileage(RC51 and R1 are pretty close to new quality). By excellent I go by what kelly blue book considers excellent which is top 5% available assuming I get the gas flowing well again as both cosmetically and mechanically they are otherwise excellent. I do not have pictures available as they are stored at my mother's three hours away, but any more help with pricing with that in mind is appreciated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts