Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some extra money and have been thinking about buying a second bike lately. However, I'm feeling a bit guilty and want some comments. My present bike is a 1997 900 SS/SP (Penske, SBK forks, HC pistons, Marvic mags, FCRs, Sargent saddle, blah, blah, blah) and I LOVE it. However, I got bitten by the MV bug (1000s).

Pros: Lust/desire, put fewer miles on SS/keep it set up for track days, retiring soon, have the $.
Cons: $$$, I can only ride 1 bike at a time, retiring soon, would I still ride both bikes?
What do you multiple bike types think?
?
Joe

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Help!! One bike or 2? (Joe B)

I know there will be lots of guys who say have as many as you want, but when I had a 900 Monster and a 916 at the same time I always went to the garage looked at both and rode the 916. I don't think I'm wired to have more than one bike. If you buy a MV1000, you'll probably never ride the SS/SP again.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Help!! One bike or 2? (Phil 998)

Depends on what your plans are.

For me I am trying to do more track days, so having two bikes makes no sence, as you'll need tires, parts and travel/track expences.

But if not for that, i'd so get S4R to ride on the street and leave 999 for track only.

So it really depends on what your goals are.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Help!! One bike or 2? (Phil 998)

If the bikes are set up the same geometry wise you'll probably only ride the one you like better. But if one is setup aggressively and the other more like a sport tourer then you'll probably ride both.

Besides when maintenance and upgrades come on one bike, you can ride the other.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Best bike I´ve owned: MV Agusta -- It was like having a “super model” as a girlfriend and looked and performed incredibly.

Worst bike I´ve owned: MV Agusta -- It didn’t have any “soul” in its “super model” envelope. I like to say that I got rid of it and pursued a different “hot blooded Italian mistress that made life more interesting and entertaining instead”.

Have two bikes for awhile in the garage. The 900SS/SP will hold it's value. Then decide after six months or a year.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

The 900 SS/SP is worth hanging onto. But I have to agree with Phil. I had my 748 and an m900, rode the 748 everywhere. Then I had the 999 and 748, had to force myself to take the 748 out. My advice - get the MV and then see if you are still riding the 900. If not, sell it. But you may find them different enough to enjoy.

Aaron

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i've got a 96 900 ss/sp and an 03 749 (well, 920) and they serve different purposes. the ss gets ridden 2-up, around town, and on scenic-type rides. the 749 sees track time and generally more aggressive riding. the ss is a much better street bike and for everyday use and the sbk is much more focused.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: (froggert)

set one up for track... leave the other for the street. Im prety darn
lazy when it comes to switching back and forth between street and
track - so having 2 bikes would be a better option.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: (ducati_atx)

Wow, all great comments! Thanks. Keep 'em coming!

Joe

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: (Joe B)

Put it this way: You know how Hugh Hefner has eight different girlfriends who all look pretty much alike? There must be a reason he keeps all of 'em!

I say go for it. But then, I have a hard time coming up with reasons NOT to buy another bike.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Phil is right, if you have two similar bikes one will be ignored. The key is to have a bike for every situation. That's the way to go !

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: (Joe B)

Buy a 2+2 MV1000 and turn the SS into a track bike. That's what I would do.

Personally, I'd like to either turn the 996 into a track bike and buy an S2R for around town ... or, keep the 996 in street trim and buy a ZX6RR for track days.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: (hubert)

It's your $$, do what you want with it. I am thinking the same thing, tracking my RC51, and getting a Monster for the street. Not a bad idea in my mind at all.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I rode 15K miles last year. Impossible to ride that many miles and not have a japanese back-up to the 999.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: (socal)

I luv the MV 1000 and that will be my next new bike, they are horntucker at it's best I reckon, I feel your SP will still provide you with all the entrrtainment as well, two very different animals eh.

MV1000 AGO or better still the Tamb !

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: (Monstaman)

I dont understand the question .. isnt 2 is always better than 1 when it comes to bikes?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: (MATTinMN)

And 3 is better than 2 and 4 is better than....
I consider my 750 Sport about 80% of my 900sp. So why do I keep it? (my better 1/2 asks that question several times a year) Well, it was my 1st duc. I like the style, love the red/silver color combo with the red frame and wheels it's a real looker, it's lighter than the 900sp and it's paid for! So yearly costs are reasonable. I'll keep it as long as I can afford to. And the Norton, well that's been around for 19 years so it's like a member of the family. I ride all three as much as possible but not as much as I'd like. I have no problem owning 3 bikes. Heck, I can think of 3 other bikes I'd love to have in my garage without even trying. The MV1000 is a stunning motorcycle but I'd have to win the lottery for that one.

Reality check: With 2 youngsters in tow family expenses are pretty stiff. At 9 & 11 college will be well in excess of 100k EACH
so it sometimes seems selfish for me to have 3 bikes but you don't have those worries so if you can swing it I say go for it. Like they say you only go around once.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You can never have too many bikes...just not possible.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: (Monstaman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Monstaman »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they are horntucker at it's best I reckon, </TD></TR></TABLE>

What the hell did you just say?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts