Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I said it I dont know how to safety wire:D

Anyone have a good source or can explain it to me?

I know the part about making sure if one screw loosens the other tightens which is impossible for them to do when safety wired(if that makes sense) sooooo someone clue me in I need my nuts and bolts to stay on the bike and I dont think loctite 242 is enough in some spots.

And do all the bolt heads need to be drilled?

I have safety wire .28 or so and have a pliers in the mail.

Thanks in advance and Im ready for abuse:D

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
excellent thanks fellas that exactly what I needed!:rockon

Desktopracing it dosent matter if its on an RC51, there damn cool in my book.

I wonder why he brought the ends to some other mounting point? just to keep the bolts there if the safey wire does break?

·
Registered
324 Posts
The idea is to keep the item from vibrating off the bike. In some cases you’ll need to anchor the bolt or fitting to something other than another bolt or fitting.

In his examples, there are a couple of instances where the safety-wire was redundant. Better safe than sorry. :twocents

Try to install the wire so that it is pulling the bolt or fitting righty-tighty.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Here's one hint from me. You will burn through TONS of drill bits. They get dull, or break all the time. Use lots of cutting oil to keep the bits cool. The cooler the bits; the longer, better the bits will cut. Still though, I was going through an average of 3 bits for ever 2 nuts. I lucked out, and found a set of 1/16" bits on Ebay. I found a set of 96 for like $15. So look into buying bits in bulk. If you buy them at a hardware store they can be over $1 each!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
good idea on the bits will 1/16" be good for .028 wire?

I guess its kind of an art to safety wire should be fun and frustrating just like owning a ducati:D

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
trussdude said:
Brett

You should have came over tonight. I wired my bike for WERA racing this weekend at Fontana.:rockon
Damnet:banghead

How was Vegas I didnt get an update? and how does that frickin beast ride?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Safety wiring is easy, I first learned on aircraft. You are right in the theory of safety wiring bolts next to each other to prevent rotation. For our race track out here they make you safety wire the following things,

1. Oil Filter, Large hoseclamp tightened and safety wire to some part on the engine I can't remember now
2. Oil Drain bolt, safety wire to a hole drilled into one of the cooling fins on the gear case.
3. Brake caliper bolts mounting bolts. Wired to each other.
4. Front wheel shaft fork pinch bolts. Wired to each other.
5. Oil filler cap, safety wire to a hole I drilled in rectifier heat shield.
6. Coolant resevoir cap on other bikes but I don't do this because it won't come off with the tank installed.
7. Oil metal mesh filter, safety wire to same hole as drain bolt.
I thinks thats about it as far as I can think of. Safety wiring is easy and you will get better the more you do it. Just don't make it to loose or to tight and you will fine.I would by extra drill bits cuz you will probably break a few. Have fun.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
You've gotten quite a bit of good advice, so I'll just throw in the following caution: the end of a piece of safety wire is perhaps the sharpest object known to mankind, and it has an insatiable and unerring appetite for human flesh! :woot:

I've been roadracing for 10 years, and I still rarely manage to safety wire something without drawing blood.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.