Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm sending my suspension off to Cogent Dynamics this week for a complete rebuild. Forks will be getting Cogent's 25mm cartridge kit, the rear Ohlins just going in for a full service and possible re-spring. Anyway to get the spring rates and preload setup accurately I need to provide them with an approximate bike weight. The problem is that I havent been able to find a shipping scale that is large enough and now the suspension has been removed so the bike is not going anywhere for a while. Here is a breakdown of my current setup:
2003 SP2
HRC wiring harness (no lights, relays, key, etc)
CBR600RR coil packs
Marchesini magnesium 5-Y wheels
Galfer rear wave rotor
Alth front rotors
Mori rear link
Thorsten carbon airbox
All pair and flapper parts removed
Lithium battery
Chopped subframe
Full sharkskinz
Yosh full system
Apex clip-ons
Stock tank w/vortex cap
Spal fans
520 gearing
Frame sliders
Scotts damper

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
Since you are running a "Mori rear link" don't forget to go UP 1 size heavier Spring for what You weight too..;)

Track only eh., 1 thing for SURE, You're dropping some good weight losing the Headlights too!

I'll throw out a "Guess" and say 420 +/- 10lbs maybe..?

Peace Jeff

·
Bemused
969 Posts
I had a somewhat similar setup, major differences being stock airbox, oem battery and wheels and no cooling fans. With half a tank of fuel the bike weighed 426 lbs.

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
You don't need a shipping scale to weight a bike. Find your local recycling center and toss the bike in the back of the truck and weigh it all, then pull the bike out and weigh the truck again. Or you can use a bathroom scale. Place it under the front and rear wheels sperately while holding the bike upright. Since we Americans are so damn fat, our scales regularly go up to 300lbs, which is plenty for one half the RC's weight.

Sorry that doesn't help you much in your present state.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I had a somewhat similar setup, major differences being stock airbox, oem battery and wheels and no cooling fans. With half a tank of fuel the bike weighed 426 lbs.
With this in mind, your setup should be roughly 15lbs lighter, depending on the battery. My MOTY battery weighs 1.4lbs and the airbox/snorkel saved 5-7lbs.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Just weighed my 06 since the track bike is torn apart, 427.2 lbs with a 3/4+ tank and oem plastics (so you WILL be lighter),

I will weigh again after I install:

track plastics (-12??)
600rr coils (-1)
Spal pushers (-1)
Shaved subframe (-1). or if i can close on this HRC 1pc tail I found
SP1 forks (-1)
New lighter tires (-1)
Hrc harness (-1)
Swap out heavy Corbin seat (-2!!! I weighed lol)
Clip-ons (-1)

FORGOT I have banzai peg adapters and the passenger rearsets installed when I weighed. (-1)

I'm hoping for another 15-25 lbs lighter.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
forgot to mention that I'm running CBR600 coil packs as well.

Poolboy, why would you want to switch to SP1 forks? The SP2's are supposedly the lighter of the two

·
Registered
2,728 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah, I remember that as part of their press release in making the overall bike 10 or so pounds lighter than the SP1. The majority of that was made up in the exhaust and wheels though.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
BTW Good call on Cogent, those guys are top notch. I saw Joyce out on a ride last weekend and she must have been talking about you when she said some forks were coming in. Their 25mm kit seems to really be a performer.

·
Registered
314 Posts
SP1 forks are lighter according to my bathroom scale I am a lb lighter holding the reworked SP1s compared to holding SP2 forks. They are also rumored to be the better performing according to what I've read scattered through the internet. If you think about it, when the RC was relevant all of them were running SP1 forks. Also the setting up is better, amd like AKDMA mentioned I can run some things that weren't made for SP2.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that's interesting. I've never heard that the SP1 forks were superior in any way. I wonder what someone like Dan Kyle might have to say on the subject. What was done to your SP1 forks?

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I've only read the setup stuff with mildly modified forks. With the setup you'll be running, which I saw is dyno proven superior to Ohlins R&T forks, I don't think you'll have a worry in the world, except where your adjusters are.

·
Registered
525 Posts
weight

Currently your bike doesn't weigh anything. Its not a butcher or a shipper is it? Im curious as to what the weight of my bike is too. I have done quite a bit of weight reduction and am working on more. I figure if I just plain remove the motor I can get her down under 200lbs. ;)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Granted all the information I've read is a couple years old and opinions/facts change/vary which makes it all unreliable, but I drew my own conclusion. I decided to give it a shot (w/o needing to call anyone :p), what's the worst that could happen? I don't like them and sell them.

The Forks have the full monty rework by DK with Ohlins internals, 1.0 springs, inner fork tubes are polished, etc.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.