Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Help! 2008 1098 won't start....

Ok guys need your words of wisdom here.

#1. My 08 1098 is having a starting problem, when I turn on the ignition, everything seems to be normal but the Engine Oil Pressure Light won't go away (sometimes EOBD light stays up as well). Then when I try to start the bike, it cranks and shut down immediately. Anyone know where the problem is? The battery is still good FYI.

#2. Before this Engine Oil Pressure Light issue, sometimes when I start the bike, the whole display shuts down and it throws a "SW 08" code on the screen. Then when I start the bike back up, seems like all data refreshes (eg. digital clock goes to 00:00 AM). Any pointers?

#1 being the (main) current issue. Any help would be nice. Thanks in advance.

Jimmy

·
Registered
750 Posts
Oil pressure light on when engine turned off: it's normal. When the engine doesn't run, there's no pressure so the light stays on.

How is your battery? you MUST have at least 12.5 volts. If not, you know the culprit.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oil pressure light on when engine turned off: it's normal. When the engine doesn't run, there's no pressure so the light stays on.

How is your battery? you MUST have at least 12.5 volts. If not, you know the culprit.
Thanks for the pointers on the Oil Pressure Light.

Last time I checked the battery has 11.5 volts. I will hook it up with battery tender and see what happens. Thanks.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Your battery has not enough cranking power to start the bike AND manage all the electric others stuff (injectors, lights if you have a US left commodo etc etc...).

Put it on a tender. If it occurs again, time to change it for a new one (a lithium would be a great improvment).

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your battery has not enough cranking power to start the bike AND manage all the electric others stuff (injectors, lights if you have a US left commodo etc etc...).

Put it on a tender. If it occurs again, time to change it for a new one (a lithium would be a great improvment).
Thanks for your input.

I put on a tender and let it charge for a couple of hours or so, and it starts right away, strangely before i fire the bike up, the battery says 11.9 volt. When I started the bike up, the battery jumped to 14.1 volt.

I started the bike a few more times and after probably the 6th time, the bike won't start. So I just let the battery tender doing its job again and try to fire it it up in a couple more hours.

So this might be a battery issue? Or you think is because of this recall I see it on other forum:

============================================================
Ducati 1098-1098S-1098 Tricolore-1098R-848 Recall
December 10th, 2008 at 8:45 am by Paul Crowe - "The Kneeslider"

Ducati has issued a recall for Ducati 1098 and 848 models for a charging system problem. Please read below for the specific models and details.

Manufacturer: Ducati
Models affected:
2007-2008 Ducati 1098
2007-2008 Ducati 1098 Tricolore
2008-2009 Ducati 1098R
2007-2008 Ducati 1098S
2008-2009 Ducati 848
NHTSA Campaign Number: 08V638000
Potential Units Affected: 7130
Problem: Ducati is recalling 7,130 model year 2007-2008 1098, 1098S, 1098 Tricolore, 1098R, and model year 2008-2009 848 motorcycles. The motorcycle charging system may be adversely affected by engine heat and stop operating. This results in damage to the voltage regulator and ensuing battery discharge. This can result in damage to the motorcycle and a potential hazard to the rider, increasing the risk of a crash.

Corrective Action: Dealers will replace the voltage regulator, install a heat guard between the voltage regulator and the engine exhaust system, and install a modified battery support. The recall is expected to begin during December 2008. Owners may contact Ducati at 1-800-231-6696.
============================================================

Do you have any oil in it?
I believe so, I will double check. Thanks!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
guys, after another 2 hours charging, my 1098 starts right away.

I would assume that that battery is not charging while the bike is idling or operating.

So is this the regulator problem or it needs a battery replacement? maybe the recall?

Thanks!

·
Registered
750 Posts
If the battery jumps to 14/14.5 volts when the bike is running, that's perfect: it means your charging system works.

I tend to believe your battery is shot.

It you start the bike several times consecutively without riding it, it will fxck the battery (especially if this one is on the weak side).

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Are you sitting on the seat when you try and start the bike? If so, it is sensing "no testicles", and won't crank, try having a male friend try it for you......:rolleyes:

Semper Fi!

-Rocky-

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the battery jumps to 14/14.5 volts when the bike is running, that's perfect: it means your charging system works.

I tend to believe your battery is shot.

It you start the bike several times consecutively without riding it, it will fxck the battery (especially if this one is on the weak side).
cool thanks for the info

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.