Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
This may take some discipline but after every race weekend I remove the cheekpads and crown pad from my little guy's lid and soak them in the same stuff my wife uses for her 'dedicates' - I think its called Forever New, or something. soak them overnight and hang to dry for a few days and when they go back in the lid- good as brand new. I don't know how well it will do for cigarette smoke (edit- whats a smart guy like you smoking for anyway! j/k) but maybe do a few washes one after the other to see if you can loosen the smoke smell. Hope that helps

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This may take some discipline but after every race weekend I remove the cheekpads and crown pad from my little guy's lid and soak them in the same stuff my wife uses for her 'dedicates' - I think its called Forever New, or something. soak them overnight and hang to dry for a few days and when they go back in the lid- good as brand new. I don't know how well it will do for cigarette smoke (edit- whats a smart guy like you smoking for anyway! j/k) but maybe do a few washes one after the other to see if you can loosen the smoke smell. Hope that helps
Thanks bud!

Actually, I don't smoke. It's for the helmet that came with the last bike I purchased. The guy said he only wore it 3 times and I believe him because it really does look new and still had the "Medium" sticker on it. lol. But it smells like he smokes Cigars and those things have a heavy smell.

I'll try your suggestion for sure.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I generously spray my helmet with Fabreeze after a race or track weekend, or about every 2nd street ride. Don't know if it cleans it so well but it sure smells better:)

·
Registered
516 Posts
See if you can find someone with an ionizer...

Not sure if I spelled it right, but i have one in my house and it electrically charges the air so it in a sense cleans it. Car dealers use it for cars that are smoked in.

Outside of that... soak it like the first reply, spray it and then if you can kill it... order new pads and go that route. :banghead

·
2,737 Posts
Just use some nice smelling detergent and soak the helmet with the hose, Then soap it up and massage it into the padding. Let it sit for an hour then hose the hell out of it to remove all the soap. Let 'er sit outdoors if possible for a couple days and it's as good as new for another 6 months.

·
I'll fix it.
2,249 Posts
this is gonna sound nuts, but trust me on this...

Antifungal athletes foot spray. It kills the fungus that causes the odors, altho you wont want to wear the helmet soon after application.

·
V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts
You want that new smell???

I dunk my skid lid in a bucket of warm water and mild laundry detergent soap...

I hand agitate the liner until all the sweat and oils are removed...

I fill and rise the inside of the helmet with warm water to remove all the soap...

I towel the inside to soak up the water and then let it air dry for 2 days out in the sun...

Just look at the dirty water now my funky skid lid smells new again...

·
Infrequent Visitor
1,996 Posts
In addition to the good info above (washing, Fabreeze, etc.) drop in a new dryer sheet inside the helmet when you put it away.

They really help raw out any funk smells so also put one on each boot, your leathers and even your gear bag. The little buggers work!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Motorex has a helmet cleaner. Just spray and work the foam into the lining. Then take a rag and wipe excess off. Works excellent!

·
He with the senior member
5,671 Posts
Water cannot harm the helmet.

Just do as many helmet manufacturer's suggest if the fabric pads/parts that touch the head aren't removable, simply soak the whole helmet in a tub of water with a mild soap/detergent. Work the fabric well with the mild soap, then rinse well, and let the hemet air dry for a couple of days.

Done.

·
Registered
221 Posts
remove liner and wash with the rest of your clothes. store with a box of baking soda or cedar chips inside.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts