Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the Vemar helmets? If so how did you like them. Seems like a good helmet for the race track, but I just wanted to get some inputs before I fork over the cash.

·
Anger managment patient
3,474 Posts
How much would you pay to avoid BRAIN damage. Sure some fo the top makers charge alot for a lid but they do the research to improve the desgns every year. One thing to consider is weight. not only does this cause fatige but it also ads to the inertial effect of your head wanting to continue in the forward direction. Hence devices such as the Hans device for other sports. You aren't going that far but it makes a solid argument that lite is a good thing. An interesting point was made during some of the latest tests. Plastic shells seemed to be very effective at absorbing impact but were failures in the test that checked the ability to protect while under load. Like the bike slamming you.:twocents
All safety things aside make sure the liner is removeable. Most newer are and this freshens the pads making a snug fit. My biggest complaint is wind noise (poorly fitting visor). I do use and HJC when not in my Shoei. That thing sucks. It howls at 45 mph. But was rated rather well in the collision test. If at all possible test one. Most dealers have a schedule of when the rep will be around. They do have demos which you could try. This is becoming more difficult since in our state you can't even return a helmet because of the health dept. regulations.
Good luck, keep the rubber side down.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have worn and crashed in high dollar helmets, and cheap helmets. So helmet wise I am a big believer in you get what you pay for. The Vemar is around $800.00. I've seen them sell on ebay for half of that price. Wind nose is no big deal sence I wear ear plug when racing. But for a expensive Helmet I would expect it to be prefect.

·
He with the senior member
5,671 Posts
If you haven't read the recent Motorcyclist helmet "expose" on the effects of the tough Snell certification in the USA - you absolutely MUST read this article first. It's quite an eye-opener! (How about a $75 DOT plastic helmet passing significantly LOWER G-force levels to the head in identical tests than any of the Snell certified helmets tested from some top manufacturers?

(NOTE: It's not the QUALITY of the helmets that's the problem - it's the test protocol or STANDARD that these helmets have to meet in the USA to meet the expectations of the US consumer, who see the Snell standard as the best available)

It's a very thought-provoking and worthwhile read, if you haven't read it already.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/hatz/

Apologies if this has been covered already here....

·
Registered
142 Posts
mike996 said:
I have worn and crashed in high dollar helmets, and cheap helmets. So helmet wise I am a big believer in you get what you pay for. The Vemar is around $800.00. I've seen them sell on ebay for half of that price. Wind nose is no big deal sence I wear ear plug when racing. But for a expensive Helmet I would expect it to be prefect.
I've worn a Vemar last year for trackdays/racing.........it was a good helmet, but I don't think it was anywhere near $800. I know they make a carbon fibre helmet that might be near that price - but that seems high going by memory. The Vemar was lightweight and vented well - but I wouldn't take it over a X-11 for example.

Talk to Todd/Jeff at Helmet Harbor (www.helmetharbor.com) the helmet I used was one of their test helmets and they wore them for quite a while and can give you more details.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Carbon Vemar was the one I was inquiring about.
Old Baldy. That was a great artical.
Thank everyone.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I got the carbon one from SportbikeTrackTime.com

It is a nice helmet - a great deal for the money. I have always worn Arai helmets the last 15 years.

This helmet fits me well, I have only worn it for 1 day (360 miles).

It is loud, I stopped and bought ear plugs and it was fine.

The shield closes tight and there is little air coming in - important to me since my contacts dry up with any breeze.

The breath guard is big - you have to readjust it every time you put the helmet on but it looks like it will do it's job (only rode with it on a warm sunny day).

The smoked shield is not as dark as I would like but sunglasses were comfortable.

I would buy another one - not at retail, but STT is selling them for $310!

eddie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts