Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You are the future of Hell For Leather | Hell for Leather

Apparently Hell for Leather is going subscription. They have great links and new product reviews, as well as several scoops on new bikes.

The thing is, I'm not sure this plan to turn to subscription will work for them. If you recall, motorcycle.com was free until 2003 or so and tried to go subscription content. Now they are back to free again.

With all the free content online (maybe a day later than HFL), I have no plans to subscribe even though it is cheap at $1.99/month.

We will see how this works out for them.

Comments?

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
its the internet...whatever they might be offering on there for a subscription price, i can find elsewhere for free within a couple of clicks.if the big news entities don't charge, HFL def shouldn't.
They should've tried going the way of advertising revenue instead , if they think they get so much traffic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You are the future of Hell For Leather | Hell for Leather

Apparently Hell for Leather is going subscription. They have great links and new product reviews, as well as several scoops on new bikes.

The thing is, I'm not sure this plan to turn to subscription will work for them. If you recall, motorcycle.com was free until 2003 or so and tried to go subscription content. Now they are back to free again.

With all the free content online (maybe a day later than HFL), I have no plans to subscribe even though it is cheap at $1.99/month.

We will see how this works out for them.

Comments?
Well, we're not Motorcycle.com, we pride ourselves on original content, not re-printed press releases. Check out the front page in, oh, about 8 minutes for an example of that.

What we're doing is putting a premium on premium content. If lowest common denominator journalism is fine for you, then great, there's plenty of it out there. If you'd like something better, this is how you get it. :)

Wes

·
Registered
143 Posts
Opening... Bookmarks...
Selecting... Manage Bookmarks...
Finding... "Hell for Leather"...
Deleting... "Hell for Leather"...
Selecting... Save and Apply...

Sadly, these days everywhere I turn I get hit with yet another small fee. I can't justify the death by a thousand cuts these days.

(After re-reading my post, I wanted to make it clear that I wasn't bad-mouthing Hell for Leather. I did actually enjoy the articles I read there... just like I enjoyed Roadracing World when I subscribed to that as well. I understand everyone needs to make a living, I simply can't justify the cost at this point in time.)

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
how fuucking cheap do you have to be to try and nickel and dime people out of 2 dollars a month? it doesnt work, it wont work. case closed.

that said, i like the site. goodluck. i will stick to reading the copy and pastes.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I also will no longer be checking the site and will not pay a fee.
I was never a fan of their editorial leanings anyway.

·
V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts
I charge phone solicitors... door solicitors... Mormons... Jehovah's Witnesses a $25 access fee to talk with me in person...

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Interesting. I gotta say, The Crusher has not persuaded me to give him $2/month. Good luck with that...

·
Currently: Moderating
12,576 Posts
Interesting. I gotta say, The Crusher has not persuaded me to give him $2/month. Good luck with that...
+1, wouldn't give this clown $0.02, not to mention $2.00. Their content will be copied and pasted all over the Internet for free anyway.:woot:

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This will actually be a good test to see if this works for them. HFL has probably the best content of any single motorcycle website. The only thing it doesn't have a racing results and commentary, but those are available many other places.

So the thing is, if HFL cannot make paid subscriptions work, what site can?

The other thing to keep in mind is most people's interaction with the site will completely change. Before, many clicks were directed to HFLfor the articles. Even little old Speedzilla was probably responsible for a few hundred clicks per day to the site. But that will immediately vanish, so any subscription has to offset potential pay-per-click type advertising revenue.

While I doubt he would willingly do it, I hope Siler will keep us informed periodically at how the site is doing with the new model. It is priced reasonably, and the content of the site is good. If they are not able to make a go of it, it is probably more because paid subscriptions on the internet simply does not work rather than a case of the site being inferior.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
For myself I am all about subscribing to a top quality website if it gets rid of all the advertising banners and, most annoyingly, advertising sound bytes kicking on. I have subscribed to a couple and I have been satisfied to date: but the moment they put in a single advertisement they won't see a penny anymore from me. ;)

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
I wouldn't pay a nickle.

HFL rides hipsters, not motorcycles.
Damn! Beat the old man to it! :banghead

Semper Fi! :rockon

-Rocky-

1 - 17 of 17 Posts