Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helimot H20 Gloves

Just picked these up today... Helimot offers custom sizing and a wide array of colors.

I went with the Chris Siglin Replica.

Siglin in action... On his way to another AFM win.

Modified by 900CR at 8:43 PM 6/30/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Helimot H20 Kanagroo Gloves (900CR)

Nice. But they seem like your hands would get very hot, not to mention smelly!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Helimot H20 Kanagroo Gloves (socal)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by socal »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nice. But they seem like your hands would get very hot, not to mention smelly!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, by all acounts, they breath exceptionally well. These are really designed for track protection vs. a perforated cruiser or sport glove. Problem with venting is that it allows the glove to peel and tear pretty quickly at impact.

Mizdal had a pair of Joe Rockets that literally exploded at Laguna Seca earlier this year.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Helimot H20 Kanagroo Gloves (900CR)

How are they getting around the law in Calif. prohibiting the importing of roo skins?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Helimot H20 Kanagroo Gloves (Ducman851)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ducman851 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How are they getting around the law in Calif. prohibiting the importing of roo skins? </TD></TR></TABLE>
I was just wondering the same thing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Helimot H20 Kanagroo Gloves (stk0308)

Gents:

If memory serves, Helimot was the sole US distributor for Held kangaroo gloves up until about a year ago... If anyone knows the laws regarding animal skins, it's them.

There was another post somewhere on this site that explained the whole thing, and IIRC debunked the claims one vendor was making with regard to the subject.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

If you read what is below, it sure sounds illegal. Its straight from the Cal Penal Code.

SECTION 1. Section 653o of the Penal Code is amended to read:
653o. (a) It is unlawful to import into this state for commercial
purposes, to possess with intent to sell, or to sell within the
state, the dead body, or any part or product thereof, of any
alligator, crocodile, polar bear, leopard, ocelot, tiger, cheetah,
jaguar, sable antelope, wolf ( Canis lupus), zebra, whale, cobra,
python, sea turtle, colobus monkey, kangaroo, vicuna, sea otter,
free-roaming feral horse, dolphin or porpoise (Delphinidae), Spanish
lynx, or elephant. (b) For purposes of this section, "kangaroo"
means those species of kangaroo that are included under any of the
following: (1) The federal Endangered Species Act of 1973 (16 U.S.C. Sec.
1531 et. seq.). (2) The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of
Wild Fauna and Flora.
(c) Any person who violates any provision of
this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be subject to a
fine of not less than one thousand dollars ($1,000) and not to exceed
five thousand dollars ($5,000) or imprisonment in the county jail
for not to exceed six months, or both such fine and imprisonment, for
each violation.

(b)
(d) The prohibitions against importation for
commercial purposes, possession with intent to sell, and sale of the
species listed in this section are severable. A finding of the
invalidity of any one or more prohibitions shall not affect the
validity of any remaining prohibitions.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Those kangaroo gloves can become smelly, but can easily be washed (warshed!); they last longer than cowhide, and after washing, become smooth again. The only downside is the lack of some harder carbon fiber on the fingers, and backhand, which can prevent some damage to your hand hitting the track after a lowside, or the long slide from track to the dirt in a lowside. Happened to on my Alpinestars GP Plus, and the hard carbon protected nicely. I'm still able to sternly backhand my coworkers and yell "You fool!" when they give me a memo with spelling errors or a spreadsheet with a coffee stain...
biznitch

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ducman851 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> (b) For purposes of this section, "kangaroo"
1531 et. seq.). (2) The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora. </TD></TR></TABLE>
This is the important verbage. Judging just from this I would say all they need to do is show the kangaroo skin comes from a species not in either of those documents.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Helimot H20 Gloves (drthompson65)

I don't see "giant bouncing opossum" on that list of banned critters.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 996miami »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Those kangaroo gloves can become smelly, but can easily be washed (warshed!); they last longer than cowhide, and after washing, become smooth again. The only downside is the lack of some harder carbon fiber on the fingers, and backhand, which can prevent some damage to your hand hitting the track after a lowside, or the long slide from track to the dirt in a lowside. </TD></TR></TABLE>I doubt anyone can improve much on the Held Galaxy glove. Giant bouncing opossum hide, carbon knuckle protectors and palm rivets for scratchin the gas tank. Helimot does make some nice stuff, though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stk0308 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is the important verbage. Judging just from this I would say all they need to do is show the kangaroo skin comes from a species not in either of those documents.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My thoughts exactly. There are literally dozens of kangaroo varieties. Some are endangered and protected......BUT some of the more plentiful species are not.

BTW, I have gone through two pairs of Held 'roo skins and highly recommend them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Im not saying what they are doing is wrong. Id love the see roo skin gloves and leathers but I do live in Cal and have seen and heard on more than one occasion that roo leathers cant be purchased here. You can however get someone to send them to you.

Either way Im still happy with the NJK set I just had made.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: (Ducman851)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ducman851 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey Im not saying what they are doing is wrong. Id love the see roo skin gloves and leathers but I do live in Cal and have seen and heard on more than one occasion that roo leathers cant be purchased here. You can however get someone to send them to you.
Either way Im still happy with the NJK set I just had made.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hey then what are you saying. california, land of fruits and nuts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (oneducs)

I've got a pair and would concur w/900cr that the gloves are awesome. I must have half a dozen pairs of gloves and the Helimot's are the most comfortable. (with the Kushitanis a close second)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: (oneducs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oneducs »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

hey then what are you saying. california, land of fruits and nuts.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Who gives a crap about what the law says. These gloves are great. I've had mine for about 9 months and they are incredible; great feel, outstanding construction.

As for the comparison with Helds - these are far and away better constructed. With a lot of the Held line, there's exposed thread in the seam between the thumb and forefinger. That exposed thread gets quickly abraded in a crash and opens rightup. Ask Sam Cece what injury he got when his BST wheel collapsed at 120 at Thunderhill last November - his Helds opened right up at that seam.

I've got pictures somewhere and will post them when I get home.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (Ducman851)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ducman851 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey Im not saying what they are doing is wrong. Id love the see roo skin gloves and leathers but I do live in Cal and have seen and heard on more than one occasion that roo leathers cant be purchased here. </TD></TR></TABLE>

With all respect, it did sound that way... Saying "how did they get around the law" would seem to imply some wrongdoing.

The law was changed to include importation in California of products made from those species of kangaroo that are not designated as threatened or endangered under the Federal Endangered Species Act or the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora.

VIVA! sued Adidas a couple years ago as a publicity stunt. Court ruled that the FESA superceded the California law. California law makers have since changed the law to reflect the courts ruling, as the Australian government has a variety of controls in place to prevent the harvesting and exportation of any of the 5 endangered species of kangaroo, none of which reside on the Australian mainland.

The ammendment added the clause stk0308 mentioned earlier:

(b) For purposes of this section, "kangaroo"
1531 et. seq.). (2) The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora.

This issue has been hashed, rehashed and gone over more times that having a bad clutch slave cylinder on a 1997 748

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: (900CR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 900CR »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This issue has been hashed, rehashed and gone over more times that having a bad clutch slave cylinder on a 1997 748
</TD></TR></TABLE>

...or the same on an '03 999!

Besides, on the Discovery Channel those hoppity hopps appeared to be rather obnoxious!! I say turn 'em all into gloves and MotoGP Suits!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts