Speedzilla Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Re: Heat Stroke Is No Joke! (hbliam)

the point, no matter what one is doing, is about PRE- hydration. you must have either competent or overload of hydration to maintain physical reality. Rides, races, i'm a rock star sex.....
make sure you have preloaded you physical body....must of us that don't and have entered a place where we should have, just feel crappy,.....after that little threshhold....you throw up and get worse.....and possibly need hospitaliization. you spend money and time on you your bikes.....don't forget you !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Re: Heat Stroke Is No Joke! (section8superbike)

Hey Jason,

I've got the same problem. And racing at Willow 6 or so months per year with the temps above or WELL ABOVE 90 was a problem. A cyclist turned me on to CytoMax. That stuff is awesome. For a race weekend, I'd get 4 gallons of water and mix in CytoMax and Gatorade powders in the jugs. I recall we mixed the cyto max at 1/4 or 1/6 of their recommended strength and then the Gatorade at 1/2 strength. This is the only thing that worked for me.

The first time I had a problem, I drank a gallon of water from 9am to noon and was in your condition. Gatorade just made me sick. Now, whenever I trail ride or street ride in that kind of heat, I wear a camelpack with the cyto/gatorade mix in it.

Heat stress is nasty ... and like you said, no joke.

Chris

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by section8superbike »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had a private test day at Grattan on Thursday with our rider and a couple of other guys.

It was 90+ deg out and I was pounding water all day, and I mean pounding. I didn't get much sleep the night before and thought thatw as the reason I felt poopie (yeah, I said poopie) all day. I got off of the track when I started making mistakes.

On the way home I felt like throwing up, diconected from reality, etc. When I got home about 8:00 I ate and went right to bed. I woke up at 7:00 the next morning and felt beat up kind of poopie, etc still. I pounded more water and headed off for the store. On the way up to the store I threw up a few times and turned arround and went home. I slept from 11:00AM all the way untill this morning except for getting up to eat a few times.

I still feel like death warmed over!

So whats my point you ask? Well, drink LOTS! of water and pay attention to what is going on with your body. I think I could have realy screwed myself up without even knowing untill it was too late.</TD></TR></TABLE>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I work out of doors and am very carefull,did not mater last summer,I got court out,ended
up with heat exhaustion,went to the Doc and had a blood count,I only had 20% Kidney
function,it came good in the next couple of days,I did not feel that bad and tried to solder on,its a real wake up,THIS CAN KILL and permanently disable you.My problem was the Blood Pressure medicalion I take is a diaretic and coupled with hard work and over 105 temps I got below the level required .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Re: Heat Stroke Is No Joke! (section8superbike)

I work for an EMS service in Florida, and even our protocols on people overheating say nothing of water, just Gator or Powerade.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Re: Heat Stroke Is No Joke! (superduc21)

I always dilute gatorade with water - mainly because it tastes nasty...

Cytomax is a better option and it tastes good & even comes in 'normal' flavors. Potassium pills also help when it gets really hot.

I once was hospitalized for dehydration from the flu... not fun.

If you have a headache - you are already dehydrated to the point you need to stop riding and take care of yourself... If you still ignore the warning signs, you are probably not really able to deal with it by yourself and you WILL be in trouble.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Re: Heat Stroke Is No Joke! (hank)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hank »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...Cytomax is a better option and it tastes good & even comes in 'normal' flavors. Potassium pills also help when it gets really hot. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Cytomax is Gatoraid with more sugar. If you're sitting on a motorcycle, sweating like heck, all you need is water. If you're working in high temps, doing hard manual labor like digging holes, and you're sweating like heck, then after a while you might need some carbs with the water.

Most of us get enough "electrolytes" in our foods. And hopefully we take a high quality, high potency, balanced, multi-vitamin/multi-mineral supplement every day. If you suffer electrolyte depleation riding a motorcycle in hot weather it might be your diet.

But drink whatever floats your boat.

Modified by DanST4 at 5:37 PM 7/18/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Re: Heat Stroke Is No Joke! (DanST4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DanST4 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Cytomax is Gatoraid with sugar. If you're sitting on a motorcycle, sweating like heck, all you need is water. If you're working in high temps, doing hard manual labor like digging holes, and you're sweating like heck, then after a while you might need some carbs with the water.

I think most of us get enough "electrolytes" in our foods. But drink whatever floats your boat.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hi Dan,

Plain water wasn't enough for me. Your advice would have killed me.

Best,
Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The medical teams on the 3-Day Breast Cancer walks always recommnede water & gatorade, either mixed 50/50 or water at one stop followed by gatorade at the next; but not just one or the other.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Re: Heat Stroke Is No Joke! (hank)

Ok that sounds bad but I tell you now NEVER ride a motorcyle anywhere near Lake havesue (az ca border). We were there this weekend. it reached 125 degrees both days. I figured with my leathers on that would have been enough to cook my internal organs. Not to mention that it felt like we were driving through an oven... I want to say if we weren't near a body of water (which we proceeded to JUMP IN) we would have surely died. Always check your fluids and i'm getting one of those camel backs for long trips now!!!
chris-

G

·
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Re: Heat Stroke Is No Joke! (spacemonkey)

Very timely topic... back-to-back track days coming up Mon & Tues. Normally I down a 16/20 oz water between sessions. Temps have been unusally high, in the mid 90s with stifling humidity so I'll start hydrating early and bring along a supplement.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Re: Heat Stroke Is No Joke! (duc97sp1)

Chris is right. Some of us need an eletrolyte replacement like Gatorade. It's not just the sodium, it's also potassium. Some people sweat more than others, some people lose more electrolytes than others, some people need an electrolyte replacement. Others don't. The trick is to figure out which sort you are. Generally, if you drink a lot of water and either it doesn't help or it feels like your stomach just fills up without absorbing the water, then you need gatorade. Those of you that don't need it, good on ya. Just don't assume that what works for you is true for everyone else in every other situation.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Re: Heat Stroke Is No Joke! (duc97sp1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by duc97sp1 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Very timely topic... back-to-back track days coming up Mon & Tues. Normally I down a 16/20 oz water between sessions. Temps have been unusally high, in the mid 90s with stifling humidity so I'll start hydrating early and bring along a supplement.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'll be there both days too....
Steve "theRIDE.tv"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Ive been dehydrated before, to the point of throwing up and total body fallout.. Um, it sucked!
Gotta drink that water or sport drinks, just sucks walking to the damn bathroom in leathers before and after every session.. I need me a scooter. Haha.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #35 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by superduc21 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I work for an EMS service in Florida, and even our protocols on people overheating say nothing of water, just Gator or Powerade. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah.. Dan's full of shit. Wonder why I know? 'Cause 90% of the tracks in Kali are in the desert, and it's at least 103+ degrees every time we go out from June through September... meaning the on track temps can get as high as 120+. If all you drink is water, you will be f*cked. Period.

If you go drinking the night before, 'cause a beer/margarita tastes so good when it's hot, you're double f*cked. Even just one. People seem to forget about this and can't for the life of them understand why they feel like crap... you can feel the effects of alcohol for at least 48 hours after the fact when extreme heat is involved.

Propel, Gatorade, Powerade and the variety of mixes available should be in your system for at least 2 days prior to going out. We also use ice cold towels stored in coolers and use them to cool the core in between each session. Nothing we've found works better.

You'll know when you're in trouble when you stop urinating. Stop everything, and get cool/hydrated immediately.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Re: Heat Stroke Is No Joke! (900CR)

48 hours. bottle to throttle as the pilots say.

If you're hydrated properly you should be getting up in the middle of sleeping to piss, and drink again.

If you ever do get dehydrated badly the smartest place to be is in a hospital, and on a drip. You can't drink enough to get back on top.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 900CR »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If you go drinking the night before, 'cause a beer/margarita tastes so good when it's hot, you're double f*cked. Even just one. People seem to forget about this and can't for the life of them understand why they feel like crap... you can feel the effects of alcohol for at least 48 hours after the fact when extreme heat is involved.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #37 ·

I had heat stroke at the track once. Same thing, nausea, feeling of otherworldliness, also some tunnel vision and slight lack of coordination. Not good when going around the track. Luckily I recognized it and came in, drank water and laid down for about 1/2 hour and I was good to go.

Now, before any event I drink water until I pee very light yellow (yes I said pee), then drink a little more water.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Re: Heat Stroke Is No Joke! (900CR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 900CR »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah.. Dan's full of shit. Wonder why I know? 'Cause 90% of the tracks in Kali are in the desert, and it's at least 103+ degrees every time we go out from June through September... meaning the on track temps can get as high as 120+. If all you drink is water, you will be f*cked. Period.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

103? 120? Dude, it must be nice to be in nor*cal.

Edit: that's from Willow in June or July a couple years back.
Edit 2: note that ambient is only 107. There have been many months when ambient was 115+. Basically, you'd ride, hydrate, sleep, hydrate, pee, ride, repeat.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.