Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a private test day at Grattan on Thursday with our rider and a couple of other guys.

It was 90+ deg out and I was pounding water all day, and I mean pounding. I didn't get much sleep the night before and thought thatw as the reason I felt poopie (yeah, I said poopie) all day. I got off of the track when I started making mistakes.

On the way home I felt like throwing up, diconected from reality, etc. When I got home about 8:00 I ate and went right to bed. I woke up at 7:00 the next morning and felt beat up kind of poopie, etc still. I pounded more water and headed off for the store. On the way up to the store I threw up a few times and turned arround and went home. I slept from 11:00AM all the way untill this morning except for getting up to eat a few times.

I still feel like death warmed over!

So whats my point you ask? Well, drink LOTS! of water and pay attention to what is going on with your body. I think I could have realy screwed myself up without even knowing untill it was too late.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Heat Stroke Is No Joke! (section8superbike)

I'd say you had heat exhaustion, definitely. If you had heat stroke you'd be in the hospital right now.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Heat Stroke Is No Joke! (TnDuc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TnDuc »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd say you had heat exhaustion, definitely. If you had heat stroke you'd be in the hospital right now.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe I should be
I can even seem to type my hands are so screwed up this morning.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Althopugh you indeed did do the right thing by drinking plenty of water, and you know what they say about hindsight...I'd only suggest this: Eat also before you get hungry, and drink an electrolyte replacement. No, not Red Bull. Gatorade really does work. Or another energy drink mix. I have to assume you had overhead shade, and took every opportunity to get out of the sun when possible. You're right, it's serious stuff, and no fun. Glad your OK

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Heat Stroke Is No Joke! (Sogno)

Jason,

You gotta take it easy. Didn't Mozart die from exhaustion? That's serious stuff. health first. Business later. You are fortunate enough to have competent staff to back you up. (everyone except for Jake, that is.
)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Sounds like you have it under control now...... My uncle got it so bad one time he was unable to move at all, had to be hospitalized a few days...... nothing to play around with for sure. Now that your doing better whats up with my parts
kidding man take care of yourself!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Heat Stroke Is No Joke! (bruntr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bruntr »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like you have it under control now...... My uncle got it so bad one time he was unable to move at all, had to be hospitalized a few days...... nothing to play around with for sure. Now that your doing better whats up with my parts
kidding man take care of yourself!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I just sent you an email a couple of minutes ago

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had something similar last year, in a tuned car show at MagnyCours race track.
I've had the skin of the face totally burnt!, and a frontal oedema. Sun and heat can be very dangerous....we should be very carefull and drink a lot of water, even if we are not thirsty.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Damn, that sucks. Every time I turn around I hear another story about problems related to heat at the track. Glad you're ok.

Just in time for tomorrow's track day at Autobahn ........ supposed to be 95 deg. and humid.

Gotta go drown myself in water and Gatorade .........

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Heat Stroke Is No Joke! (JamesP)

I second the gatorade. It's the electrolytes that need replacing from all that sweat. Or maybe you are just getting old

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gatorade is good...but not straight or all at once cause it's electrolyte content is too concentrated. and for days like you had, you need to start hydrating 48hrs in advance!!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by foggy123 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">,,,It's the electrolytes that need replacing from all that sweat.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The average American gets 10 times the minimum amount of sodium recommended in the RDA handbook. Sodium is the main electrolyte your body needs and you get plenty of it on and in your food. You don't need more in the form of Gatoraide or any of those other designer waters.

Sweat may taste salty, but it's a lot less salty that you are. At the end of a marathon, runners have lost much more water than electrolytes. The human body conserves its electrolytes. When you get dehydrated you're in electrolyte overload. You need water not electrolytes. Gatoraide is marketing BS.

Giving athletes (or workers or racers) salt tablets or salty drinks on a hot day is a great way to make them sick.

Distilled water is all you need.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Heat Stroke Is No Joke! (DanST4)

Dan your right, however it is possible for one to drink to much water and sweat all electrolytes out of the body. This can cause death.

Just about every year someone at the Grand Canyon dies from too much water.

Hard to beleive but true.

Its a fine line, I would say drink one bottle of Gatorade for every four bottles of water.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Heat Stroke Is No Joke! (brettmess24)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brettmess24 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dan your right, however it is possible for one to drink to much water and sweat all electrolytes out of the body. This can cause death.

Just about every year someone at the Grand Canyon dies from too much water.

Hard to beleive but true.

Its a fine line, I would say drink one bottle of Gatorade for every four bottles of water.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

And what was the cause of death? It's easier to die from too little water than too much. You need two electrolytes in your body. One is sodium and the other is potassium. Losing the potassium is very deadly. Both have to do with your heart and it's ability to beat continually without causing an arrhythmia. Has to do with cellular exchange and all that technical crap. The last thing you ever want to do is to sweat out your avaiable supply of water. You can go for a week without food but only three or four days without water. Just don't overload on the Gatorade my

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Heat Stroke Is No Joke! (Sharp 999S)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sharp 999S »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

And what was the cause of death? It's easier to die from too little water than too much. You need two electrolytes in your body. One is sodium and the other is potassium. Losing the potassium is very deadly. Both have to do with your heart and it's ability to beat continually without causing an arrhythmia. Has to do with cellular exchange and all that technical crap. The last thing you ever want to do is to sweat out your avaiable supply of water. You can go for a week without food but only three or four days without water. Just don't overload on the Gatorade my
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sodium

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All this talk about heat has me sweating bullets about a ride I'm taking next week, to the BMWMOA National in Lima, Ohio. I ride in full leathers no matter what the temp. If it's too hot to ride with all my equipment - it's too hot to ride.

Anyway, the forecast for my departure day is 97F. I'll be leaving super early, drinking water, I'll have every vent open on the leathers and helmet, and I'll be looking for a motel with a pool when it get too hot to ride. Pools are a great way to avoid heat exhaustion.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Youll be fine, pic up a camelback
and most of all have fun

oh yeah and did I say its been 114 + every day here in Phoenix

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Has anyone used Alpinestars new cool tops and bottoms(the ones that are supposed to keep you cool
)

I think I saw them in one of my MC mags, wonder if they help

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I picked up a cooling vest, the one that holds close to a gallon of water and releases it slowly to keep you cool through evaporation. $30. I'll be testing it next week. My Vanson is perforated and has intake and exhaust vents.

http://www.soundrider.com/May0...t.htm

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

The other thing to keep in mind is that you need to hydrate yourself days before an event where you know you will be losing water. You can't be in so so hydration and show up pounding water and not expect to get beat down. Drink lots of water for several days before your next track day and follow the other advice concerning gatorade and you'll have a much better day.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts