Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Friday a buddy and I are heading to the Adirondack mountains from Baltimore. I will be on my 51 and he will be on a GSX-R 750.

We are leaving Friday morning and getting home Sunday night. Just picked up a new Oxford tank bag and North face back pack. Trying to keep the load as light as possible.

Just wondering if any locals can suggest some good routes, good place to stay, or any sights we need to hit when we are up there????

I will be taking plenty of pics!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (eppy01f4i)

I have been there 5 years in a row back in the late 80's on my Electra Glide for Americade. Might I suggest you stay (base) in a town called Lake George. Plenty of hotels, and great food. Every stinking road out of that town is awesome. It is beautiful up there. The northway (I87) will take you to any back roads which are all excellent. Get a good map. Up 87 a ways there is an awesome gorge to hike thru or boat thru. Worth the trip. The mosquitos are big. Will attack you at any rest area. You will also see what the acid rain is doing on your travels up there. Have a great time!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (Mike0251)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mike0251 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> You will also see what the acid rain is doing on your travels up there. Have a great time!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ewwww that sucks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lake George is a great area but it's not really in the Adirondacks.If you make it to Lake Placid(that's the name of a town),home of two winter olympics and where my parents are from,the Golden Arrow hotel is in the middle of town with Mirror lake out the back door.
Try to go and ride the summer bobsleds(on wheels) at the olympic bobsled track,they are a RUSH!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (Coydog)

Yeah I went to Placid too. That ski jump is so freaking high in the sky you can't believe it. We went to Vermont too and did the bob sled w/wheel thing too. My buddy flew out of one of the high speed walls and broke 2 ribs! I can't believe they don't make you wear a helmet for those. I kepy my leathers on though. Great roads.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (Mike0251)

Thanks guys!! Keep the tips coming!

Mike you going to be at VIR the end of Aug. ??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (eppy01f4i)

Yes! I am all signed up for North and Full. Kurt-gsxr, Mike-zrx, and Mike-duc are signed up as well. Full crew. Ought to be great. Enjoy yourself up in the Adirondacks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eppy,

Ive riden from NOVA to Montreal 4 times now on my VFR for the F1 races every June. Ive done a few routes but my favorite is:

RT 15 north in PA near Milton take 180 to RT220 north towards NY state.
Once you hit NY state take 17 towards Binghamton NY. Once you hit Binghampton take 81 north for a few miles and hit RT12 towards Utica NY. Stay on RT12 and you will see RT28 take RT 28 north. Take RT 30 north to RT 3 east.

Its a nice route with some good eats on the way. Plenty of gas stops for your RC (my buddy did it on a SV650 with no close gas calls). All in that area are good roads. Nothing too tight but nice flowing high speed sweepers.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Lake Placid. Its the highest hotel in the area so the views are great. Parking is good and safe (still bring your disc lock). They have a decent bar in the hotel if you like a brew or eight.

If you are in the NOVA area give me a call. I have a portable GPS that might mount up on the RC or at least in you tank bag map pocket. I have PA, VA, NY state on separate media cards.

ian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have never done it on a bike...BUT! A couple years ago, I took a drive with my Dad from St. Johnsville NY up into the Adirondacks...the roads looked AWESOME! Lots of fast sweepers and plenty of twisty roads that actually looked to be in really good shape...I think you will have fun, I kept thinking this would be really fun on a Superhawk...( I had not experinced teh 51 yet...)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts