Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course I have the Ducati head nut tool, but I have a customer in Austrailia who needs one. The Ducati one is way to expensive, so I am wondering what some of you have used/rigged up to torque the heads on a Desmoquatro? I would like to get this guy a less expensive alternative .....

thanks

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Head Nut Tool (section8superbike)

i have seen one somewhere which is wood with two screws through it to mimic the ducati tool, will search around for a photo of it. might even be in the haynes manual?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

its amazing how i take photos for a living but cant seem to ever post them correctly on speedzilla!
jason, i have some jpgs for you on how to make the tool? i will email you.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I know that this isn't for the 4 valve Desmoquatro, but maybe someone else can be helped by this. I created this tool to use on the head nuts on the 2 valve 944 engine.

I just got the correct wrench, and brazed a socket into the claw end.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Head Nut Tool (BlackHawk)

Snap-On!!! tool#frdhm15 torque adapter. I just got two at $26. each.Were on back order though for about 3 months

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Head Nut Tool (georgeb)

George,

You stole my idea ...

I've grabbed two 15mm ring/open-end spanners, weld the open-ends overlapping, heat bend the ring ends towards each other, until they're square & parrallel, then weld a 17mm socket, drive up, onto one outside end, grind to suit ... voala ...

I think I remember the ofset being about 160mm to get round a 4V head

I'll chuck a picture up when i take one ...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Head Nut Tool (georgeb)

well cool georgeb...you musta been born in New Zealand

...ouwh wait, there is no No 8 wire or block of wood ..wrong tool

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Cost me about $5 in used tools from the pawn shop....... for the limited usage I need, it works fine....... YMMV

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TK that ROCKS! Consider it stollen! (the idea that is)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I got mine from Snap-on of course I needed to grind it down to fit but if I remember correctly because of the short length you will not have to re-calculate torque value

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog...store

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Here's another spin on the head wrench along with the rocker shaft puller tool also.
As far as the head wrench goes, keeping the torque wrench 90 degrees to the head wrench eliminates any math or conversions to the torque wrench setting.
He's making a batch now and is reasonable.

Click below!

http://arch.home.texas.net/rich/pics.html

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Head Nut Tool (Hyperpasta)

(Beavis voice) you said....Head....Nut....Tool...uhahahaha

Congrats Jason....I think that is a record!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I thought about just having the head wrench made, but decided to buy the USAG head wrench tool just to be on the safe side. I use a 5lb dent puller w/ a M5 bolt to pull/remove rocker pins. Its easy, cheap and you can use it for other things. Yesterday I used it to pull out the sprag gear housing thats pressed into the factory flywheel. Love this tool.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts