Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i already did a search but what suspention mods ca i make to the hawk? I've heard the 900rr rear shock will fit but what mods for the front? Do you do anything to the 900rr shock? Any input would be very appreciated. I would like to put a set of inverted forks on it. Thanks guys

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: hawk suspention mods (bustedrc)

Buster,

Bro.... What up?? If you just looking at doing some general street riding you can get away with some simple stuff on the front end. You can go with a good set of racetech/ohlins straight rate springs, or for a more plush ride that will still be better than stock some people go with "progressive" springs. You can also go with a heavier weight oil if you using are staying with the sock dampening rod. A racetech emulator is a nice option, I've used them on several race bikes and they are easy to install and adjust.

As for the CBR900 Shock, it is a bolt in deal for the most part. Some shock need a little thinning at the top yoke, no big deal. If you have access to a machine shop its a breeze. Some will raise the rear ride height and you need to make the appropriate changes in front ride height.

If you have any more questions just let me know....

Jamie Ray...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: hawk suspention mods (headdog122)

i heard the 900rr shock is not better than stock. the real good mod is a Fox rear.....you will not be dissapointed with it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: hawk suspention mods (duc_748)

The CBR900 rear shock is not the end all answer to solving any suspension whows.... but it does provide compression and rebound dampening, two things with the stock "pogo stick" (rear shock) can't offer.
For a guy riding on the street, spending $50 on a 900 shock is a vast improvement over stock. The Fox twin clicker is a great shock, I've had them on several race/trackbikes..... Thanks for the input though..... :)

BTW...... How do ya like that Duc.....??? Bro.....

Jamie.......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

the hawk was my poor mans ducati. The 748 is sooooo fun! It was my dream bike for along time and i finally scored a new one the last year of production, 2002. I cant tell you how fun the 748 is! I run mostly on the track now, since its the most fun you will ever have on a motorcycle. Just hit around 9k on 748 last track day, and its running very strong. FIY I am in the process of selling hawk to a nice guy in OR. who contacted me through zilla. It was a difficult discission to sell the hawk, but it was killing me to see it sit in the garage unridden....A hawk is too cool of bike to hoard in your garage when someone else could be riding the hell out of it! and i still say save your $ and buy a FOX rear shock!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Unfortunately Fox shocks are no longer available, they aren't in the MC business anymore, preferring to concentrate on ATV's and bicycles and whatnot. Unless you find a new one sitting in stock at a dealer somewhere, (unlikely) or get a used one, the alternative is to step down a bit to a Progressive ($350, and still good) or up to a Penske. ($700, best) Everybody knows I am no fan of the 900RR mod, but I recently had reasonable luck setting one up with some heavier fluid. Problem is, by the time you buy the shock, then have the work done to mill the clevis, fit a spring and spacer, plus install the new fluid, you might as well go with a Progressive unless you do the work yourself. If $$ aren't that tight then I think Penske is the way to go.

Up front, either RT springs and 15wt-17.5wt fluid plus proper preload spacers, or the RT springs and Emulators are the way to go. The Progressive springs are a bit soft unless you are very light. I have a package deal, $350 gets you RT springs, Emulators, fluid, seals and everything installed and ready to bolt back on. That suits the needs of 85% of Hawk riders quite well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Duc,

Thanks for the confirmation... I often find myself lookin at bank statements and wondering if I'm as poor as I think. But since I own a Hawk, I must be broke.
I also own a 260z, which is a poor man's Porsche. I must be broke as hell.....
he,he,he......

No.. Seriously, there is no doubt that the Fox would be a good cheap alternative for the Hawk. Hord I spoke with Shane from the MC department at FOX SHOX last week to order a rebuild kit. He said they still had several select units on the shelf, but no CB-1 or Hawk shocks to be had.

Jamie.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

works performance makes shocks also but the range 589-679

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by headdog122 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Duc,

No.. Seriously, there is no doubt that the Fox would be a good cheap alternative for the Hawk. Hord I spoke with Shane from the MC department at FOX SHOX last week to order a rebuild kit. He said they still had several select units on the shelf, but no CB-1 or Hawk shocks to be had.

Jamie.....
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I got the last batch they made, and I pretty much had to throw a fit just to get those

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: hawk suspention mods (jhord)

If you can find a used Fox Twin clicker, FOX will completely refirbish it for about $160. I had mine done this winter. It take about 3 weeks to turn it around.

I found out later that GMDcomputrack shops will also rebuild them and they have more race oriented info on apprpriate spring rates.

-Waldo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: hawk suspention mods (dwaldman)

Are the Fox shocks really that good? Why would a used re-build Fox be better that a Penske? Thanks for the Hawk Chris...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: hawk suspention mods (ekim)

Penske would be the best! They make a very good product. You would have a
hawk if you got the Penske!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I have a penske rear shock that was put on by the previous own of my hawk that has less than 1000 miles on it, make me an offer if you want. I am puting my ohlins on from my old bike i crashed. I will send you pics.if you want.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: hawk suspention mods (pit)

not really sure what it is worth. I posted this for my buddy but i'm sure he'd be intersted. Just tell me what you would be looking to get for this so i can tell him. Thanks and yes please send some pics to [email protected]. Thank you very much

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Can you still get an Ohlins? I've got a friend who's got one on his '88.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Guest said:
I have a penske rear shock that was put on by the previous own of my hawk that has less than 1000 miles on it, make me an offer if you want. I am puting my ohlins on from my old bike i crashed. I will send you pics.if you want.
please email me some pictures if yo still have it availble.

[email protected]

·
calculating status...
1,668 Posts
I'd like to know more about the 900rr shock install. Do I use the Hawk spring? Is the spring long enough? What is the stock rate?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts