Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I'll fix it.
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 08 I picked up a clean, mostly original 89 Hawk GT, after 20 years of wanting one:

it had been sitting, so carbs were cleaned, along with fresh intake boots:

I replaced the chain and sprockets, but noticed the cush drive rubbers were pretty hammered, so those got replaced too:

Im a pretty big guy, and the stock 20 year old suspension was severely overwhelmed. I didnt want to go thru the trouble of grafting on a diff front end, so I threw everything race tech makes at the stock forks. Correct rate springs, cartridge emulators, superslick bushings, etc. along with a fresh set of oem seals...the origs were well past their prime but somehow werent leaking:

out back, I got a little more serious:

Since I stuck with stock forks, I had to made the best of the stock single front rotor setup. Cue EBC rotor/HH pads, stainless line and a full system rebuild:

one of the previous owners had done a horrible hackjob on the rear fender (btw I also got some custom RC31 decals made):

I found a free unchopped orig fender, but it looked less than appealing:

Some elbow grease and careful painting had it looking good:

·
I'll fix it.
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...continued

When I bought the bike it had a few small tears in the seat, which I wasnt too concerned with....daily use had them growing rapidly. I lucked into a custom covered seat on ebay for $100:

Ive always liked the looks of white wheels on a red bike, so I nabbed another set of wheels (I think I paid $130 for the set) and had them powdercoated:

They look pretty good imo:

One day someone traded in a ratty old yamaha seca II, which does not have a round headlight...and they had grafted onto the bare fairing bracket, a ducati headlight cowl/flyscreen. The bike was so ratty it was going straight to auction anyway, so I nabbed it. shame it wasnt red:

I used KLR650 engine brackets to mount it, so its plenty stable:

The bike had cheap emgo mirrors on it that were starting to get a little rattly, so I grabbed a set of K&S technologies GT mirrors:

And the obligatory Deal's Gap trip:

where it held its own nicely:

As of late 2010, any further hawk projects are on hold since I went and bought this, and have been piling up the miles on it:

·
-_-
2,284 Posts
Hey, nice build. I don´t dig the bike´s styling, but the effort is really good. I´d like to see more of that kind of stuff.

·
Silverback
307 Posts
I love the white wheels. I got a few miles in on my 'wife's' Hawk the other night. That little shit is going to be so much fun!

·
Silverback
307 Posts

·
I'll fix it.
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd love to have that front end.
Not to hijack my own thread here, but I have a wheel, forks, axle/spacer/speedo drive, fender, & calipers off a 93 CBR600F2 with galfer wave rotors installed. They arent any more advanced tech-wise than the hawk forks, but they are dual disc and bolt right up (the setup came off a friend's hawk) I decided not to use it because I had already modded the hawk front end so much.

I'll take $250 for the set. I also have some other spare hawk bits if youre in need of anything.

·
Silverback
307 Posts
Not to hijack my own thread here, but I have a wheel, forks, axle/spacer/speedo drive, fender, & calipers off a 93 CBR600F2 with galfer wave rotors installed. They arent any more advanced tech-wise than the hawk forks, but they are dual disc and bolt right up (the setup came off a friend's hawk) I decided not to use it because I had already modded the hawk front end so much.

I'll take $250 for the set. I also have some other spare hawk bits if youre in need of anything.
I'd have to say I might have hijacked this thread first!:D

I appreciate the offer, but after spending my tax return on a bike, instead of suspension for my RC, I'm out of money.:mad: I will keep you in mind for parts and misc stuff however, thanks!

Plus, I want to put a GSXR front end or something a bit more modern/usd on there. These bikes look great for their age and the updated forks really set them off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts