Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got lots of track days planned. Just installed an Eckhart Trailer Hitch. Now I just need to find a trailer. I am partial to the kendon- folds up; quality construction. Got another suggestion??

Modified by socal at 8:23 PM 5/20/2005

Modified by socal at 9:52 PM 5/20/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (JesseJames)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JesseJames »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.trailerinabag.com for a small stowable trailer.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

For $995 and it doesn't have lights to make it street legal?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (CaliDuc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CaliDuc »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

For $995 and it doesn't have lights to make it street legal?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

it doesn't look to sturdy to me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes your paying for the ability to fold it up and put it in a closet.

Surprisingly it is sturdy my friend has one and loves it. You wouldn't be able to load 800+ lb hogs on it if it wasn't.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Have Hitch Will Travel (socal)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by socal »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I am partial to the kendon- folds up; quality construction. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have the Kendon single bike trailer. You won't know it's back there. Easy to load and unload too. Nice torsion bar suspension. Stands up in the garage and takes up little space. Worth it in my opinion.

One thing: GET THE FULL SIZE SPARE. It mounts under the trailer and lets you set the fully-loaded trailer down without having the end touch the floor. Kendon offers a fold down stand but it's crap. Get the spare.

Note: Tire size on the Kendon is B78-13. They look like car tires and are not those little trailer wheels with tiny little tires. It's a solid trailer.

Modified by DanST4 at 6:04 PM 5/21/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the accolades all. The Trailer in a Bag looks interesting. I just wonder about stability, i.e. the trailer bouncing around on 8" wheels. For a few hundred more maybe I could pick-up a used Kendon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Have Hitch Will Travel (socal)

I am looking to get one of these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/c...90154
They are pretty good for being so cheap. Does anyone know how a trailer is registered/plated in CA? A friend just told me his monster and a 749 are being hauled to the track on a trailer pulled by a minicooper!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Have Hitch Will Travel (duc_748)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by duc_748 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am looking to get one of these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/c...90154
They are pretty good for being so cheap. Does anyone know how a trailer is registered/plated in CA? A friend just told me his monster and a 749 are being hauled to the track on a trailer pulled by a minicooper!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's funny you ask. I was also looking at those when I was in Harbor Freight a while back. I asked one of the employees the same exact question regarding DMV. He didn't have a clue and they were so busy I didn't bother asking anyone else. The trailers look of decent quality and I don't think you will find one cheaper. When it is time for me to buy a trailer, Harbor freight is where I will be going. Along with a stop at Lowe's to get some good plywood to make it how I want it.

Anyone else know anything about the dmv sitch with these?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Have Hitch Will Travel (CaliDuc)

my buddy has one and its actually really a good deal, the build quality is nice for the cost. Anyone know how to sort out a trailer with the DMV here in CA?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Have Hitch Will Travel (duc_748)

As far as I know, all you need are lights on it, and an identification stamp on the axle and the tongue. Then DMV will inspect it and issue registration. At least that is how it is done on homebuilt stuff. I would think these would come stamped with a number or a sticker with the numbers. Of course you would have to fork out a whopping $19.00 for a light kit and install it. Does your friend have his registered?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Have Hitch Will Travel (CaliDuc)

i think it acutally comes with the lights, read the description to doulble check. my buddy is in NJ, so I am not sure if they even require a plate?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you end up getting the Harbor Freight trailer or the Trailer in a Bag, and screw all the pieces and hardware and wiring together, and everything fits and lines up nice, be sure to post a picture of your $58k Mercedes E500 pulling your $20k Ducati on top of a $249 trailer. That'll be a keeper!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Have Hitch Will Travel (DanST4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DanST4 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you end up getting the Harbor Freight trailer or the Trailer in a Bag, and screw all the pieces and hardware and wiring together, and everything fits and lines up nice, be sure to post a picture of your $58k Mercedes E500 pulling your $20k Ducati on top of a $249 trailer. That'll be a keeper!</TD></TR></TABLE>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Have Hitch Will Travel (waterboy420)

I think this might be a case of more money than brains!

P.S. I can't believe you 1. Actually found a hitch that fit and 2. Actually put it on. This strikes me the same as a Mercedes station wagon...why?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And use some cheap manila rope instead of tie-downs. Take a picture, e-mail it to your friends. Send it to priceless.com. That picture could make it around the world.

I'm just joking here... I looked at the trailer at Harbor Freight. I admit, it looks like you get a lot for the money. Same with Trailer-In-A-Bag. I'd probably get some of the joints welded but that's just me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Have Hitch Will Travel (casjoker)

1) It was custom 2) without the hitch the receiver is barely noticeable 3) Why not?

I think I am going with a Kendon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yep, the trailer in nj has to be registered and have a plate. the mini makes plenty of power, just looks funny towing a trailer longer than it is.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts