Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today as i was riding, I started to smell coolant.
So i look down and nothing was leaking so i drove the bike to a parking lot.
When i shut the engine off there was coolant leaking in the front of the bike.
the temp only got up to about 210 when this happened.
I dont got time to look at it this weekend now, but where shoul i start to look for a problem.
I had just recenetly got my 12 K mile service done about 400 miles ago, and the bike has 11,900 miles on it.
Could it have gotten over filled and when the temp when up it just was leaking out or is there something really wrong i need to look into it.
Thanks for any help
Ron

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Had a little problem today. (998)

Probably a crack in the coolant tank right behind the steering head. Pretty common, but I haven't lost one yet. That said, mine will probably fail tomorrow.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Had a little problem today. (Phil 998)

I know what you are talking about would I be able to see it with the fairings off ?
As i stated rearlier i dont got the time this weekend now to look at it just wanna try to narrow it down before i start to look at it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Had a little problem today. (998)

Not necessarily, they tend to crack at a mold line and only show under pressure. You need to pull the tank and air box to access it, only a few minutes work.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Had a little problem today. (Phil 998)

I agree Ron, that is most likely the problem. But like Phil said up there it only leaks under pressure unless is split wide open. The good news is that they are about $35 and easy to change out.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Had a little problem today. (section8superbike)

Yup, hard to see..only under pressure (unless its big)....get an Aluminum one

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sometimes when they get hot you can see them pissing out. it s a pretty easy fix.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: (gixracer)

...or they only leak when you ride...even after changing the tank, hoses, and clamps like mine....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: (yellowduck996)

Ok, I had a chance to look at the bike today, and cannot determine where it is leaking at so i got the bike up to 220 and shut it off and there was no leak anywhere.
There might not have been enough coolant in the bike to go back into the coolant overflow, i am thinking.
What is another way i can check to see if the bottle is cracked without removing everyhting, and also what coolant shuld i buy from the local bike shop for my bike.
Jason, if you read this, do you have the coolant overflow tanks in stock , incase this is my problem ?
Also if it is cracked is there a way i can temp fix it till i get my new one in ?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: (998)

Should i look into getting the low temp fan switch kit also.
I live in Las Vegas and it get up to 115 degrees, but no humidity.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts