Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if there should be any grease on the bolts? They look like they have dried white lithium grease. The manual doesn't say anything about grease on the bolts though. The lower bolts were kind of a pain to get out even after pulling the nuts off. I don't suppose it would hurt anything to put a little grease on them right?

I'm finally got around to installing some bling-bling:

·
Padawan Member
24 Posts
I'd grease them (I'm about to install the same shock and linkage) My suspansion guy (@ HM Racing) said to use an aquaphilic grease. I picked up some Castrol bearing grease from the local car store. Good luck and nice bling.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
Pretty sure that's not dried up lithium grease. Every bike i've ever seen that has been ridden in places where it snows has this on their bolts. Fairly certain its corrosion from the road elements. If you use some Maxima(or variation thereof) marine grease you shouldn't have any issues. Check them every 3 few years or so to make sure they still have some lube on them. Good idea to do that for all axle bolts(wheels and swinger) as well.
In really harsh conditions (and maybe due to a lack of rigorous cleaning schedule) i've seen bolts on the calipers start to corrode. If you put a very thin coat on the brake pad retainer pins(not on the threads) and then some high heat rvt silicon over the heads after bolted down these should be protected from the elements. Same goes for the rear caliper. Brake caliper mounting bolts aren't such an issue on our bikes, but have seen severely corroded bolts on a few radial mount claiper bolts that had to have the heads cut off and then wrestled out of the fork feet. If you put a very thin coat along the shaft of these bolts(not anywhere near the threads) then they wont ever seize or gall.
And lastly keep an eye on the axle pinch bolts. If riding in harsh conditions(spring rides with road salts still not yet washed away) it would be a good idea to coat the pinch bolts too. Might even consider switching to antiseize on the threads. And if you put a reall good cleaning on the rotor bolts you can cover them(the heads) with high temp RVT/silicon to protect them as well. Its easy to peel off if/when one needs to pull off a rotor.

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, thanks for th info!

That makes sense about it being corrosion and not grease. I'll put some marine grease on them. I have ridden the bike in rain, and this is probably the first time these have been apart since new. I'll keep an eye on them.

·
Shane RC51
889 Posts
I coat mine in wheel bearing grease...

·
And Stateside again...
2,537 Posts
Just remember grease collects dirt so if you ride in dry dusty conditions grease can cause problems.

I use wheel bearing grease very lightly but take it apart and clean before I put the bike away for the year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts