Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody ever change there shifting out to gp style? did you like it? i just picked up a cbr 1100xx shift pedal and im thinking about just switching it up wondering if anyone else has tried it

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: gp shifting (memphis speed)

A couple of guys have done so. Some with no problems others with tons of pain. SO take your time to rethink and retrain yourself to use the new pattern of shifting.

Also make a note when you jump between bikes or lend your bikes to others because it's going to cost some plastic weld or mula to get it back to normal

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I switched to gp shift this spring and I dig it. I switched after the long winter so that I could practice while I was still rusty. Feels more natural than standard shift to me. Just don't forget to pull up before going into a corner and push down when coming out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: gp shifting (3stripes)

I did it about a week after I bought the RC (had it done to my TLR and GSXR too before that.) I now have a CBR 1K and am back to conventional (have to buy new rear sets for this one) and am right back to normal shifting with only a couple of screw ups at first but nothing major.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: gp shifting (3stripes)

Yea I tried it and I never really got confortable with it so i'm back to conventional shifting.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it jsut seems like it would be more natural picking up into th corner for me but i didnt know if anybody was doing it how did you change yours (jamarben)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: gp shifting (rctavo)

I've done it to most of my bikes. I prefer it. It's all a matter of personal preference. Just try it. If you don't like it, you can always put it back

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

The only advantage, they say, is easier & quicker upshifts. Swantz, Mladin, and other's have done pretty good without it.
I didn't make the switch as I'd have to have every bike switched. Even borrowed bikes or my dirtbike.
My brain has enough to deal with with all the hot chick's & the occasional reference point, while out there.
I endurance raced with a buddy a couple of times; he was GP, I was standard (shifting too). We had to flip the shifter on our GSXR during pit stops. We had one person just to do that, and got it done by the time it was fueled - every time. I don't recommend that though

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: gp shifting (WERA 31)

I did it and like it. Again, as Wild Child said, it's all just personal preference.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i did it and am absolutely crazy about it. on the track power shifting is so much more natural. i did it earlier in my riding career, however, so it was easier for me to switch.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oh yeah

Did it. Dig it.
Grabbing another gear in left handers will never be easier. Takes a while to get truly embedded (I would still go the wrong way for a few weeks in high stress situations, ie crazy traffic), but once it gets in there, it works out great, street or track.

Mladin apparently uses "stock" shifting, I don't know how does it, I guess he plans his lefts better than I do.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (dustins)

I did it and changed it back, but not til I highsided myself to the moon at Buttonwillow clicking into first instead of third. Broke my right hand, which will never will be the same again. I practiced on the street for a month without a problem but went into auto-pilot on the track. I've been riding for over two decades with "normal" shifting so I guess I'll stick with 5 up-1 down, I know many pro racers that do for the same reason.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (weasel)

i am using it since day one....for me its easier than the conventional..but once i used the other bike, it give me headache coz i alwiz forgot that it different from my rc..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In long left-handers it is impossible to upshift with the conventional setup because you can't fit your toe under the shift lever. I like the way upshifts feel better, too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: (oljackboy)

thats the problem i was having upshifts in a hard left or those long drawn out lefts my toe keeps hitting the ground and dragging especially at places like "tail of the dragon" some of those turns are so tight im switching tonight after work

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I love it! I used the blackbird shifter arm also, works great. I had only been riding for around 2 years prior to the swap, so maybe easier to train myself. Less chance of snagging a toe upshifting leaned over, easier (for me) to upshift using a clutchless shift.. just weight the pedal and let off the throttle, goes right in. I have a CRF with standard shifting, and usually only have to work it out for 5 minutes or so before the different pattern is engrained in my head. Haha, 5 minutes of up 5 down 1, wait down 5 up 1, where is neutral, damn I was in 5 the whole time no wonder I cant find neutral.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts