Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's gonna suck not working at a motorcycle shop anymore!! Now I have to decide what I wanna do. I think I may wanna go back to school, something in the network security field. Anyone here have any insight for me concerning this field of work?

·
Registered
28 Posts
No insight, but best of luck. Something will turn up.

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
That sucks. Hope it turns out to be for the better in the long run.

What kind of school are you looking to get into? There are various ways to get into any networking kind of job. It really depends on what type of schools are in your area and what programs they offer. My wife is going back to school after five years in the navy as an IT. They didn't really have what she was looking for here, so she is going for a bachelors in business information systems or something like that.

Oh, and if you are talking about going to a community college or a four year school, don't forget to fill out a fasfa and get all the financial aid you can. Since I technically don't make very much money, I qualify for a pell grant, and a few other little grants, and my school kicks in and pays for the rest with a program that they have. I'm also a veteran, so I'm using the gi-bill, and wind up getting 100% of my tuition back into my pocket, and a monthly check. but you gotta put in some time for all that ;)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sucks. Hope it turns out to be for the better in the long run.

What kind of school are you looking to get into? There are various ways to get into any networking kind of job. It really depends on what type of schools are in your area and what programs they offer. My wife is going back to school after five years in the navy as an IT. They didn't really have what she was looking for here, so she is going for a bachelors in business information systems or something like that.

Oh, and if you are talking about going to a community college or a four year school, don't forget to fill out a fasfa and get all the financial aid you can. Since I technically don't make very much money, I qualify for a pell grant, and a few other little grants, and my school kicks in and pays for the rest with a program that they have. I'm also a veteran, so I'm using the gi-bill, and wind up getting 100% of my tuition back into my pocket, and a monthly check. but you gotta put in some time for all that ;)
I have to go and talk to the few schools that are here to find out what kind of classes are offered and what kind of grants are out there. I am hope there will be some kind of grants to help me out.

Thanks guys for all the kind words, and please keep the info coming.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Are you still in the P cola area? We need a parts person and a service advisor at GSPS

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you still in the P cola area? We need a parts person and a service advisor at GSPS
No I live in the FWB area. Or I would be knocking on your door....lol.

That is awesome, this network has helped me out more than a few times but I hope this pans out for you Jess!
Thanks Kirt.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
When something that seems bad happens to a good person, many times it open up another door in their life for the better. I'll bet something good will dome of this, good luck!

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
The way things are going for the bike industry, there may be many shops closing in the next couple of years.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
238 Posts
No I live in the FWB area. Or I would be knocking on your door....lol.
Yeah, that's a bit of a drive,but, if you need it come in and you'll be hired on the spot:)

·
chimp on my shoulder
2,437 Posts
aww man that sucks. sorry to hear about it, tough times out there for many companies. good luck. If you should find yourself in Maryland around march lemme know. my guys make about 30 bucks an hour. it ain't glamorous, but it pays the bills.

·
Registered
236 Posts
you can move up to northen minnesota and work on starting my car every morning since i dont have auto started instaled yet!!!!!!!
the hours are not good, the pay is the same and its cold

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that. I was out of work for a while last year and it was a pretty bad time in terms of stress. The market looks a little better than has been though so hopefully it wont take you long.

IT is still a good field to get into if you can, but it's not what it used to be. If you can get into the health care side of it you should be OK.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

·
RC51 only 4stroke I liked
168 Posts
Here is an idea for schooling!
Get yourself a bunch of PC's, just the boxes, install linux in them, make them as different kind of servers (apache, SQL, PHP, etc.) and get a copy of wikileaks or something controversial that will attract hackers to hack in and erase it. When you get to the point that you have less than a few break ins and have to restore the system in 24hrs you have become employable! :)

If you get the FΒΙ hunting after you that would be an expert certificate that can get you 6 digit salaries!!

Are you an insomniac? Coffee is good!

It's gonna suck not working at a motorcycle shop anymore!! Now I have to decide what I wanna do. I think I may wanna go back to school, something in the network security field. Anyone here have any insight for me concerning this field of work?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Education is the best investment you can make in your position (unemployed and young).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts