Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for a little while.
It has been a LONG time since I bought a new Helmet. Dont even remember how long it took for my older helmet to "break in".
Is that whats going on?
I feel pressures and discomfort on all new places near my ears and cheeks. Plus this new helmet is not nearly as "noise suppressent" as my 4 yr old, which is the most worry some issue. I worry of I have bought a wrong helmet.
OR is it just going to take time to break in and settle.
Help please...

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
arais are noisy helmets as far as fit.. did you try the other shaped Arais? or you just went with the color design you liked?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
That model Arai just may not fit your grape? Sure you can get different pads but if the shell isn't right no ammount of padding is going to fix that, in the long run
The RX-7III's were noisey I've heard the RX-7IV are even louder. See if the dealer can replace it with a Doohan theme on a different shell. If such a thing exist?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Buy some earplugs for the noise. I rode without earplugs all my life up untill a few months ago. Wearing them is one of the best things I've ever tried.

·
Infrequent Visitor
1,996 Posts
Yes.

Most people buy helmets that are 1 or even 2 sizes too large according to an Arai fitting video I once watched.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are right..
My size is 56 1/2 and according to Arai I "could" have bought a small...
But i chose to get a medium and compromised optimum fit for comfort..or so I thought.
I will let the helmet break in and then order couple of tighter pads.
The ear plugs is a great Idea, I have a stock exhaust on the 998 and once I get the 1/2 system in a couple of weeks, I will HAVE to get earplugs..
On the positive side, the veting and weight on teh helmet is awesome..
I couldnt believe there was a helmet in the box when it came.
There are 5 vents on the front and they work really well..

·
lidzduc.blogspot.com
3,578 Posts
kam1996 said:
You are right..
My size is 56 1/2 and according to Arai I "could" have bought a small...
But i chose to get a medium and compromised optimum fit for comfort..or so I thought.
I will let the helmet break in and then order couple of tighter pads.
The ear plugs is a great Idea, I have a stock exhaust on the 998 and once I get the 1/2 system in a couple of weeks, I will HAVE to get earplugs..
On the positive side, the veting and weight on teh helmet is awesome..
I couldnt believe there was a helmet in the box when it came.
There are 5 vents on the front and they work really well..
Arai doesn't sell over the internet for the exact reason your helmet may not fit you. They reccommend being fitted by an approved dealer before purchase..That said...try a different shape shell (Arai makes three)!!

·
Geez. Some people...
1,615 Posts
This is exactly why every time the topic of "which helmet should I buy" comes up, we try to stress that you should always try on a variety of helmets before you buy!

There are some fabulous helmets out there, but if they don't fit you like a glove right off the bat... don't buy them!

I would LOVE to be able to have some of the great racer replicas that Arai offers, but I am stuck with the choices they have in their Signet line, because that's the only one they make that fits me. I know this, because I've tried on every helmet Arai makes (as well as Shoeis, Suomys, AGV's, OGK's, and a couple of others).

I would never buy a helmet, sight unseen, just because I like the paint job.

Your best bet at this point is to sell it on eBay and go shop for a helmet that fits you!

As for noise...

Arai's do tend to be a little noisier than some others, but regardless of how quiet your helmet is, earplugs are always a good idea.

:twocents :twocents :twocents

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for your feedback...

I did try the Quantum II at the local Honda dealer before buying, but puting it on at teh dealer is one thing and riding with it is another.
I am hoping that the discomfort around teh side/ear area is going to mostl;y go away as teh helmet breaks in. As far as noise is concerned, if most Arais are noisy then i am stuck with the noise.
I have drooled over the Doohan replica for near a decade and now that I have it, I will try to live with it, unless it gets very uncomfortable.
Thanks again

·
Registered
245 Posts
TrickLidz said:
Arai doesn't sell over the internet for the exact reason your helmet may not fit you. They reccommend being fitted by an approved dealer before purchase..That said...try a different shape shell (Arai makes three)!!
Yep and when I asked the Arai rep WHO is certifying the people to "fit" a helmet I got no answer. I doubt a bike shop is gonna send every parts person to be "trained" to fit a helmet.

·
Registered
210 Posts
AZ Scott said:
This is exactly why every time the topic of "which helmet should I buy" comes up, we try to stress that you should always try on a variety of helmets before you buy!

There are some fabulous helmets out there, but if they don't fit you like a glove right off the bat... don't buy them!

I would LOVE to be able to have some of the great racer replicas that Arai offers, but I am stuck with the choices they have in their Signet line, because that's the only one they make that fits me. I know this, because I've tried on every helmet Arai makes (as well as Shoeis, Suomys, AGV's, OGK's, and a couple of others).

I would never buy a helmet, sight unseen, just because I like the paint job.

Your best bet at this point is to sell it on eBay and go shop for a helmet that fits you!

As for noise...

Arai's do tend to be a little noisier than some others, but regardless of how quiet your helmet is, earplugs are always a good idea.

:twocents :twocents :twocents

+1+1+1+1+1

Signet is the only thing that fits me also. All AZs other comments are spot

on too. As far as your ear being pinched. I also have a Quantam (just trashed

my signet) that I've owned for about 3.5 yrs. It pinches my left ear. It only

gets worse as the ride goes on. A LOT worse.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Before you run off and sell your helment on ebay;

Take the cheek pads out and put the helment on. Verify that the helment fits the top of your head regarding both shape and size. If you can't get past this step you bought the wrong helment.

If the helment fits good without the cheek pads then you need to taylor the cheek pads. They make about 6 different thicknesses of cheek pads for a reason. Get the right one and you're set.

I just bought my third Arai Quantum and as usual, I've bought a set of 20mm check pads to replace the 25mm that come with the helment. Once I get the right thickness of cheek pad in the helment, it fits perfect.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bing: Thank you for your input..
I was planning on ordering new pads before i take a 50-100 loss on Ebay.
taking the pads out is a good idea. I think the worst part is near my ears and if I can get smaller pads for that area and may be bigger around the cheeks and top of head, it could be a perfect fit.
thanks again

1 - 14 of 14 Posts